Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > PAL players playing NTSC

PAL players playing NTSC

Dan P.

Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well? Is this pretty
common among PAL DVD players?

Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?

Dan

Oldus Fartus

Dan P. wrote:
> Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well? Is this pretty
> common among PAL DVD players?

I have not seen a PAL only DVD player.

> Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
> ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?

No. Generally speaking the DVD player can be set to output either PAL
or NTSC, so it does not really matter what the TV is.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mr Mathews

My TV is settp PAL. Though i can play an NTSC dvd just fine? Why i
dont know MAgig i think :0

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:35:35 +0800, Oldus Fartus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dan P. wrote:
>> Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well? Is this pretty
>> common among PAL DVD players?

>I have not seen a PAL only DVD player.
>>
>> Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
>> ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?
>>

>No. Generally speaking the DVD player can be set to output either PAL
>or NTSC, so it does not really matter what the TV is.

damnfine

"Dan P." wrote:
> Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well?
> Is this pretty common among PAL DVD players?

Yes, it's absolutely standard.

> Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs,

Generally, no. If you set the DVD player to convert NTSC DVDs to PAL, then
it will output PAL60 as opposed to the broadcast standard PAL50 (I think
that's right, in any case it's something like that). This only becomes a
problem, though, if you have an embarassingly old TV set.

--
/^\damnfine/^\

Oldus Fartus

Mr Mathews wrote:

> My TV is settp PAL. Though i can play an NTSC dvd just fine? Why i
> dont know MAgig i think :0

No magic there! Your player is obviously outputting PAL.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mr Mathews

I guess mine is not old as i thought

its one of the first flatscreen. But not flat becuae its curved !!!!

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:00:07 +1030, "damnfine" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Dan P." wrote:
>> Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well?
>> Is this pretty common among PAL DVD players?

>Yes, it's absolutely standard.
>

>> Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs,

>Generally, no. If you set the DVD player to convert NTSC DVDs to PAL, then
>it will output PAL60 as opposed to the broadcast standard PAL50 (I think
>that's right, in any case it's something like that). This only becomes a
>problem, though, if you have an embarassingly old TV set.

Anthony

Both my DVD players handle PAL and NTSC discs equally well.
They don't convert NTSC to PAL; both machines (a Panasonic and a
Pioneer) give true NTSC or PAL output. My German Loewe
anamorphically-capable television, which I bought here in Australia,
automatically recognises whether it's receiving a PAL or NTSC
formatted signal, and switches accordingly -- it's a totally invisible
process.

PAL DVDS and playing them in NTSC PLAYER jeffambrose424@gmail.com DVD Video 4 08-08-2007 12:58 AM
Can NTSC Camcorder be viewed through a multi-system VCR on a PAL TV? amer Computer Support 2 02-01-2004 12:33 PM
How to check whether VCD is Pal or NTSC?? Bummer Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 03:49 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
Convert NTSC videos to PAL format David Wood Computer Support 0 11-17-2003 09:34 PM

Advertisments