Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > David Lynch's DUNE extended version to be released

David Lynch's DUNE extended version to be released

TOM RICCI

Well finally region 1 is to see the extended version of Dune that TV ran on May
10, and it will be out for the first time in widescreen, Hopefully Universal
will also make sure there put back the footage cut by TV and finish some of the
effects (like the blue eyes)
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/index.html#mytwocents

unclejr

TOM RICCI wrote:
> Well finally region 1 is to see the extended version of Dune that TV
> ran on May 10, and it will be out for the first time in widescreen,
> Hopefully Universal will also make sure there put back the footage
> cut by TV and finish some of the effects (like the blue eyes)
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/index.html#mytwocents

Don't you mean the "Alan Smithee" version of Dune? Frankly, I'm
amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

-Junior

Ian W. Hill

>Don't you mean the "Alan Smithee" version of Dune? Frankly, I'm
>amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
>legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

He does. And he isn't fond of the theatrical cut so much, either (he has
talked about it, briefly, in chats on his website). But he doesn't have any
rights regarding this film, apart from taking his name off the extended cut as
writer and director.

restore my patriotism to reply

Joshua Zyber

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Frankly, I'm
> amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
> legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

He doesn't care one way or the other. He disowned the film years ago. He
considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
whatever they want with it but he won't get involved.

napalm68

Pretty sad really, as for all the complaints, I find it a pretty fine Lynch
work.

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FXTMd.577$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> "unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Frankly, I'm
>> amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
>> legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

> He doesn't care one way or the other. He disowned the film years ago. He
> considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
> whatever they want with it but he won't get involved.

WinningerR

>>>He doesn't care one way or the other. He disowned the film years ago. He
considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
whatever they want with it but he won't get involved. <<<

Not to mention that he couldn't stop Universal from releasing it even if he
wanted to. Universal owns the film and can do what they like with it. (That's
how the "extended version" was created in the first place).

Nick

I've got a dodgy r2 version of that extended version - terrible quality.
Dunno if its worth buying this new one as I have the abovementioned one
(which I dont watch much anyway) and the new r2 2-disc (which admittedly has
a very sparse 2nd disc). Going to wait for the reviews of this one...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

TOM RICCI wrote:
> Well finally region 1 is to see the extended version of Dune that TV
> ran on May 10, and it will be out for the first time in widescreen

Since the Allan Smithee cut was on TV, my guess is that it won't be WS.

-Junior

ShadowRaptor

"WinningerR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

He
> considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
> whatever they want with it but he won't get involved. <<<
>
> Not to mention that he couldn't stop Universal from releasing it even if

he
> wanted to. Universal owns the film and can do what they like with it.

(That's
> how the "extended version" was created in the first place).

The extended version simply adds a little history to the Dune universe at
the beginning. It's animated, I believe ...

Joshua Zyber

"ShadowRaptor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K49Nd.18820$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The extended version simply adds a little history to the Dune universe
> at
> the beginning. It's animated, I believe ...

The TV cut adds cartoon drawings throughout the movie, repeats certain
shots over and over again, and creates entire new scenes using footage
from other scenes.