Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ShoutFactory goofs up Punky Brewster again (season 2)

ShoutFactory goofs up Punky Brewster again (season 2)

dvdguy2@webtv.net

Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
stereo, but

ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
EXCEPT one.

The ONLY episode of Punky Brewser that is in the orginal sereo on the
dvd set is the episode titled "Urban Fear" (disc 3).

And it's good sounding stereo also.

All of the other season 2 episodes of

season 2 of "Punky Brewster" should sound like 'Urban Fear".

but they're all mono copies of the original stereo broadcasts except
"Urban Fear" which is in the actual stereo it was made in.

Ironically, even all of the episodes specificlly marked "in stereo" on
the discss are all in mono, when they should be in stereo.

Looking up dvd reviews on the internet, it seems that all of the dvd
copies have the same sound.

so exchanging it at the store for another set of the same won't do any
good.

And the stores won't accept a return for refund since it's been opened.

And the stores won't accept it as defective since their machines show
it's not defective and plays fine on their machines without skipping.

I consider it defective since they are not in the original stereo they
were made and broadcast in , except for the one episode.

I feel ripped off now.

Since the stores won't accept returns on opened dvd's, once again
consumers end up being the ones unfairly paying for the companies'
mistakes.

But I don't really want a cash refund. I'm not trying to rip them off by
returning it after watching every episode. (Pus the stores w't accept
areturn o it,anyway). What I really want is a free exchange for a season
2 dvd set with every seasn 2 episode wth the original stereo sound the
way it's supposd to be.

And none of the remixed garbage either, unless the orginal stereo track
is included on every season 2 episode that oriinally had it.. And as I
remember, the entire season 2 of Punky Brewster was originally in
stereo.

but for the dvd, someone seems to have used mono copies of the original
stereo brodcasts

Granted the outside of the package doesn't say anything about the
sound. which makes me think someone knew and decided to use them anyway
thinking we wouldn't notice since many of the early stereo tv shows have
had mono copies airing in syndicated reruns for years now ever since
they first went into syndication.'

On the other hand, (and I think this is more likely what really
probably happened) since mono copies have been airing for years, they
might just have been ignorant and decided to slap any old copies they
could find onto the dvd's without checking them first.

since at least one episode on the dvd (in the middle), "Urban Fear" is
in it's actual original stereo.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still glad I got the set since I wouldn't have
had these episodes at all any other way, in the best picture quality I
can.

but they could have done a lot better. hey coud have give us the
original stereo versions, but they didn't. They did seem to transfer in
stereo, but they used mono copies of stereo episodes except for one
that they used an actual original stereo copy of "Punky Brewster: Urban
Fear"

season 1 was okay in mono since it was made and aired that way. Season 2
isn't okay in mono since it was made and aired in stereo.

This would be like releasing all of the season episodes of a modern
color show in black and white on dvd except for one epiode on the dvd
being in it's original color version. (such as if every episode of
Smallville was lack and white on the dvd excep one episode after knowing
they were made and aired and seeig them in it's original color version
on tv.

If you have the dvd set and want to know what season 2 should sound like
then watch

"Punky Brewster: Urban Fear"

through your stereo amp.

That' seems to be the ONLY episode on the season 2 dvd set in the way it
should be.

And it doesn't seem to be related to production order either, for
several reasons, after I checked the discs.

the "fresh prince of bel air" also originally aired in stereo but at
least the box for that tells you that those stereo episodes are "mono"
on the disc altough it doesn't tell you that they originally aired in
stereo.

This trend of releaing tv shows that oriinally aired in stereo in mono
on dvd sets has got to stop. (but probably won't).

it's like releasing tv shows that originally aired in color in black and
white on dvd sets.

It seems like the Fresh Prince set was intentionally released in mono
when it should have been the original stereo, so

I have to give the Punky Brewster set a higher (better) rating since it
seems like they did intend to release it in it's original version
(stereo0, but seems like they somehow made a mistake and goofed up by
using mono copies of stereo episodst episode "Uan Fear" that they
actually somehow managed to use the correct copy of.

I believe it was an honest unintentional mistake on Shout Factory's
part, for certain reasons after watching and listening to the dvd's.

But I'm not sure whose fault it actually is. ShoutFactory's, NBC's, or
Sony's,or a combination of two or more.

But as far as I'm concerned, it's a big goof-up they did this time. I
consider this even more of a goof up than leaving the last chapter off
one of the cartoons in the season 1 set (althoug Im sre some people will
probably think leaving the last chapter off one of the cartoons in the
season 1 set is the bigger goof-up).

Although I do think it was an honest mistake and not intentional.

