Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > time to scrap tv theme songs?

time to scrap tv theme songs?

dvdguy2@webtv.net

I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
dsappear altogether.

While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.

Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.

But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
in row when you watch a whole season at once.

and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.

Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
only four days left to return it if it's defective.

David

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
> hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
> dsappear altogether.
>
> While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
> because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.

Themes don't mean that much to me. Sure, I know every syllable of the Brady
Bunch and Gilligan's Island. But out of hundreds (thousands?) of songs
burned permanently into my brain, only a few dozen are themes.

Looks like we can't avoid having our shows' time trimmed by an extra
commercial or two--they do have to pay for the show and make a profit--so
cutting the theme works for me. I'd rather have 30-60 seconds more of LOST
than expand the theme song, which now last probably only 5-10 seconds.

Dave
Earguy

Biz

chapter skip to skip the theme song after the first episode, works fine
here...
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
> hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
> dsappear altogether.
>
> While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
> because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.
>
> Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
> tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.
>
> But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
> start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
> on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
> in row when you watch a whole season at once.
>
> and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
> the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
> returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
> have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
> long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
>
> Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
> usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
> episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
> only four days left to return it if it's defective.

Default User

> and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make

sure
> the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit

on
> returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places

do
> have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
> long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
>
> Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
> usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
> episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc,

there's
> only four days left to return it if it's defective.

Wow, if they had some way to like go forward fast or something on these
DVD players.

Brian

dvdguy2@webtv.net

chapter skip to skip the theme song after the first episode, works fine
here...

not quite my point. I wasn't complaining about theme songs. Although
some other people have. And they have said that some tv show dvd's don't
let you skip the heme song when you chapter skip. The chapter skip
simply takes you to the beginning of the next episode. (only on some
titles).

I myself like theme songs. I even like them on the shows on dvd for
the shows that had them. I even said I hate to see them disappear and
that I still want them on every episode that originally had them on dvd.

I was simply pointing out that as some others have said, maybe the time
to get rid of them has come.
and as another person said, since there's more commercials on tv now
than there used to be, more of the actual show without a theme song is
more preferrable to less of a show with the same them song.

Sometime in the last few years, the time of actual first-run half hour
sitcoms went down to about 15 minutes total (including the theme song,,
but not counting the commercials).

anyone can test this theirselves.

Freddie Highmore fan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
> hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
> dsappear altogether.
>
> While I hate to see them dsappear, I think it is about time, simply
> because of the opularity of season sets of tv shows on dvd.
>
> Now don't get me wrong. I still want the theme songs on every episode of
> tv show that had them on the air when thoset shows are releaed to dvd.
>
> But for newer shows that haven't aired yet, I think the time has come to
> start producing them without theme songs so that when they're released
> on dvd in season sets, you don't hear the same theme song several times
> in row when you watch a whole season at once.
>
> and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make sure
> the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit on
> returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places do
> have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
> long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
>
> Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
> usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
> episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc, there's
> only four days left to return it if it's defective.

It'd be a real shame if they did. If they had done that in the
late-'60s, imagine watching 'The Brady Bunch' w/ no opening theme
song... just the actors names during the opening scene.

Joshua Zyber

"Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> and you literally ave to watch a whole season at once just to make

> sure
>> the dvds aren't defective sice most places have only a 10 day limit

> on
>> returning defective dvd's for exchange of the same title. Some places

> do
>> have a longer 14 day return policy, but that still doesn't seem very
>> long to me tto check out to mak sure the discs aren'tdefetive.
>>
>> Watcng one disc per night in a season set of an hour long tv show
>> usually takes abot 4 hours a night for me (dependng on he number of
>> episodes on the disc) and by the time I finish the sixth disc,

> there's
>> only four days left to return it if it's defective.

> Wow, if they had some way to like go forward fast or something on
> these
> DVD players.

In DVDguy2's world, the DVD players that have fast forward functions
cost $10,000,000 and are sold in stores next to the 2.35:1 TVs.

Jorabi

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> Sometime in the last few years, the time of actual first-run half hour
> sitcoms went down to about 15 minutes total (including the theme song,,
> but not counting the commercials). anyone can test this theirselves.

20-22 minutes.

Jay G.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:28:22 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> chapter skip to skip the theme song after the first episode, works fine
> here...
>
> not quite my point. I wasn't complaining about theme songs. Although
> some other people have. And they have said that some tv show dvd's don't
> let you skip the heme song when you chapter skip. The chapter skip
> simply takes you to the beginning of the next episode. (only on some
> titles).

There's still the fast forward button on your remote, yes?

> I was simply pointing out that as some others have said, maybe the time
> to get rid of them has come.
> and as another person said, since there's more commercials on tv now
> than there used to be, more of the actual show without a theme song is
> more preferrable to less of a show with the same them song.

In case you didn't notice, the theme songs play over the intro credit
sequence. So unless the eliminate credits and actually having some
identifier as to what show it is, the theme song will probably stay. I do
think credit sequences and themes have shortened over the years though.
Sometimes intro credit sequences are cut short for episodes that run a
little long. The Simpsons regularly had an abbreviated intro.

> Sometime in the last few years, the time of actual first-run half hour
> sitcoms went down to about 15 minutes total (including the theme song,,
> but not counting the commercials).

As has been pointed out, first-run sitcoms run about 20-22 minutes.

What DVDs offer is the capability for longer episodes. Many shows have
filmed scenes that get shortened or cut for time before broadcast. What
DVD can offer is to restore these extended cuts for home viewing. Some
examples are extended pilots on the sets for Arrested Development and
Sledge Hammer! I think the Highlander TV sets also show the longer,
European cuts of the show.

-Jay

Derek Janssen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I grrew up with tvshow that had theme songs. For years now, the networks
> hav been getting rid of them. Several people tthink they will eventuall
> dsappear altogether.

Actually, the industry and the networks WERE ready to scrap themes as a
basic rule (the same way end-credits have now become "officially" extinct)--

This was back in the mid-90's, and what, you ask, singlehandedly saved
themes' behinds at the networks at the last minute?:

<Rembrandts guitar riff for "Friends" theme>...

Derek Janssen (now, aren't you GLAD??)
(E-Mail Removed)