Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > which OEM dvd writer to get?

which OEM dvd writer to get?

Yibbels

Hi all,

I plan to buy an OEM DVD DL writer and put it in a 5.25"
enclosure.

I have noticed that there can be large differences
in the reliabilities of different DVD writers.

For instance looking at reviews of some external USB
Memorex drives, one of them had a Lite-On OEM drive
inside, and was deemed unreliable according to reviewers
at videohelp.com. Two others had NEC OEM drives and
seemed to be OK.

Looking at the Lacie external drives, most use NEC
and people like them. A few use Matsushita and those
seem to work for people. A few use Pioneer and those
are well reviewed also.

Sony drives with Sony OEM drives inside don't review
well. Sony containing Ricoh seems to have problems.

I guess my question (finally) is, is there anywhere
a table that summarizes all of this? Surely some
clever web geek has come up with some cgi script
to handle such a thing?

I just plan to buy an enclosure and the drive
separately via newegg.com or somesuch. There is a
Memorex product that is on sale, but I can't find out
whose drive it contains, so it seems risky to buy it.

Thanks for any assistance!

theyak

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Hi all,
>
> I plan to buy an OEM DVD DL writer and put it in a 5.25"
> enclosure.
>
> I have noticed that there can be large differences
> in the reliabilities of different DVD writers.
>
> For instance looking at reviews of some external USB
> Memorex drives, one of them had a Lite-On OEM drive
> inside, and was deemed unreliable according to reviewers
> at videohelp.com. Two others had NEC OEM drives and
> seemed to be OK.
>
> Looking at the Lacie external drives, most use NEC
> and people like them. A few use Matsushita and those
> seem to work for people. A few use Pioneer and those
> are well reviewed also.
>
> Sony drives with Sony OEM drives inside don't review
> well. Sony containing Ricoh seems to have problems.
>
> I guess my question (finally) is, is there anywhere
> a table that summarizes all of this? Surely some
> clever web geek has come up with some cgi script
> to handle such a thing?
>
> I just plan to buy an enclosure and the drive
> separately via newegg.com or somesuch. There is a
> Memorex product that is on sale, but I can't find out
> whose drive it contains, so it seems risky to buy it.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!

NEC 3520.

Cheap. Great drive.

http://club.cdfreaks.com