Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R.

MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R.

Allan

MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R

Date Thursday, February 17 @ 04:48:54

Topic Latest News

Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM) have announced the world's first dual
layer DVD-R disc made to DL standards to be launched this spring.
"Sales of DVD recording drives show tremendous increases worldwide,"
says Shigeru Tamura, MKM Chief Information Officer. "And industry
estimates put demand for DVD discs in 2005 at some 2.5 billion units,
which is a year-on-year increase of 79%."

As users record more images and movies, data density increases and
people ask for greater capacity DVD recording discs. To meet this
demand, MKM launched the world's first double layer DVD+R discs in May
2004, which were well received in the market.

Now, MKM will be the first one to launch a single sided dual layer
media in the DVD-R format, which is the most popular format.

With development of this new disc, capacity of DVD-R discs is now
double that of conventional discs of this type. When using these new
discs in compatible DVD drives, not only large amounts of data can be
recorded continuously on the discs, but also the discs can be used in
conventional DVD players of PC DVD-ROM drives to playback the
recordings.

This article comes from DVD Recordable
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/

The URL for this story is:
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/module...ticle&sid=1846

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

RichA

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:17:17 -0500, Allan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MKM Unveils World's First DL DVD-R
>
>Date Thursday, February 17 @ 04:48:54
>
>Topic Latest News
>
>Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM) have announced the world's first dual
>layer DVD-R disc made to DL standards to be launched this spring.
>"Sales of DVD recording drives show tremendous increases worldwide,"
>says Shigeru Tamura, MKM Chief Information Officer. "And industry
>estimates put demand for DVD discs in 2005 at some 2.5 billion units,
>which is a year-on-year increase of 79%."

That's assuming copy-protection and court cases don't destroy the
market for these things. We know that is what blank DVDs are used
for, in large part. Companies making DVD teaching sets, or people
burning their wedding videos to DVD just are not going to create that
kind of growth.
-Rich