Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

Reply
Thread Tools

MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

 
 
Bernie Woodham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2005


>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:35:24 -0500, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:34:19 +1300, "JA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
>>>>weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
>>>>admitted there are none?
>>> That's absolutely right. They moved them all to Syria
>>>prior to the U.S. invasion.
>>>

>>
>> Suppose for the sake of argument, Rich, that you are correct. Then
>> Saddam Hussein had complied with U. S. demands and no longer possessed
>> weapons of mass destruction. What possible justification could there
>> be for an American attack on his country under those circumstances?


I have a brother-in-law who uses the "moved them all to Syria" ruse. The
problem with this is you had Donald Rumsfield claiming before the war, "We
know exactly where they are. They are between Tikrit and Bagdad."

Now since the administration knew where they were to begin with, you know,
given our satelites and tracking abilites, that we could follow the movement
of these through Iraq and into Syria.

There is no way Bush would admit the absence of WMDs if he knew they were
moved to Syria.

So, it just doesn't hold up. Iraq had no WMDs and they were not moved to
Syria.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Turner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2005
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:24:01 -0600, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Because Bush told you?? Bush has been lying to you and the world since he
>learned how to talk.

__________________________________________________ _________

Nonsense. You can't 'prove' a negative thing, i.e., you can't prove
something does not exist, such as WMDs.

--
BT

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2005
Bill Turner wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:24:01 -0600, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Because Bush told you?? Bush has been lying to you and the world since he
>>learned how to talk.

>
> __________________________________________________ _________
>
> Nonsense. You can't 'prove' a negative thing, i.e., you can't prove
> something does not exist, such as WMDs.


Could someone prove that you do not have WMDs in your back yard?

That something is not practical does not make it impossible.


--
Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bernie Woodham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-02-2005

"Bill Turner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nonsense. You can't 'prove' a negative thing, i.e., you can't prove
> something does not exist, such as WMDs.
>
> --
> BT

Perhaps you cannot prove something does not exist theoretically, but in real
life we have a different standard of "proof". If there a woody area you
live near you might go hunting for bears. After searching through the woods
everyday for 20 years you have never encountered a bear and never seen much
evidence of them being around. You conclude that there are no bears in
those woods.

Of course, I guess you could assume that your experience doesn't prove there
are no bears and you could go hunting for another 20 years...

Again, are you saying we have no grounds to claim that the dodo bird is
extinct?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Turner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:14:51 GMT, "Bernie Woodham"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Again, are you saying we have no grounds to claim that the dodo bird is
>extinct?

__________________________________________________ _________

It depends on your standard of proof. Several species have been thought
extinct and later found not to be. Again I say: One can not absolutely
and finally prove something does not exist.

--
BT

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Turner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:16:59 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could someone prove that you do not have WMDs in your back yard?


__________________________________________________ _________

No, not absolutely. Could someone prove I don't have WMDs stashed
somewhere in the world?

--
BT

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-03-2005
Bill Turner wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:16:59 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Could someone prove that you do not have WMDs in your back yard?

>
>
> __________________________________________________ _________
>
> No, not absolutely. Could someone prove I don't have WMDs stashed
> somewhere in the world?



The point is...."You can't 'prove' a negative thing", used as a blanket
rule, is a falsity. For example, it likely cannot be proven that you
aren't a time traveller, but it can be proven that you are not a woman.

--
Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
grant kinsley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:24:27 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Turner wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:16:59 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Could someone prove that you do not have WMDs in your back yard?

>>
>>
>> __________________________________________________ _________
>>
>> No, not absolutely. Could someone prove I don't have WMDs stashed
>> somewhere in the world?

>
>
>The point is...."You can't 'prove' a negative thing", used as a blanket
>rule, is a falsity. For example, it likely cannot be proven that you
>aren't a time traveller, but it can be proven that you are not a woman.


However, that is not really proving a negative. One can prove the sex
of something or the colour or composition of something. The case here
is that proving the negative position only requires proof of some
other positive and the knowledge that only one state can exist.

The issue of "proving a negative" has to do with the existence of a
thing, not the state of that thing.

G

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
grant kinsley wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:24:27 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Bill Turner wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:16:59 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Could someone prove that you do not have WMDs in your back yard?
>>>
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________ ____________
>>>
>>>No, not absolutely. Could someone prove I don't have WMDs stashed
>>>somewhere in the world?

>>
>>
>>The point is...."You can't 'prove' a negative thing", used as a blanket
>>rule, is a falsity. For example, it likely cannot be proven that you
>>aren't a time traveller, but it can be proven that you are not a woman.

>
>
> However, that is not really proving a negative. One can prove the sex
> of something or the colour or composition of something. The case here
> is that proving the negative position only requires proof of some
> other positive and the knowledge that only one state can exist.
>
> The issue of "proving a negative" has to do with the existence of a
> thing, not the state of that thing.
>
> G
>


I'm saying that some people mistakenly transliterate one for the other.
"You can't prove something doesn't exist" is not the same thing as "you
can't prove a negative thing", which is what the poster stated.

That said, it is still possible to prove that some things don't exist,
particularly if their presence is readily observable. That it may not be
practical to do so is an entirely different matter than whether it is
possible.


--
Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Turner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 07:10:33 GMT, Joe S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm saying that some people mistakenly transliterate one for the other.
>"You can't prove something doesn't exist" is not the same thing as "you
>can't prove a negative thing", which is what the poster stated.

__________________________________________________ _________

You're absolutely right. I stand corrected.

--
BT

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: What is the differences between tkinter in windows and Tkinter inthe other platform? Hidekazu IWAKI Python 0 12-15-2009 05:58 AM
Implementation of recursion in different languages: what happens inthe background ? Sébastien de Mapias C Programming 16 02-14-2008 02:27 PM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 07-05-2007 08:19 PM
M$ and it's media propaganda... MaHogany NZ Computing 5 10-15-2006 04:18 AM
[OT] XP inthe palm of your hand Wayne McGlinn MCSE 2 12-16-2004 02:17 PM



Advertisments