Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > failed dvd burning

failed dvd burning

bill

I am now getting many dvd's that I have burned stop playing in my dvd player
half way through, I have tried different disks, I have tried slower
speeds, a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks, as he
says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please, or suggest
where I am going wrong

Darrel Christenson

bill wrote:

> a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks, as he
> says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please

Labels BAD.

drc

Large Farva

Definitely don't use labels. BIG no no!

"bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZSQRd.861$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am now getting many dvd's that I have burned stop playing in my dvd
>player half way through, I have tried different disks, I have tried
>slower speeds, a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks,
>as he says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please, or
>suggest where I am going wrong

bill

Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
suggest why labels are bad, beats me

news:JXQRd.1583$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

bill wrote:

> Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
> suggest why labels are bad, beats me

They can throw the balance of the disc off, dvd
players are much touchier about that kind of thing
than cd players.

I've also read somewhere that the adhesive on the
back of a label can seep into the media over time
messing up the playing layer, and also something
about the adhesive contracting a tiny bit as it
dries over time causing a micro contraction of
the media enough to throw something as delicate
as a laser off enough to cause problems.

drc

bill

Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
suggest why labels are bad, beats me

Also what would be best to identify disks, permanent marker pen?

"bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZSQRd.861$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am now getting many dvd's that I have burned stop playing in my dvd
>player half way through, I have tried different disks, I have tried
>slower speeds, a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks,
>as he says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please, or
>suggest where I am going wrong

bill

Wow, thanks for that, that sounds right, what a fool I have been

"Darrel Christenson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> bill wrote:
>
>> Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
>> suggest why labels are bad, beats me

> They can throw the balance of the disc off, dvd
> players are much touchier about that kind of thing
> than cd players.
>
> I've also read somewhere that the adhesive on the
> back of a label can seep into the media over time
> messing up the playing layer, and also something
> about the adhesive contracting a tiny bit as it
> dries over time causing a micro contraction of
> the media enough to throw something as delicate
> as a laser off enough to cause problems.
>

> drc

Darrel Christenson

bill wrote:

> Also what would be best to identify disks, permanent marker pen?

Some kinds of ink can bleed into media, though
discs with a matte finish or are meant to be
printed on by injet printers should be safe.

Wouldn't it be simplest to just lable the
container you store the disc in?

Darrel

bill

I tought it looked better if disk was labelled too, but it seems I was
being a dork, thanks for your help, my labelling stuff will be going in
the bin, many thanks

"Darrel Christenson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> bill wrote:
>
>> Also what would be best to identify disks, permanent marker pen?

> Some kinds of ink can bleed into media, though
> discs with a matte finish or are meant to be
> printed on by injet printers should be safe.
>
> Wouldn't it be simplest to just lable the
> container you store the disc in?
>

> Darrel

Bill Turner

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:30:49 GMT, "bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am now getting many dvd's that I have burned stop playing in my dvd player
>half way through, I have tried different disks, I have tried slower
>speeds, a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks, as he
>says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please, or suggest
>where I am going wrong

I've been using relatively small labels, about 3/8" x 1-1/4" with no
problems so far. I place them close to the center hub to reduce
centrifugal force (and thus imbalance). They have removable adhesive so
I could remove them if desired.

So far so good.

--
BT