Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HOWTO: Convert PAL AVI to NTSC MPEG/DVD?

HOWTO: Convert PAL AVI to NTSC MPEG/DVD?

Gowan McGland

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the process, not to mention bit torrent, but here's my
dilemma.

I had told a friend of mine that I'd download the recent mini-marathon
of Battlestar Galactica that was on Sci-Fi. I forgot and when I did
remember to try to get a few episodes, I had technical difficulties.

So, I figured I'd just go out and download the video that was already
out there.

Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
(as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
DVDs of them so I can pass them along.

Is there an easy way to do this? I found a demo for a program called
Super DVD Creator 8.0 which did an admirable job on the video, but the
sound was choppy. Studio 9 and VideoStudio 7 didn't want to have
anything to do with the files.

Am I just stuck with having to wait until I can find NTSC MPEG/DVD files
, them to reshow the shows or find someone to trade with?

Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

-Gowan

Peter

Hi
Athough I don't like this program in general I had very good experiences
with NeroVision Express3.
I have leared that the correct way to convert from PAL to NTSC is to convert
from 25fps to 23.976fps and then do a 2:3pulldown.
It seems that NVE is doing this because the result is not so bad than using
TMPEnc.
However, the best result that I get is using the following procedure:
-load avi into virtualdup and save the audio as wav.
-run besweet and convert the wav to mp2 and select PAL->NTSC(23.976)
-create a AVISynth script that uses Assumefps(23.976) statement
-run CCE via Avisynth to create the NTSC mpg video file
-run pulldown.exe to add 3:2pulldown flag to video file
-use TMPEGEnc to mux audio and video

if you don't want to spend these effords try NeroVision Express3, in my
tests it delivered similar results.
Regards
Peter

"Gowan McGland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XbZPd.53306$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hey all,
>
> I'm fairly new to the process, not to mention bit torrent, but here's my
> dilemma.
>
> I had told a friend of mine that I'd download the recent mini-marathon
> of Battlestar Galactica that was on Sci-Fi. I forgot and when I did
> remember to try to get a few episodes, I had technical difficulties.
>
> So, I figured I'd just go out and download the video that was already
> out there.
>
> Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
> PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
> (as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
> DVDs of them so I can pass them along.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this? I found a demo for a program called
> Super DVD Creator 8.0 which did an admirable job on the video, but the
> sound was choppy. Studio 9 and VideoStudio 7 didn't want to have
> anything to do with the files.
>
> Am I just stuck with having to wait until I can find NTSC MPEG/DVD files
> , them to reshow the shows or find someone to trade with?
>
> Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.
>
> -Gowan

Biz

"Gowan McGland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XbZPd.53306$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hey all,
>
> I'm fairly new to the process, not to mention bit torrent, but here's my
> dilemma.
>
> I had told a friend of mine that I'd download the recent mini-marathon
> of Battlestar Galactica that was on Sci-Fi. I forgot and when I did
> remember to try to get a few episodes, I had technical difficulties.
>
> So, I figured I'd just go out and download the video that was already
> out there.
>
> Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
> PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
> (as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
> DVDs of them so I can pass them along.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this? I found a demo for a program called
> Super DVD Creator 8.0 which did an admirable job on the video, but the
> sound was choppy. Studio 9 and VideoStudio 7 didn't want to have
> anything to do with the files.
>
> Am I just stuck with having to wait until I can find NTSC MPEG/DVD files
> , them to reshow the shows or find someone to trade with?
>
> Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.
>
> -Gowan

post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

Buffy Summers

> post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

If you don't want to help, then you're not required (legally, financially,
or morally) to say anything at all.

Biz

If the guy is gonna post in a public forum he's illegally downloading
copyrighted material, IMO he's fair game for whatever the heck I want to say
to him...

"Buffy Summers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zjbQd.10195$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

> If you don't want to help, then you're not required (legally, financially,
> or morally) to say anything at all.

Buffy Summers

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3OeQd.214525$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the guy is gonna post in a public forum he's illegally downloading
> copyrighted material, IMO he's fair game for whatever the heck I want to

say
> to him...

Yes but the name of this particular group that I am posting from IS
alt.video.TAPE-TRADING. I think that kinda says it all, yes? If you don't
want to help then you don't have to voice your opinion at all. Some things
are just not proper netiquette. If you don't at least know the basics of
netiquette then you don't belong on Usenet at all and need to find other,
more important, things to do. Like posting from a real email address instead
of something you made up on the spur of the moment to be rude in the first
place.

did he say that he had planned on selling this material? Even a little bit?
I don't think so. He said that he "was doing it for a friend" aka no money
involved. The MPAA and the Federal Government at large has wayyy too small
Prisons to hold everyone that does trading "for friends". We, the US, would
have to have a Federal Prison the size of Texas and the Population of NYC in
order to hold everyone who engages in such "trading" activity (as handed
down by the DMCA Law or letter of), and that still wouldn't be big enough.
The current US Government has more "important priorities", like avoiding
President Junior going before a U.N. War Crimes Tribunal anytime soon.

