Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > No More DVD Copying/Backing Up?

Reply
Thread Tools

No More DVD Copying/Backing Up?

 
 
ShadowRaptor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will stop
users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is called RipGuard
DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting with the new High
Definition DVD films later this year.

The idea behind RipGuard is that it plugs the original security hole that
was exposed by the DeCSS software back in 1999, which bypassed the CSS
encryption program. This allowed even the average consumer to copy a
complete DVD to their computer and distribute the DVD on file sharing
networks.

"Macrovision RipGuard DVD is designed to dramatically reduce DVD ripping and
the resulting supply of illegal P2P content," said Steve Weinstein,
executive vice president and general manager of Macrovision's Entertainment
Technologies Group.

Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
existing DVD players.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
ShadowRaptor wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:45:13 -0600]:
> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will stop
> users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is called RipGuard
> DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting with the new High
> Definition DVD films later this year.


First there's this ^^


> Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
> existing DVD players.


And then there's this...

Ummm, will HD DVDs be working on existing DVD players?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gunther
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
In article <6jsQd.22344$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will

actually work, unlike most of its past attempts a copy protection.
In a related press release from TRW (The Real World), a spokesman
said "fat ****ing chance of that!"

 
Reply With Quote
 
TheMartian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
ShadowRaptor wrote:
> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will stop
> users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is called RipGuard
> DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting with the new High
> Definition DVD films later this year.
>
> The idea behind RipGuard is that it plugs the original security hole that
> was exposed by the DeCSS software back in 1999, which bypassed the CSS
> encryption program. This allowed even the average consumer to copy a
> complete DVD to their computer and distribute the DVD on file sharing
> networks.
>
> "Macrovision RipGuard DVD is designed to dramatically reduce DVD ripping and
> the resulting supply of illegal P2P content," said Steve Weinstein,
> executive vice president and general manager of Macrovision's Entertainment
> Technologies Group.
>
> Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
> existing DVD players.
>
>


assuming this is not vaporware, how long until its cracked wide open

---
Web: www.sol4.net
Jabber: (E-Mail Removed)
Block List: sol4.net/spam_blocks.shtml
Powered by Apples and Penguins
 
Reply With Quote
 
MS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
> assuming this is not vaporware, how long until its cracked wide open

What do the warez people call it: 'zero day'!

MS
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2005
On 2/15/2005 11:53:09 AM, Justin wrote:

> ShadowRaptor wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:45:13 -0600]:
>> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
>> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
>> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting
>> with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

>
> First there's this ^^
>
>> Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
>> existing DVD players.

>
> And then there's this...
>
> Ummm, will HD DVDs be working on existing DVD players?


You missed the keyword "starting." They're saying the RipGuard
technology is backwards compatible, not HD-DVD discs. IOW, while it will
be introduced on HD-DVD discs, eventually they hope it will be used on
regular DVDs as well.
--
"I like toast. Its the muffins that must be stopped."

Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
ShadowRaptor wrote:
> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting
> with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.


I give it a week until it's cracked.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Donald Link
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:48:51 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>ShadowRaptor wrote:
>> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
>> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
>> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting
>> with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

>
>I give it a week until it's cracked.



God, it must be really good to take a week. Usally the crackers have
their product out before the new technogly is out. What most of the
dumb nuts who try to copy protect their product is that they are
spending money to the encryption copy for no reason. What they need
to do is to market the product cheaply enough to buy. Disney is one
of the worst. Not only do you have to pay thru the nose, but you have
to put up with advertisements.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
Donald Link wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:48:51 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> ShadowRaptor wrote:
>>> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
>>> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
>>> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs
>>> starting with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

>>
>> I give it a week until it's cracked.

>
> God, it must be really good to take a week. Usally the crackers have
> their product out before the new technogly is out. What most of the
> dumb nuts who try to copy protect their product is that they are
> spending money to the encryption copy for no reason. What they need
> to do is to market the product cheaply enough to buy.


Bingo. Copy protection is the worst possible investment any media company
could make, since it results in almost no return on their money.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
Tarkus wrote:
> On 2/15/2005 5:59:28 PM, Mike Kohary wrote:
>
>> Bingo. Copy protection is the worst possible investment any media
>> company could make, since it results in almost no return on their
>> money.

>
> How do you know?


Because it's totally ineffective.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kamaelia 0.4.0 RELEASED - Faster! More Tools! More Examples! More Docs! ;-) Michael Python 4 06-26-2006 08:00 AM
With a Ruby Yell: more, more more! Robert Klemme Ruby 5 09-29-2005 06:37 AM
DVD-R & DVD-RW & DVD+R & DVD+RW DVD-WTF Nozza Computer Support 5 12-02-2004 10:06 PM
Help! My Pioneer PC DVD-R116R DVD-ROM Won't Play Recent DVD NTSC R1 DVD Releases Hunter Computer Support 3 08-30-2003 06:06 AM
Help! My Pioneer PC DVD-R116R DVD-ROM Won't Play Recent DVD NTSC R1 DVD Releases Hunter DVD Video 3 08-30-2003 06:06 AM



Advertisments