Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What program will convert a MPEG2 video to MPEG4 retaining a playback aspect ratio?

What program will convert a MPEG2 video to MPEG4 retaining a playback aspect ratio?

Dima

What program will convert mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video to mpeg4 retaining
a playback aspect ratio? Dr.Divx and ATI MMC change a mpeg2 file
playback aspect ratio to video resolution aspect ratio when converting
to mpeg4. For example, Dr.Divx and ATI MMC change a 4x3 playback aspect
ratio of a 480X576 resolution video to a 480X576 playback aspect ratio.
What program allows to edit a mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video retaining a
playback aspect ratio?

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (19 Jan 2005 00:25:02 -0800) it happened "Dima" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <(E-Mail Removed) .com>:

>What program will convert mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video to mpeg4 retaining
>a playback aspect ratio? Dr.Divx and ATI MMC change a mpeg2 file
>playback aspect ratio to video resolution aspect ratio when converting
>to mpeg4. For example, Dr.Divx and ATI MMC change a 4x3 playback aspect
>ratio of a 480X576 resolution video to a 480X576 playback aspect ratio.
>What program allows to edit a mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video retaining a
>playback aspect ratio?

Linux transcode
from man transcode;
--export_asr C
set export aspect ratio code C [as input]

Valid codes for C are:
1 1:1
2 4:3
3 16:9
4 2.21:1
Linux ffmpeg
-aspect aspect
set aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777)

Dima

Thanks for your reply.
Will Linux transcode retain, not change video resolution in pixels?
Will it work in windows?

Dima

I need a program for Windows.
"Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/t...al_Information

Steven Whatley

Dima wrote:
> I need a program for Windows.
> "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
> http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/t...al_Information

If the source code for transcode is availible then you may be able to
install Cygwin (UNIX for Windows) and compile transcode under Cygwin.

Cygwin is free from: http://www.cygwin.com/

I have Cygwin installed at home and work.

Later,
Steven

Dima

Is the source code for transcode available?
How to compile transcode under Cygwin?

Ken Maltby

"Dima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I need a program for Windows.
> "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
> http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/t...al_Information

Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.

Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.

Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able to
compete in the general consumer PC market.

Luck;
Ken

theyak

says...
> Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able to
> compete in the general consumer PC market.

While we're waxing philosophical, all that has to happen for linux to
explode in popularity is for game developers to start using opengl or
the like...

Biz

Gordian Knot...
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

relaxification@hotmail.com

Ken Maltby wrote:
> "Dima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I need a program for Windows.
> > "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
> > http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/t...al_Information
> >

> Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
> OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.
>
> Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
> including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
> but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.
>
> Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able

> compete in the general consumer PC market.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

True enough, but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skiled user,
Linux is far more powerful than Windows.