It not deadly, it is addicting but not really dangerous except to big name
studios. are you a big Name Studio? Do you have "family" in the MPAA? If so,
then please leave now and go hang out at your Blockbuster and tell them how
their low competition-oriented prices will kill Hollywood someday, that they
should not want to go beat out Netfilx and Wal-mart in the "Eternal DVD
Wars". Go see how fast they call Security or the cops. In fact, you can make
a game of it, testing each different Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, and Netflix's
"reflexes" to see how soon it takes each one tells you to go to h---- and
the Horse you rode in on. It must be nice, posting from a false email so no
one knows who you are and never will.

Oldus Fartus

Buffy Summers wrote:
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3OeQd.214525$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>If the guy is gonna post in a public forum he's illegally downloading
>>copyrighted material, IMO he's fair game for whatever the heck I want to

> say
>
>>to him...

> Yes but the name of this particular group that I am posting from IS
> alt.video.TAPE-TRADING.

No. You post TO a newsgroup, not FROM one. You also crossposted to
this group. That makes you fair game for any comments from this newsgroup.

I think that kinda says it all, yes?

No.

If you don't
> want to help then you don't have to voice your opinion at all. Some things
> are just not proper netiquette. If you don't at least know the basics of
> netiquette then you don't belong on Usenet at all and need to find other,
> more important, things to do. Like posting from a real email address instead
> of something you made up on the spur of the moment to be rude in the first
> place.

A little hard to take someone seriously who calls themselves after a
fictional character.

> did he say that he had planned on selling this material? Even a little bit?
> I don't think so. He said that he "was doing it for a friend" aka no money
> involved. The MPAA and the Federal Government at large has wayyy too small
> Prisons to hold everyone that does trading "for friends". We, the US, would
> have to have a Federal Prison the size of Texas and the Population of NYC in
> order to hold everyone who engages in such "trading" activity (as handed
> down by the DMCA Law or letter of), and that still wouldn't be big enough.
> The current US Government has more "important priorities", like avoiding
> President Junior going before a U.N. War Crimes Tribunal anytime soon.
>
> It not deadly, it is addicting but not really dangerous except to big name
> studios. are you a big Name Studio? Do you have "family" in the MPAA? If so,
> then please leave now and go hang out at your Blockbuster and tell them how
> their low competition-oriented prices will kill Hollywood someday, that they
> should not want to go beat out Netfilx and Wal-mart in the "Eternal DVD
> Wars". Go see how fast they call Security or the cops. In fact, you can make
> a game of it, testing each different Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, and Netflix's
> "reflexes" to see how soon it takes each one tells you to go to h---- and
> the Horse you rode in on. It must be nice, posting from a false email so no
> one knows who you are and never will.

Sigh. What a load of crap.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Gowan McGland

Biz wrote:
> "Gowan McGland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XbZPd.53306$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>I'm fairly new to the process, not to mention bit torrent, but here's my
>>dilemma.
>>
>>I had told a friend of mine that I'd download the recent mini-marathon
>>of Battlestar Galactica that was on Sci-Fi. I forgot and when I did
>>remember to try to get a few episodes, I had technical difficulties.
>>
>>So, I figured I'd just go out and download the video that was already
>>out there.
>>
>>Unfortunately, all I could find and ended up with was files that were
>>PAL AVIs from skyone. They play just fine as video files on my computer
>>(as a matter of fact, that look pretty damn good), but I'd like to make
>>DVDs of them so I can pass them along.
>>
>>Is there an easy way to do this? I found a demo for a program called
>>Super DVD Creator 8.0 which did an admirable job on the video, but the
>>sound was choppy. Studio 9 and VideoStudio 7 didn't want to have
>>anything to do with the files.
>>
>>Am I just stuck with having to wait until I can find NTSC MPEG/DVD files
>>, them to reshow the shows or find someone to trade with?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.
>>
>>-Gowan

> post your question at mpaa.org, you'll get alot of help there...

Look, I know you were trolling along and not looking for a real answer,
but here goes:

Actually, I doubt the MPAA would have much interest in the case as I'm
not asking about a motion picture, but a television program which is not
under their purview. The FCC is probably the organization you're
looking for. Except...

I'm well within my fair use rights to copy a program from television and
loan it to a friend. I broke no decryption in order to make a DVD of
the program. I bypassed no copy protection. No money will change
hands. There are not currently commercial DVDs available of the
product. I was merely inquiring about a format change. If that's
illegal, you should probably go tell your local retailers to quit
selling DVD recorder/VHS combos which quickly and easily record a
program from VHS to DVD. Even a program I recorded off my local
television broadcast.

Thanks to Peter, btw, as NeroVision Express 3 did a fine job of making a
DVD from the source I had.

Buffy Summers

Bada bum. I think my point has been made in my stead. I would say that this
thread is over and done with and all points made on all possible ends, ya?

Buffy Summers

> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

Have fun. The original poster trumped you and anyone else who would even
potentially disagree with our point. ZAP! THREAD OVER.

Convert a Pal DVD change to a NTSC DVD Bun Mui Computer Support 3 01-16-2005 08:55 AM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
Can you convert Oly C2100UZ from NTSC to PAL? Gadget Digital Photography 5 12-13-2003 06:45 AM
Convert NTSC videos to PAL format David Wood Computer Support 0 11-17-2003 09:34 PM
A dvd player model which will convert pal to ntsc ? Mike DVD Video 13 09-05-2003 04:26 PM

Advertisments