Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 24 Season 3 Bad Bad Bad (Spoiler)

24 Season 3 Bad Bad Bad (Spoiler)

nospam@nospam.com

Just finished watching S3 on DVDs and how this series has gone down
south after S1. The primary reason that makes S1 a success is that
the writers can intertwin two main plots, David Palmer's presidential
campagin (the attemp on his life) and Jack Bauer's attemp to protect
David seamlessly. S2 takes a big step backward in this regard but at
least the palace coup is somewhat interesting.

The David Palmer plot has been reduced to a side show of a side show
in S3 which makes S3 just a show about a bunch of guys with guns and
cell phones chasing another bunch of guys with guns and cell phones.

At least the reappearance of Sherry Palmer allows the David Palmer
plot to develop somewhat but the writers underuse her role. She is
one of the major reasons why 24 S1 is success.

I shouted contrive, contrive and contrive when I saw Nina Myers
reappear in S3. Thank god Jack finally kills her and I hope they
don't bring her back again in S4 with some biogenic technique.

It seems to me the script was rewritten about 1/4 of the way. At
first it was about the CTU mole Guy-ale and the Salasa brothers. Then
S3 does a double switch so Guy-ale and Jack all become triple agents.

The writers never explain why the Salasa brothers need to monitor the
kid if the kid doesn't have the virus with him. One might allow for
inconsistency in plot for a show like this but this plot hole is too
big to let go.

The ease that all these CTU tech guys can access any bank accounts on
earth or shut down a subway train in split second is devoid of any
realism. When you strip off the layer of vulnerability from the
characters, you stop caring for them because you know in the end this
is just a show and nothing will happen to the likes of Jack Bauer or
James Bond. In fact, S3 makes James Bond look real in comparison.

Scooby

It was bad yes, that is if you don't enjoy good television.

Mark Spatny

(E-Mail Removed),(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Just finished watching S3 on DVDs and how this series has gone down
> south after S1.

I mostly agree. I thought season 2 was as good as season 1, but after
about 6 episodes I gave up on season 3.

> I shouted contrive, contrive and contrive when I saw Nina Myers
> reappear in S3.

Agreed.

> The ease that all these CTU tech guys can access any bank accounts on
> earth or shut down a subway train in split second is devoid of any
> realism.

And yet, when the head guy says "get my daughter in a car and get her
out of town", they bumble about like the Keystone Kops, and suddenly
said daughter is fleeing from mountain lions and creeps in bomb
shelters.

Ed

I thought season 3 really picked up steam towards the end, when the
virus was released in the hotel. That was at about hour 16. From then
to the end of the season it was as good as ever, in my opinion.

Ed

Joshua Zyber

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> I mostly agree. I thought season 2 was as good as season 1, but after
> about 6 episodes I gave up on season 3.

You missed all the good stuff, then. The season turns completely around
by the midpoint.

Mark Spatny

Ed,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I thought season 3 really picked up steam towards the end, when the
> virus was released in the hotel. That was at about hour 16.

Well, I have to tell you, you shouldn't have to watch 15 hours of a show
before it gets good. That's kind of like saying Micheal Bay's Pearl
Harbor relly picked up steam when the Japanese attack. Sure, it's true,
but the rest of the movie sucked out loud and was unwatchable.

I don't have a spare 15 hours in my life to throw away waiting for a TV
show to "pick up steam".

Mark Spatny

Joshua Zyber,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > I mostly agree. I thought season 2 was as good as season 1, but after
> > about 6 episodes I gave up on season 3.

> You missed all the good stuff, then.

Maybe, but why should I have to sit through all the bad stuff first?
They should write the good stuff starting in episode 1. Not make you
watch hours of confused drivel and contrived characters while they
figure out where the series is going.

That's like season 1, where Jack's wife started having amnesia. At least
then the writers figured out is was a B story going nowhere, and dropped
it quick.

Nonymous

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just finished watching S3 on DVDs and how this series has gone down
> south after S1.

I also didn't like S3 as well. (But as others have said, the season really
picked up steam once Jack got out of Mexico.)

But I'm finding the new S4 to be really good. Almost as good as (if not
*as* good as S1).

EdJS@volcanomail.com

I guess I had more faith that the writers WOULD eventually get back on
track, and that when they did, it would be all worth while.

In my opinion, in the end my faith was well founded.

Anyway, to me, even bad episodes of "24" are better than almost any
other TV show. I hardly watch any other shows.

Ed

Jeff Rife

Mark Spatny ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> That's like season 1, where Jack's wife started having amnesia. At least
> then the writers figured out is was a B story going nowhere, and dropped
> it quick.

Not having watched a single episode of "24", this sure doesn't make me
want to watch it now.

A show about the happenings of a single day isn't plotted out before any
words are written? That's just insane. I know, that's Hollywood.

--
Jeff Rife |