Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Advice On Plextor DVD RW

Advice On Plextor DVD RW

soinie

I really like Plextor drives and have been using their cd burners for
about 5 years and now want to get a dvd-rw, so I'm considering the
716A and the 712A. I don't know that much about dvd burner technology
so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
Thanks

soinie

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:14:54 GMT, soinie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I really like Plextor drives and have been using their cd burners for
>about 5 years and now want to get a dvd-rw, so I'm considering the
>716A and the 712A. I don't know that much about dvd burner technology
>so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
>believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
>Thanks

Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

Bill Turner

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
>buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
>Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor myself.

--
BT

Ed Kim

wrote:

> >Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want

> >buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
> >Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

> __________________________________________________ _________
>
> May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor

myself.

> --
> BT

in my experience, Plextor has sucked balls as of late, for whatever
reason. My dad bought one, which failed, then exchanged it for
another one, which also started acting weird (refused to recognize
CDs/CD-ROMs discs). My friend bought one and it refused to burn cdrs.
My friend's brother bought one and the audio wouldn't play for cds.
Two other friends bought Plextors and they each returned them.

I was planning on buying one as i'd read extremely positive early
reviews on the 8x burners, but the experiences of friends and family
has turned me off of plexdtor.

-goro-

soinie

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:15:57 -0800, Bill Turner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
>>buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
>>Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

>_________________________________________________ __________
>
>May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor myself.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/170/1

I think there might be other dual layer dvd rw drives out there that
out perform the Plextor and are cheaper. I'm looking at the NEC and
BenQ.

Large Farva

Both are overpriced. Go with a Pioneer.

"soinie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I really like Plextor drives and have been using their cd burners for
> about 5 years and now want to get a dvd-rw, so I'm considering the
> 716A and the 712A. I don't know that much about dvd burner technology
> so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
> believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
> Thanks

Halb

I recently purchased a 712A and to date have made or copied 30-35 dvds with
zero coasters and no problems at all. I consistently record at 8x using
Philips +R media.
As this is my 1st dvd-rw I have no comparisons but I am very satisfied with
the product to this point.
I purchased it from TigerDirect for $80.

Halb

"Bill Turner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
>>buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
>>Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

> __________________________________________________ _________
>
> May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor myself.
>
> --
> BT

Baked

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:14:54 GMT, soinie <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I really like Plextor drives and have been using their cd burners for
>>about 5 years and now want to get a dvd-rw, so I'm considering the
>>716A and the 712A. I don't know that much about dvd burner technology
>>so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
>>believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
>>Thanks

>Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
>buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
>Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

Firmware 1.05 was just released on Jan 24th for the 716a to make it a dual layer
burner.