Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > RE: DVD backup legality question

RE: DVD backup legality question

Rob

"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <wjRVd.27062$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

and

where
> >ever

> >must

premiums
> >go

many
> >of

> >> Oh bull. Just take photos of all the items.

> >Right! Now let's see ... should I take a photo of every DVD I
> >buy, save the receipts, or???

> And just watch the rights owners say that photos are violating the
> DCM

Justin

Rob wrote on [Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:17:37 -0600]:
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Rob wrote on [Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:57:46 -0600]:
>> > "Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news1JVd.565156$6l.331507@pd7tw2no...

> ever

> must
>> > be

> go
>> > up

>> > Plus many insurance companies will insist on getting receipts. How many

> of
>> > you keep DVD receipts?

>> Oh bull. Just take photos of all the items.

> Right! Now let's see ... should I take a photo of every DVD I buy, save the
> receipts, or???

Not individually. As groups. Just enough to read the spine on all of
them should suffice.

Justin

Biz wrote on [Fri, 04 Mar 2005 06:22:03 GMT]:

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WvNVd.27011$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Stuart Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news1JVd.565156$6l.331507@pd7tw2no...
>> >
>> > "LesV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:C4IVd.97402$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Generally, insurance covers ALL of your (non listed) belongings where

> ever
>> > they may be - in your car, at a friend's place etc. High value items

> must
>> be
>> > listed.
>> > However, there is usually a $300 o rmore deductable, and your premiums

> go
>> up
>> > if you have a claim, so under $1000 it is not worth claiming.
>> >
>> > Stuart
>> >

>> Plus many insurance companies will insist on getting receipts. How many of
>> you keep DVD receipts?
>>

> Most dont require receipts if you maintain a household inventory, which you
> would need to do anyway. But do you blame them with all the insurance fruad
> thats rampant in many locales?

Anyone found a good application to inventory with? I have DVD Profiler
for my DVDs, but what about other media and other items.

Rob

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Rob wrote on [Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:17:37 -0600]:
> > "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

and

where
> > ever

> > must

premiums
> > go

many
> > of
> >>
> >> Oh bull. Just take photos of all the items.

> > Right! Now let's see ... should I take a photo of every DVD I buy, save

the
> > receipts, or???

> Not individually. As groups. Just enough to read the spine on all of
> them should suffice.

And you would do that >just< before they get stolen or get destroyed in a
fire to make sure the list is current? I think your insurance company may
want to talk to you about why you took that picture

Justin

Rob wrote on [Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:39:06 -0600]:
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Rob wrote on [Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:17:37 -0600]:
>> > "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

> and

> where
>> > ever
>> > must

> premiums
>> > go

> many
>> > of

>> > Right! Now let's see ... should I take a photo of every DVD I buy, save

> the
>> > receipts, or???

>> Not individually. As groups. Just enough to read the spine on all of
>> them should suffice.
>>

> And you would do that >just< before they get stolen or get destroyed in a
> fire to make sure the list is current? I think your insurance company may
> want to talk to you about why you took that picture

Because that is what they suggested I do! For what I may not have a
photo of I have in my online DVD Profiler database.

Alpha

news:ni%Vd.27115$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Rob wrote on [Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:17:37 -0600]:
>> > "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

> and

> where
>> > ever
>> > must

> premiums
>> > go

> many
>> > of

>> > Right! Now let's see ... should I take a photo of every DVD I buy, save

> the
>> > receipts, or???

>> Not individually. As groups. Just enough to read the spine on all of
>> them should suffice.
>>

> And you would do that >just< before they get stolen or get destroyed in a
> fire to make sure the list is current? I think your insurance company may
> want to talk to you about why you took that picture

It is essential to have video or photos of everything at risk and insured.
Otherwise, you get in a situation where the insurance company will discount
your assessment of what you had and what is was worth...heavily.

Rob

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ni%Vd.27115$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

briefcase
> > and

news:mNHVd.318088$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > where

> > premiums

> > many

save
> > the
> >>
> >> Not individually. As groups. Just enough to read the spine on all of
> >> them should suffice.
> >>

> > And you would do that >just< before they get stolen or get destroyed in

> > fire to make sure the list is current? I think your insurance company

may
> > want to talk to you about why you took that picture
> >

> It is essential to have video or photos of everything at risk and insured.
> Otherwise, you get in a situation where the insurance company will

discount
> your assessment of what you had and what is was worth...heavily.

I could see that if you have a classic car that has been fully restored, but
it would be almost impossible to document everything you have in your home
.... especially things like DVDs. Best best is to claim a loss for 200% of
what you actually lost.

Guncho

LesV wrote:
> Is it legal to back up a DVD title you own, and on what basis?
>
> Example:
>
> I have a considerable collection of DVDs that I play often. I take

real
> good care of them, always returning them to their sleeve after

playing, etc
> However, a friend of mine recently had a fire and lost his whole

collection
> and I realized the same thing could happen to me. That would be a

major
> bummer!
>
> I'd like to make backups to insure against loss or destruction of the
> original material.
> The only way to protect it would be to store it away from the

original
> DVD.(i.e. not in my house or car). Safety deposit boxes would be way

> expensive.
>
> Can I make copies for someone else to hold for me? In exchange, in

lieu of
> a expensive fee or monthly storage charges, I would be willing to

hold their
> backup copies on a one disk to one disk basis with the understanding

that I
> can't view theirs, and they can't view mine.
>
> Sort of a mutual protection to mutual protection (MP2MP)

{LOL}network, club,
> or organization.
>
> What are the legal issues involved?

"Can I make copies for someone else to hold for me? In exchange, in
lieu of
a expensive fee or monthly storage charges, I would be willing to hold
their
backup copies on a one disk to one disk basis with the understanding
that I
can't view theirs, and they can't view mine. "

Holy crap you people?!?!?!? What do you think the FBI is come busting
down your door if you watch one of your friends backed upped movies???

GET A GRIP!

Chris

Biz

news:vK4Wd.27160$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I could see that if you have a classic car that has been fully restored,

but
> it would be almost impossible to document everything you have in your home
> ... especially things like DVDs. Best best is to claim a loss for 200% of
> what you actually lost.

This is why the insurance companies are getting tougher on claims...if
people were honest, and didnt try to fraud the insurance companies, then
this problem would not exist.

Justin

Biz wrote on [Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:52:13 GMT]:

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vK4Wd.27160$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I could see that if you have a classic car that has been fully restored,

> but
>> it would be almost impossible to document everything you have in your home
>> ... especially things like DVDs. Best best is to claim a loss for 200% of
>> what you actually lost.
>>

> This is why the insurance companies are getting tougher on claims...if
> people were honest, and didnt try to fraud the insurance companies, then
> this problem would not exist.

If everyone was honest a lot of problems wouldn't exist.

Researching legality of copying out of print DVD johnebullock@gmail.com DVD Video 5 12-14-2007 04:18 AM
Legality of type conversion on instance ports? Brandon VHDL 1 08-04-2005 04:57 AM
DVD backup legality RichA DVD Video 49 02-17-2005 03:12 PM
Action Pack - legality? BWGames Microsoft Certification 8 12-02-2004 07:37 PM
Complicated music downloading legality question vbMark Computer Support 14 11-12-2004 06:40 AM

Advertisments