Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Good Old Paramount Does It Again

Good Old Paramount Does It Again

Richard C.

news:m5rSd.23902$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
> selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
> RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
> want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original'
> CSI
> Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

Is one of the gimmicks widescreen?

Richard C.

"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Derek Janssen wrote:
>> He read a *little* of it on TVShowsonDVD.com (if it's off the front
>> page, click News Stories by Series), but not enough of it to put it
>> into perspective.

> Thanks Derek, sounds like right now at best its just speculation of
> "what could be" on this release. I'm not a fan of "CSI" but even I
> was shocked when I saw season 1 getting a 4:3 P&S treatment
> fully knowing that its a 16:9 Widescreen show.
>
> Hopefully if anything that will be fixed on this rumored release.
>
> Brian The Demolition Man Little

=================================
Because of the fact that Season 1 was released in P&S, I have not bought ANY
of the seasons of CSI.

===================================

Rob

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:421e22b1$0$5797$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> --
>

> "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Derek Janssen wrote:
> >> He read a *little* of it on TVShowsonDVD.com (if it's off the front
> >> page, click News Stories by Series), but not enough of it to put it
> >> into perspective.

> > Thanks Derek, sounds like right now at best its just speculation of
> > "what could be" on this release. I'm not a fan of "CSI" but even I
> > was shocked when I saw season 1 getting a 4:3 P&S treatment
> > fully knowing that its a 16:9 Widescreen show.
> >
> > Hopefully if anything that will be fixed on this rumored release.

IMHO, it's still a double dip by Paramount regardless of whether it's P&S or
Widescreen. I doubt if they will offer rebates for any of the "first
version" Season 1 sets, and it sets a precedent. For example, will you still
rush out and buy a season set as soon as it hits the shelves, or will you
wait for the 'real thing' a few months later?

Invid Fan

In article <UqtTd.43$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In Paramount's case--like the Star Trek:Classic sets--this's a "O-KAY!
> We admit it! We f***'ed up the first time, because we were cheapskates,
> we had no idea what we were doing, and we didn't think anyone would ever
> buy these things....Look, we'll give you a really *big* version this
> time, if you please don't hit us!!"

Well, they knew people would buy them, they just didn't think there was
this big non-geek market for tv series and it would be like the VHS
Trek releases.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

Rob wrote:

>>>Thanks Derek, sounds like right now at best its just speculation of
>>>"what could be" on this release. I'm not a fan of "CSI" but even I
>>>was shocked when I saw season 1 getting a 4:3 P&S treatment
>>>fully knowing that its a 16:9 Widescreen show.
>>>
>>>Hopefully if anything that will be fixed on this rumored release.

WS closure with the other sets and the director's-cut Pilot were
reportedly THE reasons for the re-release--
What part of "THE" do folks here seem to be having difficulty with?

> IMHO, it's still a double dip by Paramount regardless of whether it's P&S or
> Widescreen.

No, Universal putting another "American Pie" or "Mummy" out just to
stick a free movie-ticket in is a "double dip"...

In Paramount's case--like the Star Trek:Classic sets--this's a "O-KAY!
We admit it! We f***'ed up the first time, because we were cheapskates,
we had no idea what we were doing, and we didn't think anyone would ever
buy these things....Look, we'll give you a really *big* version this
time, if you please don't hit us!!"
Which is a completely different animal--Very similar, in fact, to the
ones Disney currently puts out.

Derek Janssen

Richard C.

news:yctTd.24728$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:421e22b1$0$5797$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> --
>>

>> "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > Thanks Derek, sounds like right now at best its just speculation of
>> > "what could be" on this release. I'm not a fan of "CSI" but even I
>> > was shocked when I saw season 1 getting a 4:3 P&S treatment
>> > fully knowing that its a 16:9 Widescreen show.
>> >
>> > Hopefully if anything that will be fixed on this rumored release.

> IMHO, it's still a double dip by Paramount regardless of whether it's P&S
> or
> Widescreen. I doubt if they will offer rebates for any of the "first
> version" Season 1 sets, and it sets a precedent. For example, will you
> still
> rush out and buy a season set as soon as it hits the shelves, or will you
> wait for the 'real thing' a few months later?

====================================
Nothing you quoted was posted by me.

Derek Janssen

Invid Fan wrote:

>>In Paramount's case--like the Star Trek:Classic sets--this's a "O-KAY!
>>We admit it! We f***'ed up the first time, because we were cheapskates,
>>we had no idea what we were doing, and we didn't think anyone would ever
>>buy these things....Look, we'll give you a really *big* version this
>>time, if you please don't hit us!!"

> Well, they knew people would buy them, they just didn't think there was
> this big non-geek market for tv series and it would be like the VHS
> Trek releases.

Well, was referring to the difference between "double-dips", unquote
(ie. the "Free movie-ticket" ripoffs), and what we may now refer to as
the "Do-over!"'s, until we can think of a cuter name for them...
We've already used the Disney metaphor, but if the 2-ep. Treks aren't
Paramount enough for illustrating the "Huh--You mean, people buy more
than ONE disk at a time?" revelation, how about the earlier incarnations
of the "I Love Lucy" sets?

(And considering that the first CSI came out *AFTER* boxsets had already
been invented...)

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Doonie

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:54:17 -0800, Richard C. wrote:

>Because of the fact that Season 1 was released in P&S, I have not bought ANY
>of the seasons of CSI.

I bought all of them except Season 1. I think that sends a stronger
message than not buying any of them. Let the P&S **** rot on the
shelves.

Ronald Cole

"Vincent J. Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>> Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
>> selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
>> RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
>> want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
>> Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

> If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
> then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Think I'll wait for the definitive HD-DVD release...

Ronald Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

Rob

"Ronald Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-intl.com...
> "Vincent J. Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>

scribbled:
> >> Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
> >> selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
> >> RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If

you
> >> want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original'

CSI
> >> Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

> > If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
> > then I'm perfectly fine with that.

> Think I'll wait for the definitive HD-DVD release...

I'm going to wait for the halographic version so I can really get into it