Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Combine multiple DVD to a single DVD

Combine multiple DVD to a single DVD

Cara Stancinni

How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single long DVD?

My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each one not only
has that annoying play menu (which he's too young to navigate), but the
Thomas the Tank Engine series DVDs are extremely short (on the order of
only twenty and thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie
advertisements).

I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but I'd like
to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically plays when my child
puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.

I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?

I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a mother can
do.

Cara Stancinni

Hanson White

"Cara Stancinni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
> how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?

I do not know how but it must be easily doable.
I might be able to get you started but someone else will have to finish
this.

When I remaster title 1 on my DVDs using DVD Shrink, I seem to get the main
movie title in VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_03.VOB, etc format files (the
more files, the larger the main title 1). These large files are obviously
the actual movie files. The problem seems to arise with the IFO and BUP
files (whatever they are).

It seems to me if you remaster the main title of the 4 DVDs into 4 separate
directories and then copy and rename the VTS_01.VOB files to VTS_02.VOB,
VTS_03.VOB, and VTS_04.VOB files, you'll have the entire set of 4 movies in
a single VIDEO_TS directory.

I guess the trick would be to know what to do with the four VTS_01_0.BUP
files and the four VIDEO_TS.BUP files, in addition to the four VTS_01_0.IFO
and four VIDEO_TS.IFO files. If you're really lucky, you can just ignore the
three copies of these and go with the fourth copy but I doubt it will work -
but you can try it.

If just copying (and renaming) the four VTS_01.VOB files doesn't work, maybe
you can creatively use the IFO Editor on just the fourth VIDEO_TS.IFO file
to somehow make it point to the other three VTS.VOB files in succession?

Graham Mayor

I am sure there are other ways, but I would extract the required DVD files
to the hard drive, then I would use TMPGEnc Author to import them as
required and author a new DVD file with self starting menu. You can get a
trial of Author which should last long enough to do this.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
Graham Mayor

Cara Stancinni wrote:
> How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single long DVD?
>
> My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each one not
> only has that annoying play menu (which he's too young to navigate),
> but the Thomas the Tank Engine series DVDs are extremely short (on
> the order of only twenty and thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie
> advertisements).
>
> I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but I'd like
> to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically plays when my
> child puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
>
> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
> how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?
>
> I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a mother
> can do.
>
> Cara Stancinni

Mushroom

Cara Stancinni wrote:
> How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single long DVD?
>
> My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each one not only
> has that annoying play menu (which he's too young to navigate), but the
> Thomas the Tank Engine series DVDs are extremely short (on the order of
> only twenty and thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie
> advertisements).
>
> I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but I'd like
> to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically plays when my child
> puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
>
> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
> how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?
>
> I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a mother can
> do.

Go to http://www.videohelp.com/ and serch the guides on combining
"episodes". There is loads of help there.

--
Mushroom

Ken Maltby

> Cara Stancinni wrote:
>> How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single long DVD?
>>
>> My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each one not
>> only has that annoying play menu (which he's too young to navigate),
>> but the Thomas the Tank Engine series DVDs are extremely short (on
>> the order of only twenty and thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie
>> advertisements).
>>
>> I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but I'd like
>> to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically plays when my
>> child puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
>>
>> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
>> how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?
>>
>> I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a mother
>> can do.
>>
>> Cara Stancinni

"Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am sure there are other ways, but I would extract the required DVD files
> to the hard drive, then I would use TMPGEnc Author to import them as
> required and author a new DVD file with self starting menu. You can get a
> trial of Author which should last long enough to do this.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<>
> Graham Mayor
> <>>< ><<> ><<>

Right, just have DVDShrink output to four separate VIDEO_TS
folders, and use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button.
You can then use the "Chapter cut edit" feature to remove any
unwanted parts. If there is any difference in the technical
specifications of any of the movies, then you would have to put each
in its own "Track". Just click on the blue "Add new track..." text.

Luck;
Ken

Tom

"Cara Stancinni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single long DVD?
>
> My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each one not only
> has that annoying play menu (which he's too young to navigate), but the
> Thomas the Tank Engine series DVDs are extremely short (on the order of
> only twenty and thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie
> advertisements).
>
> I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but I'd like
> to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically plays when my child
> puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
>
> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
> how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?
>
> I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a mother can
> do.

Using DVD Shrink, extract each DVD to a different folder.

Then use DVD Shrink's Open Files to open the first folder.
Then hit the Re-author button, and drag the first title from the right
side to the left side of the window.
Then use the drop down arrow at the top of the right side to select the
folder with the next ripped DVD, and drag the first title to the left
side.
Repeat for each subsequent folder.
Hit Back Up when you have all ready for burning.

Biz

"Cara Stancinni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single long DVD?
>
> My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each one not only
> has that annoying play menu (which he's too young to navigate), but the
> Thomas the Tank Engine series DVDs are extremely short (on the order of
> only twenty and thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie
> advertisements).
>
> I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but I'd like
> to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically plays when my child
> puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
>
> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD Shrink but
> how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's into a single long DVD?
>
> I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a mother can
> do.
>
> Cara Stancinni

Rip 3 of the 4 titles to seperate folders on your harddrive, Open DVD
shrink, and choose re-author dragging the 3 titles already on your drive and
the one still on the DVD into the project window, now backup.

Billy Joe

Cara Stancinni wrote:
> How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single
> long DVD?
>
> My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each
> one not only has that annoying play menu (which he's too
> young to navigate), but the Thomas the Tank Engine series
> DVDs are extremely short (on the order of only twenty and
> thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie advertisements).
>
> I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but
> I'd like to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically
> plays when my child puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
>
> I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD
> Shrink but how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's
> into a single long DVD?
>
> I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a
> mother can do.
>
> Cara Stancinni

The secret is in DVD Shrink's reauthor page.

In addition to the titles available in the current disc or
folder, the pull down menu (just above the Name - Type bar) will
allow you to add in sources from other discs or folders.

For each of your discs reauthor JUST the title you want to its
own hard disc folder. When doing this for the last of the
discs, use the pull down to combine what you've saved from the
previous discs.

BJ

theyak

says...

> Cara Stancinni wrote:
> > How, with DVD Shrink, can I combine 4 short DVDs to a single
> > long DVD?
> >
> > My kid loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs but each
> > one not only has that annoying play menu (which he's too
> > young to navigate), but the Thomas the Tank Engine series
> > DVDs are extremely short (on the order of only twenty and
> > thirty minutes per DVD, much of it movie advertisements).
> >
> > I purchased the 4-box set (Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon), but
> > I'd like to archive all 4 to a single DVD that automatically
> > plays when my child puts the DVD disc in the DVD player.
> >
> > I can easily remaster a single DVD main title 1 using DVD
> > Shrink but how does one combine 4 separate main title 1's
> > into a single long DVD?
> >
> > I'm just a bit computer literate so it has to be something a
> > mother can do.
> >
> > Cara Stancinni

> The secret is in DVD Shrink's reauthor page.
>
> In addition to the titles available in the current disc or
> folder, the pull down menu (just above the Name - Type bar) will
> allow you to add in sources from other discs or folders.
>
> For each of your discs reauthor JUST the title you want to its
> own hard disc folder. When doing this for the last of the
> discs, use the pull down to combine what you've saved from the
> previous discs.
>
> BJ

This is the way to go. There will be no menu, but then again you don't
need one. Just set your dvd player to 'repeat disc' and leave it alone.

Tahir

Isn't it illegal to CHANGE the exact format of the original work of art?