Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Inexpensive, but reliable DVD burner?

Inexpensive, but reliable DVD burner?

fugitive

I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
TIA

greg

Greg
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

Frohike

"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
> TIA
>
> greg

Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.

fugitive

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
>> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
>> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
>> TIA
>>
>> greg

>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.

Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?

Greg
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

Dr Hackenbush

"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
>>> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
>>> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> greg

>>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
>>

> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?

nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

> Greg
> http://gregsplace.50megs.com
> http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

E. Barry Bruyea

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:18:08 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
wrote:

>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
>burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
>can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
>TIA
>
>greg

Their are many available today at less than $100.00 and in some cases
(with rebates) less than $60.00.

E. Barry Bruyea

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:53:05 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
>>> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
>>> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> greg

>>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
>>

>Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?

More capacity, but the problem is that right now the media is
ridiculously expensive.

>Greg
>http://gregsplace.50megs.com
>http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

Quantum Leaper

Dr Hackenbush wrote:
> "fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn
>>> for $70.
>>>

>> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?
>>

> nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

and about 7 times the price of a single layer DVD but prices are going down.

fugitive

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:46:31 GMT, "Dr Hackenbush"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
>>>

>> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?
>>

>nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

Wow, when did that come out, as I never heard of it?

Greg
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

fugitive

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:57:32 -0500, E. Barry Bruyea <it'(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:18:08 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
>wrote:
>
>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
>>burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
>>can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
>>TIA
>>
>>greg

>Their are many available today at less than $100.00 and in some cases
>(with rebates) less than $60.00.

Is Pioneer a good one?

Greg
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

TCS

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:33:33 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink> wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:46:31 GMT, "Dr Hackenbush"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?
>>>

>>nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

>Wow, when did that come out, as I never heard of it?

That's a good question. Double layer readers have existed since the dawn of DVD
movies.

You should have been surprised to learn of a writer being able to write to
a DL blank.

In any case, DL is still very new and still very expensive. A pack of
30 blank disks costs more than the burner.

<cue idiotic followup that it takes 20 or 40 disks to cost more than the
burner>