Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Donnie Darko - Director's Cut

Donnie Darko - Director's Cut

Frohike

Is it worth buying this? I love the movie and I have the standard release. I
don't know how it can be improved story-wise. How are the commentaries?
Thanks.

Joe S

Frohike wrote:
> Is it worth buying this? I love the movie and I have the standard release. I
> don't know how it can be improved story-wise. How are the commentaries?
> Thanks.

The commentaries are a necessity for a person who really likes this
movie, and thinks they may understand it, but would like to hear what
the director was going for. He doesn't spell out *everything*, but tells
alot.

--
Joe

Black Locust

In article <VTYRd.1790$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it worth buying this? I love the movie and I have the standard release. I
> don't know how it can be improved story-wise. How are the commentaries?
> Thanks.

I would recommend it, BUT only to people who love the movie(such as you
and me). It's not really designed for the average person who likes the
movie, but doesn't "love it" per se. The Director's Cut tries to explain
what's going on a bit more than the theatrical cut and this is both a
good thing and a bad thing. If you found the theatrical cut overly
confusing, you'll definitely enjoy this cut. But honestly, this new cut
is not improvement over the original one IMO. As for the commentaries,
well let's just say Kevin Smith of all people is on the commentary
track(along with the director) and that's worth the cost of owning the
disc all by it's lonesome. Kevin Smith is a huge fan of the movie and
spends the commentary asking the director the same questions your
typical fan of the movie would. What's also nice about the disc is that
none of the special features from the original disc were carried over.
So just make sure you hold onto the theatrical cut DVD. But yes, you
should go ahead and pick it up. You'll enjoy it, I think.

Frohike

Thanks, guys. You've convinced me to buy it. Peace!

Rick

"Black Locust" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <VTYRd.1790$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Frohike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is it worth buying this? I love the movie and I have the standard
>> release. I
>> don't know how it can be improved story-wise. How are the commentaries?
>> Thanks.

> I would recommend it, BUT only to people who love the movie(such as you
> and me). It's not really designed for the average person who likes the
> movie, but doesn't "love it" per se. The Director's Cut tries to explain
> what's going on a bit more than the theatrical cut and this is both a
> good thing and a bad thing. If you found the theatrical cut overly
> confusing, you'll definitely enjoy this cut. But honestly, this new cut
> is not improvement over the original one IMO. As for the commentaries,
> well let's just say Kevin Smith of all people is on the commentary
> track(along with the director) and that's worth the cost of owning the
> disc all by it's lonesome. Kevin Smith is a huge fan of the movie and
> spends the commentary asking the director the same questions your
> typical fan of the movie would. What's also nice about the disc is that
> none of the special features from the original disc were carried over.
> So just make sure you hold onto the theatrical cut DVD. But yes, you
> should go ahead and pick it up. You'll enjoy it, I think.
> --
> "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
> They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
> people,
> and neither do we." - George Dumbya Bush

Think of it as a companion piece to the original version.