Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Cyberlink's "PowerDVD"

Cyberlink's "PowerDVD"

Patch

I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this program?
What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

kaydigi

"Patch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
> does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
> haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this
> program?
> What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

Maybe a fresh install of Win 98 or it's time to upgrade to XP.

Nonymous

"Patch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
> does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
> haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this
> program?
> What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

PowerDVD and WinDVD are usually considered the top choices. I prefer
PowerDVD myself. Never have had any problems with it. Might want to make
sure you have your latest video drivers installed. I believe it also uses
DirectShow so make sure you have the highest DirectX installed that Win98
can handle.

Dick Sidbury

Patch wrote:
> I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
> does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
> haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this program?
> What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

The last time I used it PowerDVD was a player not a burner. As to my
recommendation, I burn with Nero and one of my colleagues burns with Roxio.

dick
-- and there's lots of free stuff to burn with.

TSKO

Dvd decryptor...simple to use...and its totally free...yes..free

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patch wrote:
>> I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5.
>> It
>> does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
>> haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this
>> program?
>> What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?
>>

> The last time I used it PowerDVD was a player not a burner. As to my
> recommendation, I burn with Nero and one of my colleagues burns with
> Roxio.
>
> dick
> -- and there's lots of free stuff to burn with.

Bob Troll

Throw out version 5. If you really want to use power dvd, then use version 4
with win98. I would use nerovision as it is much more stable, the latest
version that is. I had nothing but bad issues with power dvd 5 with 98 over
here.

Regards, Bob Troll

Manda

"Patch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver
> 5. It does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their
> support, but haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck
> with this program?

I know this doesn't help, but I too just got a LiteOn drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM
combo) with PowerDVD 5, and it works just fine on my Win98SE system.

Manda

M.B.

Manda wrote:
> "Patch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver
>>5. It does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their
>>support, but haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck
>>with this program?

> I know this doesn't help, but I too just got a LiteOn drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM
> combo) with PowerDVD 5, and it works just fine on my Win98SE system.
>
> Manda

My advice would be to upgrade to Win XP or Win 2000. You'll be thankful
in the long run. Win 98 is plagued with too many problems. Every 2 to
6 months, I'd have to reformat or reinstall Win98 simply due to the
eventual build up in problems and overall glitches that would arise just
from everyday operation. I've been on this current install of XP for
almost a year and a half now and no problems to date.

I know this doesn't help you with your overall problem and certainly
isn't an easy solution. If you have a PC that isn't capable of running
XP or running it well, then you'd be best advised to just buy a new
computer.

Stan Brown

"M.B." wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>My advice would be to upgrade to Win XP or Win 2000. You'll be thankful
>in the long run. Win 98 is plagued with too many problems. Every 2 to
>6 months, I'd have to reformat or reinstall Win98 simply due to the
>eventual build up in problems and overall glitches that would arise just
>from everyday operation.

I never had that sort of peoblem with Win 98, nd when I bought
a laptop recently I was dreading Win XP. But after a couple
of weeks, I'm a believer. It seems to run my old 16-bit
applications as well as Win 98, much to my surprise, and with
some effort spent customizing it I'm finding it easier to
work with than Win 98 -- except that it notifies me way too
often that there's no wiless network available.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Larry

says...
> I never had that sort of peoblem with Win 98, nd when I bought
> a laptop recently I was dreading Win XP. But after a couple
> of weeks, I'm a believer. It seems to run my old 16-bit
> applications as well as Win 98, much to my surprise, and with
> some effort spent customizing it I'm finding it easier to
> work with than Win 98 -- except that it notifies me way too
> often that there's no wiless network available.

Mine does that too, when Im away from my home network, but you dont have to
put up with it if it annoys you.

Just go to "Settings" "network" on the start menu and disable the wireless
adaptor (until you need it)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.