And I guess I really can't complain since the box didn't specifically
say "in stereo" on it, but when it says "season 2", I expect to get the
entire season 2, not just part of it.

Mono cancels out some naturally heard out-of-phase signals of stereo
recordings, which might explain some of the complaints by other people
about some hard to hear sounds in a few places in the set.

Anyway, as it stands so far, the ONLY episode on the season 2 set that
ACTUALLY IS IN IT"S ORIGINAL FORMAT LIKE IT SHOULD BE IS

"PUNKY BREWSTER: URBAN FEAR"

"PUNKY BREWSTER: URBAN FEAR"

"PUNKY BREWSTER: URBAN FEAR

dvdguy2@webtv.net

wrotr: Now...which's worse: SF making a minor problem,

This "minor problem" is becoming a trrend on too many dvd sets. the
"minor problem" of releasing mono episodes of tv episodes that
originally aired in stereo.

such as season 1 of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. And some others that
I can't currently remember the titles of.

But by following your logic, it's a "minor problem" for the dvd
companies to release the season sets of "Alias" and "Smallville" in only
black and white instead of the color that they were originally aired in.

(If that had of happened).

But don't worry, even though the shows originally aired in color,
releasing them on dvd in only black and white is only a "minor problem"
and you should be glad to have the episodes of "Alias" and "Smallville"
in black and white on dvd, withouut being able to get a monetary regund
at all, and without being able to exchange them for copies that have the
episodes in color as they originally aired.
Being in black and white instead of their original color is only a
"minor problem".

and it doesn't matter what or how the director or producer intended it
to be. Alias and Smallville being only in black and white on dvd is only
a "minor problem"

I don't mind black and white shows being in black and white on dvd and I
don't mind mono shows being in mono on dvd, but I would and do mind if a
color show was in black and white on dvd and when stereo shows are in
mono on dvd.

And I know most of you in the dvd newsgroup would be complaining if they
released a 5.1 surround sound movie in only mono on dvd, provided you
liked the movie.

and I know most of you in the dvd newsgroup would be complaining if they
released a black and white movie in only a colorized version on dvd.

dvdguy2@webtv.net

hypothetical question: What would you do if the Smallville dvd's were
released only in mono on dvd, after hearing the episodes in stereo or
surround sound on tv?

And you couldn't exchange them for 5.1 copies since the manufacturer
goofed by using only mono copies of the episodes you knew were made in
stereo surround.

And you couldn't return them to the store for a monetary refund either,
because the stores won't accept a return them since they have already
been opened.

so you're stuck with a dvd of Smallville episodes in mono when you know
they should be either stereo or surround sound.

Would you consider this only a "minor problem" with the dvd's?

or a "major problem" with the dvd's?

or someting else?

What would you do if this had of hapened.

It hasn't happened with the Smallville dvd's yet that I'm aware of, but
what would you do if it did happen to you?

[...]

Derek Janssen

> Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
> Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
> stereo, but
>
> ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
> EXCEPT one.

Now...which's worse:

SF making a minor problem, or publicly admitting that you actually
BOUGHT Punky Brewster, Season 2?

Think about it.

Derek Janssen (y'know, sometimes being an Angry Usenet Fanboy carries a
heavy price to pay)
(E-Mail Removed)

crystalskull

>What would you do if the Smallville dvd's were
released only in mono on dvd, after hearing the episodes in stereo or
surround sound on tv?

I would kill myself.

me

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This "minor problem" is becoming a trrend on too many dvd sets. the
> "minor problem" of releasing mono episodes of tv episodes that
> originally aired in stereo.

another problem is not having episodes uncut. Especially on a set
that specifically says 'uncut' (I'm speaking about the Ren and Stimpy
set) The "Mr Bean: The Whole Bean" set is also not uncut. (I've
compared a couple episodes to ones I had on tape from PBS.)

Larry

In article <QTYOd.103$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
> > Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
> > stereo, but
> >
> > ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
> > EXCEPT one.

> Now...which's worse:
>
> SF making a minor problem, or publicly admitting that you actually
> BOUGHT Punky Brewster, Season 2?
>
> Think about it.
>
> Derek Janssen (y'know, sometimes being an Angry Usenet Fanboy carries a
> heavy price to pay)
> (E-Mail Removed)

I will send money to make sure NOBODY EVER SENDS ME "Punky Brewster"

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

georgeveghty@yahoo.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
> Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be

in
> stereo, but
>
> ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
> EXCEPT one.

Why do you give a **** about the sound? You only need the picture when
you're masturbating to her.

Biz

That is so hypothetical that it wouldnt happen...plus in NE Ohio, they are
broadcast in mono on Cleveland's WB station which I believe is still SD
only..