Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > First Optical Disc Recorder Able to Record and Playback Blu-Ray, DVD & CD Formats. (NEWS)

First Optical Disc Recorder Able to Record and Playback Blu-Ray, DVD & CD Formats. (NEWS)

Allan

News

Zoran's Generation9 High-Definition Display Processor Drives Samsung's
Blu-Ray Disc Recorder (14/2/2005)

First Optical Disc Recorder Able to Record and Playback Blu-Ray, DVD &
CD Formats

Zoran Corporation (NASDAQ:ZRAN) announced that its Generation9
integrated high definition display processor powers Samsung
Electronics' Blu-Ray Disc (BD-R1000) recorder that is the first to
record and playback Blu-Ray, DVD and CD formats with a single optical
pickup.

"The blu-ray disc is the next-generation optical storage format that
ensures greater precision and higher picture clarity than the current
generation digital versatile disc (DVD). We selected Zoran's
Generation9 solution to provide the highest quality audio and video
performance for consumers purchasing our new Blu-Ray Disc recorders
and we've found Zoran's development support helps us to quickly bring
new models to market," said Mr. Y.S. Park, vice president engineering,
at Samsung Electronics' Digital Video System Division.

"Samsung's significant strength in the consumer electronics market
means that many consumers will be able to experience the benefits of
Blu-Ray disc recorders this year. We are pleased to support our long
term partner Samsung in delivering the first optical disc recorder
that can record and playback DVDs and CDs as well as the Blu-Ray
format, " said Ram Ofir, senior vice president and general manager at
Zoran's digital television division.

Samsung announced the release of the BD-R1000 recorder last month and
stated that consumers will be able to record and edit up to 12 hours
of high-definition TV broadcasts onto the 23-gigabyte blu-ray disc.

The BD-R1000 maintains high picture and sound quality by directly
recording digital signals avoiding the degradation of picture clarity
inevitable in recording high-definition video content with existing
video cassette recorders and DVD recorders because they convert
digital signals into analog signals.

Zoran's Generation9 family of integrated DTV system solutions include
ICs, software, and development platforms that provide the main video,
audio, graphics and data management capabilities for a variety of
digital consumer electronics products, including integrated digital
televisions, high definition and multi-standard definition set-top
boxes, personal video recorders, digital video recorders, and home
media servers. Products based on Generation9 support industry
standards such as ATSC, OpenCable, ARIB, DirecTV, DVB and others.

www.zoran.com

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesne...050214-09.html

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_