Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Recordable HD-DVD to use regular DVD disck media?

Recordable HD-DVD to use regular DVD disck media?

RichA

Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
will need new materials (expensive).
Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
it high density at a much higher price, initially.

http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

Alan Figgatt

RichA wrote:

> Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
> standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
> will need new materials (expensive).
> Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
> years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
> it high density at a much higher price, initially.
>
> http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

No, HD-DVDs will require new disks. I've never read anything
otherwise. The advantage for HD-DVDs to the manufacturers is that they
can change over an existing DVD production line to HD-DVD supposedly in
a few minutes. Blu-Ray with it's 0.1 mm deep recording layer requires
new manufacturing hardware, but Blu-Ray has a larger storage capacity
which makes it more viable for HD movies in the long run.

Alan F

Rich Clark

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
> standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
> will need new materials (expensive).
> Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
> years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
> it high density at a much higher price, initially.
>
> http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

Nonsense. It doesn't say that there, or anywhere else.

RichC

Patrick Michael

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
>> standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
>> will need new materials (expensive).
>> Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
>> years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
>> it high density at a much higher price, initially.
>>
>> http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

> Nonsense. It doesn't say that there, or anywhere else.

It might very well be nonsense, but couldn't it be possible? From what I
understand, HD-DVD players will be able to read "standard" DVD discs. Why
couldn't somebody put high definition video on a standard DVD, assuming the
player supported it? I mean, you can put DVD-quality video on a CD (only
about 15-20 minutes worth from what I recall). I believe that is called a
"Super VCD" and I think some DVD players *do* read discs like that. In the
end, it's all just 1's and 0's..just a matter of how many you can squeeze on
the disc.

Mike Kohary

Patrick Michael wrote:
> "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Another poster provided the link. It looks like you can use
>>> standard (for eg. DVD-9) DVD discs for HD-DVD, whereas Blu-Ray
>>> will need new materials (expensive).
>>> Of course, they could pull the same thing the floppy makers did
>>> years ago when they punched a new hole in a floppy disk and called
>>> it high density at a much higher price, initially.
>>>
>>> http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/hddvd/index.htm

>> Nonsense. It doesn't say that there, or anywhere else.
>>

> It might very well be nonsense, but couldn't it be possible? From
> what I understand, HD-DVD players will be able to read "standard" DVD
> discs. Why couldn't somebody put high definition video on a standard
> DVD, assuming the player supported it?

Why would you want to? The disc wouldn't be able to store enough to make it
worthwhile, and you'd still need HD output to see it properly.

Windows 98 and Disck Drives Blaster Computer Information 7 11-24-2004 07:40 PM
DVD+R Is Now Marked As Non-Recordable Harvey Gratt Computer Support 2 02-07-2004 08:17 PM
DVD recordable Soup Computer Support 1 12-15-2003 10:40 PM
Re: Recordable DVD Advice Pug Fugley DVD Video 3 08-28-2003 11:42 AM
Re: Recordable DVD Advice Colon Terminus DVD Video 1 08-22-2003 01:00 AM

Advertisments