Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > vhs to dvd conversion question

Reply
Thread Tools

vhs to dvd conversion question

 
 
MauiJNP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2005
is there a way to transfer vhs videotapes onto your computer for editing and
burning to dvd without it being in real time (for example, one hour to
transfer one hour of video). I am currently using a dvd recorder and a vcr
to transfer then uploading to my pc for editing. I heard that is can be
done faster but I didn't see how that was possible. thanks for any help.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2005
Analog cannot be transferred/captured faster than real-time.

You heard wrong...


"MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> is there a way to transfer vhs videotapes onto your computer for editing

and
> burning to dvd without it being in real time (for example, one hour to
> transfer one hour of video). I am currently using a dvd recorder and a

vcr
> to transfer then uploading to my pc for editing. I heard that is can be
> done faster but I didn't see how that was possible. thanks for any help.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MauiJNP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2005
> Analog cannot be transferred/captured faster than real-time.
>
> You heard wrong...


got it, thanks.


>
>
> "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> is there a way to transfer vhs videotapes onto your computer for editing

> and
>> burning to dvd without it being in real time (for example, one hour to
>> transfer one hour of video). I am currently using a dvd recorder and a

> vcr
>> to transfer then uploading to my pc for editing. I heard that is can be
>> done faster but I didn't see how that was possible. thanks for any help.
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2005
"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bckId.64510$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Analog cannot be transferred/captured faster than real-time.
>
> You heard wrong...
>
>
> "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> is there a way to transfer vhs videotapes onto your computer for editing

> and
>> burning to dvd without it being in real time (for example, one hour to
>> transfer one hour of video). I am currently using a dvd recorder and a

> vcr
>> to transfer then uploading to my pc for editing. I heard that is can be
>> done faster but I didn't see how that was possible. thanks for any help.
>>

>
>

I have an old HiFi system which does "high speed dubbing" of audio
cassettes. One cassette can be copied to another in a quarter of the time -
the quality (from what I remember) was OK. Can vhs be much different?




 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2005
"Stephen Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bckId.64510$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Analog cannot be transferred/captured faster than real-time.
>>
>> You heard wrong...
>>
>>
>> "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> is there a way to transfer vhs videotapes onto your computer for
>>> editing

>> and
>>> burning to dvd without it being in real time (for example, one hour
>>> to transfer one hour of video). I am currently using a dvd recorder
>>> and a

>> vcr
>>> to transfer then uploading to my pc for editing. I heard that is
>>> can be done faster but I didn't see how that was possible. thanks
>>> for any help.
>>>

>>
>>

> I have an old HiFi system which does "high speed dubbing" of audio
> cassettes. One cassette can be copied to another in a quarter of the
> time - the quality (from what I remember) was OK. Can vhs be much
> different?
>
>


VHS is very different. Audio tape uses a linear (straight line) track
and a fixed head so when it is read faster, the track is traveling in the
same straight line faster. VHS uses a helical scan track, with a moving
head that records in angled stripes across the width of the tape.
Driving the tape at a speed other than what it was recorded the head will
cover a different angle across the tape and will not read it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Barry Bruyea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2005
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:46:15 -0500, "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>is there a way to transfer vhs videotapes onto your computer for editing and
>burning to dvd without it being in real time (for example, one hour to
>transfer one hour of video). I am currently using a dvd recorder and a vcr
>to transfer then uploading to my pc for editing. I heard that is can be
>done faster but I didn't see how that was possible. thanks for any help.


You can't control the 'play' input, so there is no way to do it in
anything but real time
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copy protected VHS to DVD and VHS Nataliye Media 0 03-18-2011 09:57 AM
-Barter. VHS cassettes. Bull Durham. O.J. Simpson trial. Original motion picture VHS cassettes. Don Saklad DVD Video 0 01-20-2007 06:57 AM
VHS to DVD stand-alone boxes - how to record 6 hr VHS tapes ? - Bobb - DVD Video 16 01-04-2007 09:21 PM
VHS -> Computer -> VHS a.d. NZ Computing 3 10-19-2005 07:28 AM
Digital VHS (D-VHS) Film Buff DVD Video 5 05-08-2004 06:59 PM



Advertisments