Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TV programs may be copy protected - by hardware requirement

TV programs may be copy protected - by hardware requirement

Ronald Cole

"Margrave of Brandenburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D88DOU0G0.html

> I'm glad my brand-new TV is all analog!

You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

Margrave of Brandenburg

"Ronald Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-intl.com...
> "Margrave of Brandenburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D88DOU0G0.html

> > I'm glad my brand-new TV is all analog!

> You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

I don't use broadcast signals. Haven't since I got cable in 1983.

Larry

In article <0gRUd.113$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> "Ronald Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-intl.com...
> > "Margrave of Brandenburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > > "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > I'm glad my brand-new TV is all analog!

> > You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

> I don't use broadcast signals. Haven't since I got cable in 1983.

While paying my cable bill yesterday, I asked about it and was told: "IF
(note the word IF) it comes to pass that the analog signals are shut down,
the cable company will be issuing decoders to all customers that dont
currently need one (I believe the charge for that is around $2 a month but I
didn't ask). They will be "down converting" the signal for analog TVs.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Neill Massello

Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

Mark Jones

"Neill Massello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gspogy.1r70fsv1blst93N%neillmassello@earthli nk.net...
> Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

> Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
> cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
> French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

Not likely. The bandwidth currently being used by analog TV
is supposed to be allocated for other purposes.

no one

Neill Massello wrote:
> Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

> Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
> cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
> French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

Too late...it Was Congress's IDEA .. The Frequencies that Channel 2
thru 66 Have been auctioned off to The CELL PHONE INDUSTRY

Cell Phone companies Get Full use of those Freq's on JULY 1, 2006

Mark Burns

Soon may be the time to learn!

Here are a couple of interesting links concerning broadcast flags:

http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/buildin.php

Bookmark that one!

A glimmer of hope here as judges warn the FCC that they are not
omnipotent:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...v-piracy_x.htm

Cheers...

Owamanga

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:29:00 -0500, no one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Neill Massello wrote:
>> Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>You won't be when the FCC orders that analog broadcasting cease!

>> Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
>> cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
>> French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

>Too late...it Was Congress's IDEA .. The Frequencies that Channel 2
>thru 66 Have been auctioned off to The CELL PHONE INDUSTRY
>
>Cell Phone companies Get Full use of those Freq's on JULY 1, 2006

Dammit, my little battery TV won't work after that, unless I get a
battery operated HDTV/Terrestral-Digital decoder that can supply it an
analog signal again.

--
Owamanga!

RichA

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:30:31 GMT, Owamanga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:29:00 -0500, no one <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Neill Massello wrote:

>>> Which will spark popular protest so intense that the FCC will quickly
>>> cave in or be overruled by Congress, thus ending this silly
>>> French-inspired exercise in progress by decree.

>>Too late...it Was Congress's IDEA .. The Frequencies that Channel 2
>>thru 66 Have been auctioned off to The CELL PHONE INDUSTRY
>>
>>Cell Phone companies Get Full use of those Freq's on JULY 1, 2006

>Dammit, my little battery TV won't work after that, unless I get a
>battery operated HDTV/Terrestral-Digital decoder that can supply it an
>analog signal again.

Well, at least it was auctioned. The spectrum the broadcast networks
use was basically given to them. I'd say they owed the public
something back.
-Rich

Mark Burns

Hasn't been auctioned yet, I don't believe.

I am with Neill on this, I think that Congress will cave. I can't see
half the country going out and buying a digital to analog converter at
$300+ each.

Don't know what the cable/satellite penetration is, but would guess
less than 1/2. Most people that I know do not get cable or satellite.
We are generally talking about $35 per month and up for basic service.
I know very vew with HD television.