Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Exorcist: The Begining

Exorcist: The Begining

Owl Jolson

I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least a
'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

Jay G.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:28:44 -0600, Owl Jolson wrote:

> I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
> absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
> Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least a
> 'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

The DVD for sale has a making of, a commentary track, and the trailer for
the film.

-Jay

AceoHearts

I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday and the disc has, a Making of
Featurette, trailers, and commentary. Looks like either there are 2
versions or you got a bad DVD.

AceoHearts

Incremental Jones

"Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
> absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
> Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least
> 'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite direction.

M.B.

Incremental Jones wrote:
> "Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
>>absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
>>Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least
>>'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite direction.

They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
Paul Schrader version at a later date.

TB

"M.B." wrote:

>>>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there
>>>were
>>>absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
>>>Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at
>>>least a
>>>'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

>> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
>> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
>> direction.

> They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
> Paul Schrader version at a later date.

Continuing on this subject, I was surprised that the movie wasn't that bad,
certainly not the utter bomb I had heard it was when it opened in theaters.

Obviously it would have to be a catastrophic failure to match or surpass
Exorcist 2 and while I liked the genuinely creepy tone of E3, I think EtB is
a bit better and more entertaining movie. It almost reminds me of an
extended episode of X-Files or Millennium.

I certainly liked it a *lot* better than "Constantine."

T.B.

Incremental Jones

"M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4MqVd.5333$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Incremental Jones wrote:
>> "Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there
>>>were
>>>absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
>>>Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at
>>>least a
>>>'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

>> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
>> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
>> direction.

> They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
> Paul Schrader version at a later date.

That's gotta be a first but they have nothing to loose and a bit of expenses
to recoup.

I wonder if they'll ever release the original version of Kangaroo Jack that
didn't center on the kangaroo.
Not that I want to see it.

M.B.

TB wrote:

>>>I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
>>>this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
>>>direction.

>>They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
>>Paul Schrader version at a later date.

> Continuing on this subject, I was surprised that the movie wasn't that bad,
> certainly not the utter bomb I had heard it was when it opened in theaters.
>
> Obviously it would have to be a catastrophic failure to match or surpass
> Exorcist 2 and while I liked the genuinely creepy tone of E3, I think EtB is
> a bit better and more entertaining movie. It almost reminds me of an
> extended episode of X-Files or Millennium.
>
> I certainly liked it a *lot* better than "Constantine."
>
> T.B.

I was greatly disappointed by it. It was filled with a lot of cheap
scares and little to no substance. I'm curious to see what the Schrader
version is going to be like, assuming that the studio exec that produced
it (don't remember his name this instant) allows him to cut and edit it
the way he wants it to be edited.

andrew.upton4

This practice of releasing TWO versions of the same film on DVD is normal in
England.
The RENTAL version which you hire from Blockbuster etc has little or no
extras, whereas the RETAIL version has all the extras.
This is because the DVD manufacturers would rather you BUY the DVD instead
of RENTING it.
"Incremental Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k%qVd.5342$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4MqVd.5333$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Incremental Jones wrote:
> >> "Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions

of
> >> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
> >> direction.

> > They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
> > Paul Schrader version at a later date.

> That's gotta be a first but they have nothing to loose and a bit of

expenses
> to recoup.
>
> I wonder if they'll ever release the original version of Kangaroo Jack

that
> didn't center on the kangaroo.
> Not that I want to see it.

Incremental Jones

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OHsVd.1870$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This practice of releasing TWO versions of the same film on DVD is normal
> in
> England.
> The RENTAL version which you hire from Blockbuster etc has little or no
> extras, whereas the RETAIL version has all the extras.
> This is because the DVD manufacturers would rather you BUY the DVD instead
> of RENTING it.

I understand that, but I was referring to the release of two different
versions of the film itself. Paul Schrader directed a version of Exorcist
The Beginning which the producers hated so they hired a lesser but more
popularist director to shoot an entierly new version. Kangaroo Jack
apparently started out as a story of two guys in the outback but the only
good scenes were the ones with the kangaroo, so they shut down rewrote it to
be about the kangaroo and made it the cinema classic it is today.

> "Incremental Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k%qVd.5342$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4MqVd.5333$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> of
>> >
>> > They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
>> > Paul Schrader version at a later date.

>> That's gotta be a first but they have nothing to loose and a bit of

> expenses
>> to recoup.
>>
>> I wonder if they'll ever release the original version of Kangaroo Jack

> that
>> didn't center on the kangaroo.
>> Not that I want to see it.

Begining asp begining Evertjan. ASP General 1 04-05-2010 03:48 PM
Java for begining Tony Andreas Java 1 12-25-2007 08:31 PM
Why does string.find(x, npos) search from the begining of the string Adrian C++ 7 07-12-2007 03:33 PM
begining photography on a EOS 20d beginner Digital Photography 7 05-18-2005 05:38 PM
I begining to Hate WI-FI! Veritech Wireless Networking 2 08-24-2004 03:37 AM

Advertisments