Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix vs Blockbuster vs Walmart

Netflix vs Blockbuster vs Walmart

Zeppo

Are the Netflix distribution centers actually in the post offices?

I use Netflix out of Suburban Philly and the Distribution center mailing
address is the Southeastern PA post office, which is on my way to work. I
usually would stick returns in their outside drive-up mailbox at 7:30 on my
way to work. I would get the confirmation e-mail within a few hours. One
time the confirmation beat me to work (~20 minutes).

This made me believe either the post office was scanning in the returns for
Netflix or they had rented space at the post office for their distribution
center. This post office is a major hub for the USPS in this area. My
replacement movies always arrive the next day so I that also made me believe
the operation was tied into the post office.

Anyone know for sure?

Jon

"Phil R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:00 -0600, "rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I'm cancelling my Blockbuster movie pass. Since BB started no fees most

of
> >the recent movies are never in and BB stores, at least here, don't have

many
> >old movies that are interesting.
> >
> >I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart several

months
> >ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3 years

ago,
> >they got to where it was several days after they received a movie before
> >they mailed the next one. Everything they mailed came from the West Coast
> >and I live in Texas. I was lucky to get four a month. I dropped them

also.

> >My questions:
> >
> >1. Do these three have regional warehouses? Anything around Texas?

> Netflix:
>
> Atlanta, GA
> Birmingham, AL
> Boston, MA
> Chattanooga, TN
> Chicago, IL
> Cleveland, OH
> Dallas, TX
> Denver, CO
> Detroit, MI
> Fort Lauderdale, FL
> Greensboro, NC
> Houston, TX
> Lakeland, FL
> Los Angeles, CA
> Minneapolis, MN
> New York, NY
> Newark, NJ
> Philadelphia, PA
> Phoenix, AZ
> Portland, OR
> Richmond, VA
> Rochester, NY
> Saint Louis, MO
> San Jose, CA
> Seattle, WA
> Stamford, CT
> Tampa, Fl
> Washington, DC
>
> Blockbuster Online:
>
> Charlotte, NC
> Dallas, TX
> Denver, CO
> Lansing, MI
> Miami, FL
> Minneapolis, MN
> Flushing, NY
> Sacramento, CA
> Santa Ana, CA
> Seattle, WA
>

> >2. What is the turn around time now?

> Netflix: Pretty quick.
>
> They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship on
> Tuesday/Wednesday then you get it on Thursday/Friday. Normally.
> You pay 17.99
>
> Blockbuster Online: Good.
>
> They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship by
> Wednesday/Thursday, then you get it by Mon/Tuesday. A little slower.
> You pay 14.98.
>
> >3. Any of the three worth a damn?

> I'd go with Netflix. Best bet.
>
> I'm using both right now. Comparing the service.
>
> I know nothing about Walmart's services. And they're the cheapest.
>
> --Phil

Urra Dipschitt

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Zeppo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are the Netflix distribution centers actually in the post offices?

Yes! Can you believe the government actually made this concession for an
online video company (!) of all things! Amazing.

Tarkus

On 1/27/2005 12:28:40 AM, Phil R. wrote:

> I've ALWAYS experienced QUICK turnarounds with Netflix. I've already
> had to contact Blockbuster for their slow service. I just started a
> month ago.

When are people going to realize that perhaps it's not some conspiracy,
but dependant on your distribution center? It's only common sense that
some distribution centers will be run better than others, or that they
have less delays due to a lower volume.
--
"Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade."

Now playing: "Demons & Wizards - Tear Down The Wall"

Derek Janssen

docdude316 wrote:

> Phil R. wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:00 -0600, "rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> 2. What is the turn around time now?

>> Netflix: Pretty quick.
>>
>> They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship on
>> Tuesday/Wednesday then you get it on Thursday/Friday. Normally.
>> You pay 17.99
>>
>> Blockbuster Online: Good.
>>
>> They receive your DVD on Monday, they usually ship by
>> Wednesday/Thursday, then you get it by Mon/Tuesday. A little slower.
>> You pay 14.98.

> <snip>
>
> Actually I've seen some extremely fast service from Blockbuster.

Well, that's *one* complaint--
Now, we just have to deal with the fact that Blockbuster doesn't believe
we want to rent anything but "Van Helsing"..

Derek Janssen

netflixfanatic@yahoo.com

Yeah, but that was three years ago, before they opened all 30 of their
distribution centers.

