Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dune: Longest Version Available?

Dune: Longest Version Available?

(Pete Cresswell)

From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
was shot.

Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?
--
PeteCresswell

jayembee

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
> was shot.
>
> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

There has never been any credible evidence that there was any version
of Lynch's DUNE assembled that was longer than the "Smithee" cut.

I still don't believe that 12 hours worth of footage was shot, but
even if it was, most of the extra footage would likely to be alternate
takes of existing scenes, which would be unusable in assembling a
"complete" version.

-- jayembee

TCS

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:50:15 GMT, jayembee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
>> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
>> was shot.
>>
>> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

>There has never been any credible evidence that there was any version
>of Lynch's DUNE assembled that was longer than the "Smithee" cut.

>I still don't believe that 12 hours worth of footage was shot, but
>even if it was, most of the extra footage would likely to be alternate
>takes of existing scenes, which would be unusable in assembling a
>"complete" version.

then there's the song'n'dance version...

Meng

TCS wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:50:15 GMT, jayembee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
>>>'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
>>>was shot.
>>>
>>>Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

>>There has never been any credible evidence that there was any version
>>of Lynch's DUNE assembled that was longer than the "Smithee" cut.

>>I still don't believe that 12 hours worth of footage was shot, but
>>even if it was, most of the extra footage would likely to be alternate
>>takes of existing scenes, which would be unusable in assembling a
>>"complete" version.

> then there's the song'n'dance version...

I thought "Dune on Ice" was a bit ambitious ...

theyak

> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
> was shot.
>
> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

There have been rumors ever since it was made of a 10 hour cut, but the
longest finished cut to actually exist is the Smithee version.

Joshua Zyber

"theyak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it
>> seems like
>> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most
>> of what
>> was shot.
>>
>> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

> There have been rumors ever since it was made of a 10 hour cut,

Nuh uh, there was a 150,000 hour cut too. And it was all ready to go to
theaters too, until they cut it down to two hours the day before
release. Honest.

Rich Clark

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it

seems like
> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most

of what
> was shot.
>
> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

Yes, indeed, untold tens of millions of dollars were spent to write the
script, build the sets, pay the crew, rehearse the actors, and spend
the six months it would take to create 10 extra hours of story content
for this film.

The sad part is that all the footage of Elvis as a spice worm was lost.

RichC