Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MGM Class Action lawsuit in the USA

Reply
Thread Tools

MGM Class Action lawsuit in the USA

 
 
Reader
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2005
http://www.mgmdvdsettlement.com/

Reason for it: "The gravamen of Plaintiffs' Complaint is that certain
representations on the label and package insert of MGM's widescreen
DVDs are false and misleading because MGM's widescreen DVDs for films
shot in the 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio have the same image width as MGM's
standard screen format DVDs."

Interesting! Wonder if it affects R4 discs?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chad Sexington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2005
"The law firms representing the Plaintiffs and the Settlement Class intend
to apply to the Court for an award of attorneys' fees and for approval of
reimbursement of out-of-pocket litigation costs not to exceed $2,700,000.
The Court will decide on the amount of attorneys' fees and costs, if any,
which will be paid to counsel for Plaintiffs and the Settlement Class."

Looks like the attorneys want to do a bit of cropping to MGM.

It's a Pan & Scam I tells ya !!



"Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41fa051c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.mgmdvdsettlement.com/
>
> Reason for it: "The gravamen of Plaintiffs' Complaint is that certain
> representations on the label and package insert of MGM's widescreen
> DVDs are false and misleading because MGM's widescreen DVDs for films
> shot in the 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio have the same image width as MGM's
> standard screen format DVDs."
>
> Interesting! Wonder if it affects R4 discs?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anthony Horan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2005
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:25:57 +1100, Reader wrote:

> http://www.mgmdvdsettlement.com/
>
> Reason for it: "The gravamen of Plaintiffs' Complaint is that certain
> representations on the label and package insert of MGM's widescreen
> DVDs are false and misleading because MGM's widescreen DVDs for films
> shot in the 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio have the same image width as MGM's
> standard screen format DVDs."
>
> Interesting! Wonder if it affects R4 discs?


They're talking about the packaging, not the discs.

One of the stupidest excuses for a lawsuit ever. But then, it *is* the
USA...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chad Sexington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2005
Stupid maybe, but he won.

"Anthony Horan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:25:57 +1100, Reader wrote:
>
>> http://www.mgmdvdsettlement.com/
>>
>> Reason for it: "The gravamen of Plaintiffs' Complaint is that certain
>> representations on the label and package insert of MGM's widescreen
>> DVDs are false and misleading because MGM's widescreen DVDs for films
>> shot in the 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio have the same image width as MGM's
>> standard screen format DVDs."
>>
>> Interesting! Wonder if it affects R4 discs?

>
> They're talking about the packaging, not the discs.
>
> One of the stupidest excuses for a lawsuit ever. But then, it *is* the
> USA...



 
Reply With Quote
 
Reader
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2005
Anthony Horan wrote:

> They're talking about the packaging, not the discs.


So what? It's called misleading advertising.


 
Reply With Quote
 
ShadowRaptor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2005
"Chad Sexington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41fa1a58$0$2625$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Stupid maybe, but he won.


Yep, and they kept the sleaze lawyers away from real criminal stuff which
they usually screw up

Rob
Canada (thankfully, in this case)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2005
Chad Sexington wrote:
> Stupid maybe, but he won.


He didn't win; MGM settled. They admit no wrongdoing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2005
Reader wrote:
> Anthony Horan wrote:
>
>> They're talking about the packaging, not the discs.

>
> So what? It's called misleading advertising.


There was nothing misleading about it. Note the language, "...up to 50%..."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chad Sexington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2005
A settlement is a win

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cten3q$u3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chad Sexington wrote:
>> Stupid maybe, but he won.

>
> He didn't win; MGM settled. They admit no wrongdoing.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com
>
> Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
> Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2005
Chad Sexington wrote:
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cten3q$u3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Chad Sexington wrote:
>>> Stupid maybe, but he won.

>>
>> He didn't win; MGM settled. They admit no wrongdoing.
>>

> A settlement is a win


Not the kind of "win" you're referring to.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Sony C:13:00 class-action lawsuit RichA DVD Video 0 04-25-2005 07:31 AM
MGM DVD class action settlement - is anyone participating? Gerry DVD Video 34 03-19-2005 08:32 PM
Class action settlement for MGM widescreen DVDs Tarkus DVD Video 8 02-02-2005 03:38 AM
MGM lawsuit scott DVD Video 23 01-22-2005 09:23 PM
Olympus class action lawsuit olympussuit Digital Photography 5 08-30-2003 09:08 PM



Advertisments