Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > BOYCOTT EBAY - 18th to ???? (The eBay Scam)

BOYCOTT EBAY - 18th to ???? (The eBay Scam)

Joe S

> I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote town
> or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or if th e
> dvd title in question is very rare.
> But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
> you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and get a
> NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a used one on
> ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain crazy!

You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

--
Joe

Otter

On 8 Feb 2005 09:45:47 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
>One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
>and final
>value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
>sheep.

They're a business, they need to make money. Charging 3cents to host
your auction wouldn't exactly allow them to stay in business.

That $0.35 must really break your bank.

-Otter

RichA

On 8 Feb 2005 09:45:47 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
>One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
>and final
>value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
>sheep.
>
>A one week boycott would have eBay bending over backwards to bring
>sellers back. A mass exodus would put an end to this insanity. The
>internet was never
>meant to be dominated by big corporations.
>
>Have some self respect. Bite the bullet for a week or two. You have the
>power to shape the future of online sales for independent sellers. Or
>you can
>laydown and do nothing and let eBay continue to exploit you.
>
>BOYCOTT 18th to ???....until ebay gets the message. Sellers put up
>99% of the work to produce the items listed on eBay. Sellers pay eBay
>to host their auctions. Not to be exploited.

It's pretty clear to most that items sold for under $25 or so are not
worth the effort on Ebay. Unless you do what many retailers on Ebay
do an horrifically pad the shipping costs!
-Rich

Jon Purkey

On 8 Feb 2005 17:37:33 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote town
>or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or if th e
>dvd title in question is very rare.
>But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
>you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and get a
>NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a used one on
>ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain crazy!

eBay can be cheaper, especially if you don't mind getting a used (and
possibly copied by the seller) DVD. But as long as I'm getting the
original (not the copy) and it plays without skipping then I don't
care if it's used or if the seller has broken any copyright laws.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))

FAQmeister

"Joe S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote
>> town or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or
>> if th e dvd title in question is very rare.
>> But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
>> you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and
>> get a NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a
>> used one on ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain
>> crazy!

> You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the
sellers usually don't disclose that what they are selling are imports. I
don't mind imports sometimes, if I'm getting a substantial discount over
what a US release would cost, but when I buy what I think is a US
release and it turns out to be an import, I want to hang the seller for
fraud.

Unfortunately neither eBay or Amazon seems to care about this and both
expect the buyer to return the DVD at their expense in order to get a
refund.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Justin

FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:38:51 -0800]:
> "Joe S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote
>>> town or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or
>>> if th e dvd title in question is very rare.
>>> But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
>>> you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and
>>> get a NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a
>>> used one on ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain
>>> crazy!

>> You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

> Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the

Bootlegs. Not imports.

FAQmeister

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com
> FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:38:51 -0800]:
>> "Joe S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>

>>> You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

>> Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the

> Bootlegs. Not imports.

I've seen plenty of bootlegs, but the one's I'm talking about look like
authorized releases to me. The artwork is perfect and they have good
UPCs, as well as subtitles in different languages--not just Asian.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

Jay G.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:20:53 -0800, FAQmeister wrote:
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:38:51 -0800]:
>>> Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the

>> Bootlegs. Not imports.

> I've seen plenty of bootlegs, but the one's I'm talking about look like
> authorized releases to me. The artwork is perfect and they have good
> UPCs, as well as subtitles in different languages--not just Asian.

So they're good quality bootlegs. If the DVD is region free and has Asian
subtitles, and if the seller is selling a large volume of them at a
substantive discount, then they're likely bootlegs. The quality of the
pressing or packaging aren't as much a consideration anymore, as pirates
have gotten better at this.

Now, there are a lot of legitimate Asian releases. However, the majority
of them never show up on eBay, and if it's a Hollywood release, are very
likely to cost the same or more than an R1. There are exceptions, but
especially if the seller is trying to pass it off as an R1, it's probably a
bootleg.

-Jay

tabernacle2002@hotmail.com

He is right about one thing I have not purchased any dvds on Ebay
lately but other than that...

In fact to give you an example this morning I purchased "The Man in the
Moon" for $6.64 at Walmart which, if you go look on Ebay you will see
that most of the "Opening Bids" are almost all greater than what I
aldeady paid, and that is before you factor in the S&H!

And then you gotta wonder and worry(like you pointed out) about things
like is this the "Real Deal"or some pirated crap put out by some
chinese bootlegers who a decade ago might have been making rubber dog
doo.

Heck just keep your eyes on the sunday flyers from Best Buy and Circut
City and Walmart and Target (and doxens of other stores big and
small)and you will find most all the dvd deals you want, and then some!