Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Looking for a great dvd recorder/vcr combo..are they worth it? Suggestions?

Looking for a great dvd recorder/vcr combo..are they worth it? Suggestions?

wildchild79

My double deck vcr is starting to go.. I need something new. I need
something quick..but i need something good. I was looking at a dvd
recorder/vcr combo, so i can record both ways and if needed to record
from vhs to vhs , i can hook up my old machine to the new one. Are they
worth the money? Are just plain dvd recorders a better investment? What
are the best brands to get? I hear that Sony's are horrible. Please, I
need as many suggestions as possible. Thanks!

Jon Purkey

On 23 Jan 2005 00:50:40 -0800, "wildchild79" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My double deck vcr is starting to go.. I need something new. I need
>something quick..but i need something good. I was looking at a dvd
>recorder/vcr combo, so i can record both ways and if needed to record
>from vhs to vhs , i can hook up my old machine to the new one. Are they
>worth the money? Are just plain dvd recorders a better investment? What
>are the best brands to get? I hear that Sony's are horrible. Please, I
>need as many suggestions as possible. Thanks!

Some say it is risky having a combo unit, since if one part breaks you
need to replace both. However, I like having a combo unit. I have
limited space and I needed a new VCR anyway. I also have a lot of
tapes I want to put on DVD so it was the best choice for me. It makes
it very easy to copy tapes and I get cleaner starts than I could ever
get trying to juggle two remotes. Plus onscreen text from the VCR
(PLAY, PAUSE, etc.) gets suppressed when dubbing.

I have the Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder (E75) and have been happy with.
I don't know if it is the best as I have not tried other brands, but
the DVD recorder does have features not found in the other combo
units, like simultaneous record and play and chase playback. Both are
great for time shift recording and chase playback can also be used to
pause live TV, rewind, etc.

There is also a flexible recording mode that will record a program or
copy a tape to DVD so it will just fit on the disc at the best
possible quality. For example, a 2 hour 5 min tape can be copied at
near 2 hour (SP) quality instead of at a lower quality such as the 4
hour (LP) mode.

You can record two shows at once (one to DVD, other to VCR), but can
only do one tuner (channel ##) recording at a time (so at least one
recording has to be made from A/V or s-video inputs) and you can only
do one timer recording at a time, so at least one recording has to be
started manually if recording to VCR and DVD at the same time.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))

wildchild79

ok, i will look into this. Though I am confused as to what you mean
about recording 2 at shows at once, but only one tuner at a time. Does
this mean i can record from FOX and from MTV at the same time, for
example?
Also, is there a block on copyrighted material?Thanks!
Jon Purkey wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2005 00:50:40 -0800, "wildchild79" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >My double deck vcr is starting to go.. I need something new. I need
> >something quick..but i need something good. I was looking at a dvd
> >recorder/vcr combo, so i can record both ways and if needed to

record
> >from vhs to vhs , i can hook up my old machine to the new one. Are

they
> >worth the money? Are just plain dvd recorders a better investment?

What
> >are the best brands to get? I hear that Sony's are horrible. Please,

> >need as many suggestions as possible. Thanks!

> Some say it is risky having a combo unit, since if one part breaks

you
> need to replace both. However, I like having a combo unit. I have
> limited space and I needed a new VCR anyway. I also have a lot of
> tapes I want to put on DVD so it was the best choice for me. It makes
> it very easy to copy tapes and I get cleaner starts than I could ever
> get trying to juggle two remotes. Plus onscreen text from the VCR
> (PLAY, PAUSE, etc.) gets suppressed when dubbing.
>
> I have the Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder (E75) and have been happy with.
> I don't know if it is the best as I have not tried other brands, but
> the DVD recorder does have features not found in the other combo
> units, like simultaneous record and play and chase playback. Both are
> great for time shift recording and chase playback can also be used to
> pause live TV, rewind, etc.
>
> There is also a flexible recording mode that will record a program or
> copy a tape to DVD so it will just fit on the disc at the best
> possible quality. For example, a 2 hour 5 min tape can be copied at
> near 2 hour (SP) quality instead of at a lower quality such as the 4
> hour (LP) mode.
>
> You can record two shows at once (one to DVD, other to VCR), but can
> only do one tuner (channel ##) recording at a time (so at least one
> recording has to be made from A/V or s-video inputs) and you can only
> do one timer recording at a time, so at least one recording has to be
> started manually if recording to VCR and DVD at the same time.
>
> -
> -Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))
> For a quicker reply by email please use the
> address found here: http://tinyurl.com/o8ka

Jon Purkey

On 23 Jan 2005 10:38:10 -0800, "wildchild79" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>ok, i will look into this. Though I am confused as to what you mean
>about recording 2 at shows at once, but only one tuner at a time. Does
>this mean i can record from FOX and from MTV at the same time, for
>example?

There is only 1 tuner for tuning to channel ##. You can't record
channel #5-FOX and channel #50-MTV at the same time using the
Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder to tune both channels.

You can however record channel #5-FOX and use a cable or satellite box
to tune MTV and output it by A/V to the VCR/DVDR. You could then make
that recording from L1 to DVD while recording channel 5 to the VCR.

Of course, if you have satellite or digital cable you are probably
stuck with recording one channel at a time anyway unless you have a
good OTA antenna.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))