Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Videos bad quality

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD Videos bad quality

 
 
pertnoy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
original video quality?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:07:27 -0500, "pertnoy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
>component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
>etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
>is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
>to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
>in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
>original video quality?


Use DVDlab to reauthor. The problem is that Nero is reencoding the
mpgs just because there's something it doesn't like, DVDlab will
attemtp to use the mpgs as is. And that will also make compiling the
project much faster.

... Steve ..
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Rife
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2005
Steve(JazzHunter) ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Use DVDlab to reauthor. The problem is that Nero is reencoding the
> mpgs just because there's something it doesn't like, DVDlab will
> attemtp to use the mpgs as is.


The latest Nero programs (NeroVision Express 3) will scan the input and
only re-code parts that are bad, not the whole thing. So, when I use
HDTVToMPEG2 to cut the commercials from an HDTV recording, it left "breaks"
that stayed there when I down-converted it to DVD resolution with the
Fusion converter. Those bits got re-encoded to "smooth them out", but
otherwise it didn't touch the video. It took about 15 minutes to "encode"
and burn 45 minutes of show on a 4x burner.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Sherman...esBuysMoon.gif
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Ruppel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
pertnoy wrote:
> I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
> component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
> etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
> is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
> to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
> in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
> original video quality?
>
>

How do you convert an MPG file to a DVD-playable file? (And I hope
you're going to tell me that the software is either free, or Roxio Easy
7.5).

Ken
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
On Sun, 08 May 2005 03:00:37 -0400, Ken Ruppel
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>pertnoy wrote:
>> I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
>> component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
>> etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
>> is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
>> to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
>> in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
>> original video quality?
>>
>>

>How do you convert an MPG file to a DVD-playable file? (And I hope
>you're going to tell me that the software is either free, or Roxio Easy
>7.5).
>
>Ken


Because Nero is taking perfectly good DVD-ready Mpegs and re-rendering
them with its own horrible encoder. Nero is NOT an authoring program.
DVDlab or Tmpgenc DVDauthor will handle the mpegs without screwing
them up. A properly-produced DVD takes about 15 minutes to compile on
a P4. Nero will take two hours or more.


... Steve ..
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Ruppel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
pertnoy wrote:
> I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
> component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
> etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
> is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
> to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
> in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
> original video quality?
>
>

I figured out how to "Create DVD" in Roxio Easy Creator 7.5. The
quality is as good as the original. It added around 1MB to the size of
each mpg file. I'm impressed.

Ken
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Rife
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
Steve(JazzHunter) ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> Because Nero is taking perfectly good DVD-ready Mpegs and re-rendering
> them with its own horrible encoder. Nero is NOT an authoring program.


No, but NeroVision Express (which is part of the Nero suite) *is* an
authoring program, and the latest version doesn't re-encode if the video
is already in DVD format...it just copies the MPEG to a VOB file.

> A properly-produced DVD takes about 15 minutes to compile on
> a P4. Nero will take two hours or more.


That's also wrong. It rarely takes me more than 30 minutes for a 1-hour
DVD when I *have* to re-encode (because the source is in DV format) to
MPEG-2. That's using a P4 2.4GHz and multiple-pass compression.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/TractorBeam.jpg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2005
On Sun, 8 May 2005 14:06:36 -0400, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve(JazzHunter) ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>> Because Nero is taking perfectly good DVD-ready Mpegs and re-rendering
>> them with its own horrible encoder. Nero is NOT an authoring program.

>
>No, but NeroVision Express (which is part of the Nero suite) *is* an
>authoring program, and the latest version doesn't re-encode if the video
>is already in DVD format...it just copies the MPEG to a VOB file.
>
>> A properly-produced DVD takes about 15 minutes to compile on
>> a P4. Nero will take two hours or more.

>
>That's also wrong. It rarely takes me more than 30 minutes for a 1-hour
>DVD when I *have* to re-encode (because the source is in DV format) to
>MPEG-2. That's using a P4 2.4GHz and multiple-pass compression.


Depends upon the quality of the encoder. CCE takes 3.2X real time on
my P4 3.6. So three passes is about 90 minutes for a 90 minute movie.
Sure there are faster encoders....

Are you getting correct colorspace conversion when going from DVcam to
Mpeg? Quite typically a 0 to 100 IRE DVcam will be changed to 10 to
86IRE when encoded to Mpeg unless the encoder is set to 0-255, rather
than 15 - 235, and accepts a non-RGB input.

For DVD authoring DVDlab is the way to go, nothing's hidden. If
there's a problem it tells you rather than try to fix it in the
background. Any software with "Express" in the name is a quick and
easy consumer-level program.

.. Steve ..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos? hsyq8xg@gmail.com DVD Video 18 12-21-2008 01:15 AM
Here is a step by step guide about converting DVD, Videos, Youtube videos to iPod bluesealover DVD Video 0 06-21-2007 06:39 PM
ActiveX apologetic Larry Seltzer... "Sun paid for malicious ActiveX code, and Firefox is bad, bad bad baad. please use ActiveX, it's secure and nice!" (ok, the last part is irony on my part) fernando.cassia@gmail.com Java 0 04-16-2005 10:05 PM
24 Season 3 Bad Bad Bad (Spoiler) nospam@nospam.com DVD Video 12 02-23-2005 03:28 AM
Crucial memory - bad quality and bad customer service too! Proteus Digital Photography 20 09-13-2004 01:09 PM



Advertisments