Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Renting via mail

Renting via mail

andrew.upton4

Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you a DVD
by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?
If so, are they any good, and is it the RENTAL version ( the kind they have
at Blockbusters with NO extras )
or is it the RETAIL version of the DVD that they have ?

Joe S

andrew.upton4 wrote:
> Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you a DVD
> by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?
> If so, are they any good,

Yep. I find the Blockbuster deal very worthwhile. $15/mo. 3 out at a
time plus 2 free in-store rentals (DVD or game) per month.

> and is it the RENTAL version ( the kind they have at Blockbusters with NO extras )

Huh??? Don't have an idea what you're referring to. They don't make
special "skinny" versions for Blockbuster.

> or is it the RETAIL version of the DVD that they have ?

Yes.

--
Joe

Mark B.

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gLdNd.2176$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you a
> DVD
> by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?
> If so, are they any good, and is it the RENTAL version ( the kind they
> have
> at Blockbusters with NO extras )
> or is it the RETAIL version of the DVD that they have ?

What are you talking about? BB rents the same retail version sold
everywhere else. Don't believe any of those urban legends that BB edits
their movies or carries only stripped down versions.

Mark

andrew.upton4

In England, there are 2 versions of all DVD's
1 - The RETAIL version. This consist of the movie, plus any amount of
extras.
2 - The RENTAL version. This consists of the movie and maybe a trailer and a
commentary track ( if you are lucky )
It is this rental version that Blockbuster ( In the United Kingdom ) has.
"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gLdNd.2176$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you a
> > DVD
> > by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?
> > If so, are they any good, and is it the RENTAL version ( the kind they
> > have
> > at Blockbusters with NO extras )
> > or is it the RETAIL version of the DVD that they have ?
> >

> What are you talking about? BB rents the same retail version sold
> everywhere else. Don't believe any of those urban legends that BB edits
> their movies or carries only stripped down versions.
>
> Mark

Joe S

andrew.upton4 wrote:
> In England, there are 2 versions of all DVD's
> 1 - The RETAIL version. This consist of the movie, plus any amount of
> extras.
> 2 - The RENTAL version. This consists of the movie and maybe a trailer and a
> commentary track ( if you are lucky )
> It is this rental version that Blockbuster ( In the United Kingdom ) has.

In that case, you maybe should have mentioned your location, especially
in regards to a mail service which is VERY sensitive to locale.

I've never heard about this RENTAL version in the UK, but there's
probably no reason I should have.

--
Joe

Biz

There is no such thing as a rental version of a disk. BUt most rental
places only rent the main movie disk of a two disk set.

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gLdNd.2176$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you a

DVD
> by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?
> If so, are they any good, and is it the RENTAL version ( the kind they

have
> at Blockbusters with NO extras )
> or is it the RETAIL version of the DVD that they have ?

Biz

I'm not in teh UK, but this is the 1st I've ever heard of that practice.
Cna some other UK readers either confirm this or point out that he's a
raving loon?

"andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0fqNd.312$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In England, there are 2 versions of all DVD's
> 1 - The RETAIL version. This consist of the movie, plus any amount of
> extras.
> 2 - The RENTAL version. This consists of the movie and maybe a trailer and

> commentary track ( if you are lucky )
> It is this rental version that Blockbuster ( In the United Kingdom ) has.
> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:gLdNd.2176$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you

> > > DVD
> > > by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?
> > > If so, are they any good, and is it the RENTAL version ( the kind they
> > > have
> > > at Blockbusters with NO extras )
> > > or is it the RETAIL version of the DVD that they have ?
> > >

> > What are you talking about? BB rents the same retail version sold
> > everywhere else. Don't believe any of those urban legends that BB edits
> > their movies or carries only stripped down versions.
> >
> > Mark

Justin

Biz wrote on [Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:25:12 GMT]:
> I'm not in teh UK, but this is the 1st I've ever heard of that practice.
> Cna some other UK readers either confirm this or point out that he's a
> raving loon?

They do it to an extent in Australia as well

> "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0fqNd.312$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In England, there are 2 versions of all DVD's
>> 1 - The RETAIL version. This consist of the movie, plus any amount of
>> extras.
>> 2 - The RENTAL version. This consists of the movie and maybe a trailer and

>> commentary track ( if you are lucky )
>> It is this rental version that Blockbuster ( In the United Kingdom ) has.
>> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "andrew.upton4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:gLdNd.2176$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > What are you talking about? BB rents the same retail version sold
>> > everywhere else. Don't believe any of those urban legends that BB edits
>> > their movies or carries only stripped down versions.
>> >
>> > Mark

Bill Turner

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:18:58 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is no such thing as a rental version of a disk.

Don't be so sure about that. Just a few days ago I had a disk from
NetFlix which was clearly marked "Rental Version", and I don't mean a
label of some kind. It was printed on the disk along with the title and
all. I think it was Troy, but I could be mistaken.

--
BT

Stan Brown

"andrew.upton4" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Does anyone belong to one of those " Video clubs " where they send you a DVD
>by mail with unlimited rent time and free return postage ?

<sarcasm>
No, none of the thousands of people on this newsgroup have any
experience with video rentals by mail. Sheesh!
</sarcasm>

htp://groups.google.com select "advanced search" and search for all
the words "dvd rent mail" (no quotes).

http://OakRoadSystems.com/