Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD backup legality

DVD backup legality

RichA

I know (at least I think I do)
that it is legal to make a copy
of a DVD you own for your own use.
However, what if you made a copy
of a DVD you owned and then sold the
original?
-Rich

aqlumen@gmail.com

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you would have to either
give the backup DVD to the buyer of the original or discard it.

Urra Dipschitt

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know (at least I think I do)
> that it is legal to make a copy
> of a DVD you own for your own use.

Nope.

> However, what if you made a copy
> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
> original?

Hmmmm...now that's a brain-teaser!

kaydigi

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know (at least I think I do)
> that it is legal to make a copy
> of a DVD you own for your own use.
> However, what if you made a copy
> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
> original?
> -Rich

DMCA the current version, says you can't circumvent DVD ENCRYPTION. So if
you do that your back up is illegal.

theyak

says...
> I know (at least I think I do)
> that it is legal to make a copy
> of a DVD you own for your own use.
> However, what if you made a copy
> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
> original?
> -Rich

It is illegal to break the encryption on dvds. You are a criminal anyway
so you might as well keep the copy.

Justin

RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
> I know (at least I think I do)
> that it is legal to make a copy
> of a DVD you own for your own use.

In the US, no it isn't.

> However, what if you made a copy
> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
> original?

What do you think? Of course that's illegal

Alpha

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
>> I know (at least I think I do)
>> that it is legal to make a copy
>> of a DVD you own for your own use.

> In the US, no it isn't.
>
>> However, what if you made a copy
>> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
>> original?

> What do you think? Of course that's illegal

As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However, it
also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA contradicts itself and
there are fights in the courts.

Alpha

"Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
>>> I know (at least I think I do)
>>> that it is legal to make a copy
>>> of a DVD you own for your own use.

>> In the US, no it isn't.
>>
>>> However, what if you made a copy
>>> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
>>> original?

>> What do you think? Of course that's illegal

> As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However,
> it also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA contradicts
> itself and there are fights in the courts.

PS

No matter what, you cannot make a copy and sell the original nor the copy.

Doonie

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500, RichA wrote:

>I know (at least I think I do) that it is legal to make a copy
>of a DVD you own for your own use. However, what if you
>made a copy of a DVD you owned and then sold the original?

Where?

Patrick Michael

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know (at least I think I do)
> that it is legal to make a copy
> of a DVD you own for your own use.
> However, what if you made a copy
> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
> original?
> -Rich

Of course it's not legal. Nobody is gonna come after you or even know about
it though.