I recommend Netflix 100%.

As for whether Netflix has a distribution center in the USPS, I'd say
no. However, Zeppo said that the Post Office is a "major hub", which
sounds to me like a "Postal Distribution Center", which is where
Netflix picks up their mail. The Netflix distribution centers send
shuttles to the Postal Distribution Centers to pick up the Netflix
shipments each morning. Because Zeppo dropped off a disc in the
morning, it probably landed in that morning's pickup, which meant it
arrived at the Netflix DC on the top of the pile, enabling it to be
scanned in earlier.

Becky
netflixfan dot com

bmovies

Phil R. wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:02:22 -0800, Derek Janssen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >rg wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thinking of trying the mail thing again. I tried Walmart

several months
> >> ago but was not impressed so I dropped it. I used Netflix about 3

years ago,
> >> they got to where it was several days after they received a movie

before
> >> they mailed the next one.

> >Yyyyyep, that sounds like about three years ago...
> >
> >(Use the current Netflix, and you'll know why we keep cracking these

> >"historical" in-jokes about the pre-'02 Netflix--
> >The times, they did a-change rather quickly.)
> >

> I've ALWAYS experienced QUICK turnarounds with Netflix. I've already
> had to contact Blockbuster for their slow service. I just started a
> month ago.
>
> --Phil

Blockbuster is slow as molasses for me too. Slower.

I joined on Dec. 13. I've gotten only 12 discs from them so far. They
usually take 5-6 days in shipping to me (They sent me one on Jan 22,
and I'm STILL waiting for it). The last time I've gotten a movie from
them was about 11 days ago! I live only about 45 minutes from one of
their distribution centers!

One movie in my queue, they told me they shipped. Seven days pass, and
no movie. So I go onto their website to report it. They give me the
option of either resending me another copy of the same movie or send me
the next film in my queue. So I choose for them to resend the same
movie. They do. Another seven days goes by and still no movie. So I
same two options. Rather than have then lose yet another copy of the
same movie, I throw up my hands in frustration and decide for them to
send me the next film in my queue. Yesterday I get the usual form email
from BB telling me that they have received the movie (the one that I
reporting missing twice in a row) back and thanking me for returning
it. I'm like "WTF???". I never had my hands on the damned movie. I
NEVER got it in the mail!

On the other hand. I joined Netflix on Dec. 20 (the same 3 out plan as
BB). Seven days AFTER I joined BB. And I've gotten 22 movies from them
so far (average shipping time: 1-2 days). 7 of them in the past 11
days. (and I'm expecting three more in tommorows mail) The same 11 days
in which BB has failed to send me ANYTHING.

Derek Janssen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Yeah, but that was three years ago, before they opened all 30 of their
> distribution centers.
>
> I recommend Netflix 100%.
>
> As for whether Netflix has a distribution center in the USPS, I'd say
> no. However, Zeppo said that the Post Office is a "major hub", which
> sounds to me like a "Postal Distribution Center", which is where
> Netflix picks up their mail. The Netflix distribution centers send
> shuttles to the Postal Distribution Centers to pick up the Netflix
> shipments each morning.

For the same reason that sweepstakes contests with "P.O. Box..." in
their address aren't ACTUALLY located in the post office...

[Restated for the benefit of the sarcasm-impaired, from the previous post.]

> Because Zeppo dropped off a disc in the
> morning, it probably landed in that morning's pickup, which meant it
> arrived at the Netflix DC on the top of the pile, enabling it to be
> scanned in earlier.

Meaning...their DC people do actually have to SORT through the darn
things every Monday.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Karl S

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:12:51 -0800, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Meaning...their DC people do actually have to SORT through the darn
>things every Monday.
>
>Derek Janssen
>(E-Mail Removed)

Interesting article explaining how they scan every DVD TWICE a day:
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/74/netflix.html

Karl
A happy Netflix customer since 1999.

Black Locust

In article <Yw9Kd.14$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, that's *one* complaint--
> Now, we just have to deal with the fact that Blockbuster doesn't believe
> we want to rent anything but "Van Helsing"..

The fact that they stock almost as many DVDs as Netflix leads me to
believe otherwise. They might think that's the case with the Joe
Sixpacks who regularly rent from their brick & mortar stores, but it
doesn't appear they feel this way about their online customers. Go ahead
and do some searching on their website. I suspect there will be very FEW
titles you will not be able to find.

> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

Give then time, you know they have to censor everything!