Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TV programs may be copy protected - by hardware requirement

TV programs may be copy protected - by hardware requirement

Margrave of Brandenburg

"no one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Neill Massello wrote:
> > Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

> > Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
> > cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
> > French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

> Too late...it Was Congress's IDEA .. The Frequencies that Channel 2
> thru 66 Have been auctioned off to The CELL PHONE INDUSTRY
>
> Cell Phone companies Get Full use of those Freq's on JULY 1, 2006

But that's over the air, not on cable.

If the cable industry were to lose those allocations, they'd scream bloody
murder.
(They're a powerful lobby. Why else would we be stuck paying such high
prices for cable?)

Neill Massello

Mark Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Don't know what the cable/satellite penetration is, but would guess
> less than 1/2. Most people that I know do not get cable or satellite.
> We are generally talking about $35 per month and up for basic service.
> I know very vew with HD television.

The last figure I saw was that more than 70% of American households had
cable or satellite. The problem is that, even in those households, there
are sets that aren't connected to the cable or satellite -- in bedrooms,
kitchens, etc -- and almost none with digital tuners.

What the FCC is doing in regard to digital TV is analogous to having
approved a color TV standard in the late 1950s that wasn't compatible
with existing black and white sets, allowing the continued sale of
non-compatible sets, and then banning color broadcasts in the early
1960s when most sets still weren't color. It's nutty.

Richard C.

"Ronald Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-intl.com...
> "Margrave of Brandenburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D88DOU0G0.html

>> I'm glad my brand-new TV is all analog!

> You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

============================
And the day gets closer...........

Richard C.

"Neill Massello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gspogy.1r70fsv1blst93N%neillmassello@earthli nk.net...
> Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

> Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
> cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
> French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

=================================
Keep on dreaming!
The bandwidth has already been committed for other uses.
It will happen.

Gene E. Bloch

On 3/2/2005, Richard C. managed to type:
> --
>
> "Ronald Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-intl.com...
>> "Margrave of Brandenburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I'm glad my brand-new TV is all analog!

>> You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!
>>

> ============================
> And the day gets closer...........

If you take the two hyphens out of your post, most newsreaders will
think it's a post instead of a signature.

Mine, for one, shows your whole post in miniature italics, because the
pair of hyphens (as it should!) signals it that all that follows is a
signature file.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Margrave of Brandenburg

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4225d8fc$0$3199$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> --
>
> "Neill Massello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1gspogy.1r70fsv1blst93N%neillmassello@earthli nk.net...
> > Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

> > Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
> > cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
> > French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.
> >

> =================================
> Keep on dreaming!
> The bandwidth has already been committed for other uses.
> It will happen.

Nothing is certain. Digital TV was SUPPOSED to happen years ago. The
dreamers had to wait for reality to set in.

G. M. Watson

----------
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Mark
Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hasn't been auctioned yet, I don't believe.
>
> I am with Neill on this, I think that Congress will cave. I can't see
> half the country going out and buying a digital to analog converter at
> $300+ each.
>
> Don't know what the cable/satellite penetration is, but would guess
> less than 1/2. Most people that I know do not get cable or satellite.

Geez, I didn't know you even had TVs out in those Ozark backwoods.

Camper

"Mark Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hasn't been auctioned yet, I don't believe.
>
> I am with Neill on this, I think that Congress will cave. I can't see
> half the country going out and buying a digital to analog converter at
> $300+ each.

How do you get $300 each. In Australia which is not known for the lowest
prices the cost is down to about US$85.

Mark Burns

Just guessing from the cost of an HDTV tuner and what I remember
someone on television saying a while back...

There aren't many HDTV tuners arround. Here is the Best Buy selection
of two.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

To date I haven't seen a set top DTV/Analog converter box for sale. I
don't know why a DTV converter would be that much cheaper than an HDTV
receiver. They are both going to require a digital tuner.

One can get a fairly inexpensive HD tuner for the computer, but the set
top boxes are going to cost more.

I would expect the price to come down, but probably not for a while.

Maybe we'll all just give up on television and throw out both the
Republicans and Democrats and their fat media money friends, electing
true libertarian champions of the people.

And maybe pigs will fly...

Camper wrote:
> "Mark Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hasn't been auctioned yet, I don't believe.
> >
> > I am with Neill on this, I think that Congress will cave. I can't

see
> > half the country going out and buying a digital to analog converter

at
> > $300+ each.

> How do you get $300 each. In Australia which is not known for the

lowest
> prices the cost is down to about US$85.

no one

Camper wrote:
> "Mark Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Hasn't been auctioned yet, I don't believe.
>>
>>I am with Neill on this, I think that Congress will cave. I can't see
>>half the country going out and buying a digital to analog converter at
>>$300+ each.

> How do you get $300 each. In Australia which is not known for the lowest
> prices the cost is down to about US$85.

Thats FOR ONE TV..
3 Tv's Means 3 decorder's is close to the $300.00 figure