Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD aimed at who???

HD-DVD aimed at who???

RichA

Take a look at the price of this player.
Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
notice any difference between it and regular
DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
difference?
http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

Jay G.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:43:49 -0500, RichA wrote:

> Take a look at the price of this player.
> Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
> who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
> notice any difference between it and regular
> DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
> of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
> difference?
> http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

That's not an HD-DVD player. That's a DVD player that upconverts the image
to HD. To benefit from this feature, one would need a TV capable of
handling an HD signal, regardless of the actual resolution of the TV. It's
like progressive scan, which is predominant on current DVD players despite
most people not having the capability to utilize it.

-Jay

Mike Kohary

RichA wrote:
> Take a look at the price of this player.
> Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
> who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
> notice any difference between it and regular
> DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
> of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
> difference?
> http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

It says:

"HD DVD playback: In addition to progressive-scan capability, this stylish
DVD player can upconvert movies to high-definition 1080i resolution. This
means you can enjoy all of your favorite films in stunning high-definition."

I'm guessing it's not true HD; it just upconverts the standard resolution to
HD resolution, but of course that doesn't add any of the extra detail that
makes HD hi-def, and it probably doesn't play actual HD discs.

Richard C.

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Take a look at the price of this player.
> Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
> who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
> notice any difference between it and regular
> DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
> of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
> difference?
> http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

Do you realize that this is NOT an HD-DVD player?

RichA

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:55:26 -0800, "Richard C."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Take a look at the price of this player.
>> Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
>> who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
>> notice any difference between it and regular
>> DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
>> of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
>> difference?
>> http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

>Do you realize that this is NOT an HD-DVD player?

I do now. I should have known since those things have
been out for a couple years.
-Rich