Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: The Hobbit filming

OT: The Hobbit filming

Nick

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:21:21 +0800, "Flash Gordon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ROFL
>
>Why wasn't this produced years ago...would have saved me hours reading to my
>kids.....

Ever read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever?

Book a Minute:
(Russell Lutz)

Lord Mhoram
Thomas Covenant, you are the savior of The Land.

Thomas Covenant
Bite me.

(Thomas Covenant saves The Land.)

THE END

And then there's The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Book a Minute:
(Russell Lutz)

Thomas Covenant
I am the savior of The Land.

Linden Avery
Can I help?

Thomas Covenant
Over my dead body. (dies)

(Linden Avery saves The Land.)

THE END

--Nick.
--
- GamerTag: Hayn - icq: 9235201 -- Hayn on dal.net -
http://www.sendit.com/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games?

Nick

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:20:36 GMT, Graham
<(E-Mail Removed)-online.co.uk> wrote:

>> Bilbo Baggins:
>> I'm going home. Peace and quiet, here I come.
>>
>> THE END
>>

>Well **** me, I enjoyed that!
>Much better than a couple of hours at the cinema.
>Cheers!

Always a pleasure, you may also enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The Fellowship of the Ring
(David J. Parker and Samuel Stoddard)

Gandalf
Bilbo Baggins, your Ring is evil. In a couple decades, we'll try to
destroy it. In the meantime, leave it for Frodo to play with.

Bilbo Baggins
It's not evil. It's mine. My precious. Mine! MINE, I TELL YOU!!
MOOHOOHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

(Frodo takes it to RIVENDELL. Some FRIENDS come with him. They are
attacked by black riders a LOT, and it is SCARY.)

Elrond
Frodo Baggins, if Sauron ever gets this Ring, the world will be
destroyed, and evil will reign forever. We must act quickly. Take the
Ring to where he lives.

(They do some travelling. Some more FRIENDS come with him. Gandalf
DIES in the mines of Moria, but will later be RESURRECTED in GLORIFIED
form having triumphed over EVIL, an obvious literary ALLUSION to that
movie where the guy comes back as a DOG.)

Boromir
Frodo Baggins, give me the Ring.

Frodo
No.

Boromir
What have I done? (dies)

THE END

The Two Towers
(David J. Parker and Samuel Stoddard)

(Gandalf frees THEODEN and overthrows SARUMAN. A bunch of IRRELEVANT
stuff happens. Then the PLOT starts up again.)

THE END

The Return of the King
(David J. Parker and Samuel Stoddard)

Aragorn
We must travel the Paths of the Dead.

Eowyn
You'll die.

(They don't.)

Gandalf
The Hordes of Mordor will destroy Minis Tirith.

(They don't.)

Gandalf
We must attack Mordor. We'll all be killed.

(They aren't.)

Gollum
Mmmm, yummy finger! (dies)

Frodo
The Ring has been destroyed, but now we will die in Mordor.

Sam
Buck up, Master Frodo.

(A bunch of feathered DEUS EX MACHINAS come out of NOWHERE and save
EVERYBODY.)

THE END

There. http://rinkworks.com/bookaminute/ is your friend.

--Nick.
--
- GamerTag: Hayn - icq: 9235201 -- Hayn on dal.net -
http://www.sendit.com/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games?

andrew fox

Nick wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:59:31 -0700, "Bratboy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
>>has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was the
>>issue.

> I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
> without it being aimed at five year olds.
>
> --Nick.

well i have always thought that LOR was started as a childrens book and
that changes somewhere between Bree and weathertop when he changed his
mind and started writing it for adults, well undergraduates anyway

any similar thoughts??

andrew

Invid Fan

In article <1FdJd.4444$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
Andrew Venor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bratboy wrote:
> > While I understand some think Hobbit too infantile for their tastes many of
> > us actually do like ALL of Tolkens work. Its not like a live action Hobbit
> > has already been done and this would be a remake since till now, as far as
> > know there is only an Animated version available The animated version of
> > the
> > hobbit wasn't bad actually, own it, but I would really like to see a live
> > film version to match the LotR set. They already have some of it filmed as
> > they used it as back story in the 3 films to explain Gollum & they even
> > showed the 3 stone trolls from hobbit story. Now, personally, I think he's
> > wasting his time with ANOTHER remake of King Kong. I mean, there's nothing
> > new to add to that story unless his big things is going to be "mine is more
> > realistic" type claims about a 30 ft tall ape lol.
> >

> Well remaking King Kong was one of Peter Jackson's life long dreams. So
> after the success the LOTR trilogy I would imagine that just about
> anything he does will be green lighted by a studio.
>
> Besides, has the film rights issue with the Tolkin estate been resolved
> for filming the Hobbit? The big hang-up that I heard about was that
> Christopher Tolkin was angry with New Line Studios and Peter Jackson's
> adaptation of the LOTR's because his father sold the movie rights back
> in the 1950's for a small sum to pay a tax bill. So the family wasn't
> getting a cut of the movie box office.

Tolkin's grandson is in the third film, so either the family isn't that
****ed off or he's not Christopher's kid

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Impmon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
>has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was the
>issue.

As I understand, the rights to The Hobbit is a mess so it may be a
while before one studio can get ahold of all the required rights and
then shoot it. Considering the sucess of LotR, I doubt whoever has
the right woul dlet it go cheap.

Derek Janssen

Lunaray wrote:
> Interesting, where'd you hear that?

In the words of the Tostitos commercial:

....NO. NOT really.

Derek Janssen (hands Jackson fanboys a copy of "Lovely Bones", just to
watch them have a good cry, and *not* because of the book)

Nonymous

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:59:31 -0700, "Bratboy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now someone else
>>has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do it but that was
>>the
>>issue.

> I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
> without it being aimed at five year olds.

The writing style may be aimed at children, but the story itself could
appeal to anybody. I think a movie with Smawg would be terrific.

Mike Kohary

Nick wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:59:31 -0700, "Bratboy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I think part of the problem with the Hobbit is that right now
>> someone else has the rights to do, IIRC. He has said he'd like to do
>> it but that was the issue.

> I can imagine little more boring than an adaptation of The Hobbit,
> without it being aimed at five year olds.

That wouldn't necessarily make it boring - lots of great movies aimed
primarily at kids are great entertainment for adults also. Pixar movies
come to mind.

Lunaray

While we're on the topic of Tolkien and off the DVD topic a little (sorry),
has anyone read "Bored of the Rings"? It was a parody of LOTR put out here
in the US at the height of LOTR's popularity (Circa 196; it's pretty
funny, I think I still have a copy of it somewhere, I think I'll re-read it!

Nick

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:44:37 -0500, Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tolkin's grandson is in the third film, so either the family isn't that
>****ed off or he's not Christopher's kid

In contrast, Christopher has *disowned* his son because of his
appearance in the film!

A bit OTT!

--Nick.