Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Oklahoma! in Todd-AO?

Oklahoma! in Todd-AO?

MrBuddwing@aol.com

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is there an easy
way of getting both the Todd-AO and CinemaScope versions of OKLAHOMA!
on home video? Years ago, I passed up a chance to buy a laserdisc of
the Todd-AO version and I've been quietly kicking myself ever since.
(Which version is the latest DVD release?)

Martin Hart

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is there an easy
> way of getting both the Todd-AO and CinemaScope versions of OKLAHOMA!
> on home video? Years ago, I passed up a chance to buy a laserdisc of
> the Todd-AO version and I've been quietly kicking myself ever since.
> (Which version is the latest DVD release?)

Everything currently available is from the Todd-AO production. The DVD
is of very mediocre quality, being a single sided disc that is neither
dual layer nor anamorphic. The first LDs were from the CinemaScope
version, later followed by the Todd-AO. You might check eBay once or
twice a week and you may be able to find the old CinemaScope LD sooner
or later. It may not be the easiest way of getting it, but you get too
winded.

Marty
--
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com
The American WideScreen Museum

Don Carter

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:29:58 GMT, Martin Hart
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is there an easy
>> way of getting both the Todd-AO and CinemaScope versions of OKLAHOMA!
>> on home video? Years ago, I passed up a chance to buy a laserdisc of
>> the Todd-AO version and I've been quietly kicking myself ever since.
>> (Which version is the latest DVD release?)

>Everything currently available is from the Todd-AO production. The DVD
>is of very mediocre quality, being a single sided disc that is neither
>dual layer nor anamorphic. The first LDs were from the CinemaScope
>version, later followed by the Todd-AO. You might check eBay once or
>twice a week and you may be able to find the old CinemaScope LD sooner
>or later. It may not be the easiest way of getting it, but you get too
>winded.
>
>Marty

Actually, if you can get it and play PAL videos, I think the current
UK widescreen VHS is from the CinemaScope version

Don

ahollis577

And there certainly is a difference between the two versions. All you have
to do is compare the Kansas City number and see that the staging was
different for each version.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is there an easy
> way of getting both the Todd-AO and CinemaScope versions of OKLAHOMA!
> on home video? Years ago, I passed up a chance to buy a laserdisc of
> the Todd-AO version and I've been quietly kicking myself ever since.
> (Which version is the latest DVD release?)

Charles Eggen

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:10:49 +0000, Don Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:29:58 GMT, Martin Hart
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but is there an easy
>>> way of getting both the Todd-AO and CinemaScope versions of OKLAHOMA!
>>> on home video? Years ago, I passed up a chance to buy a laserdisc of
>>> the Todd-AO version and I've been quietly kicking myself ever since.
>>> (Which version is the latest DVD release?)

>>Everything currently available is from the Todd-AO production. The DVD
>>is of very mediocre quality, being a single sided disc that is neither
>>dual layer nor anamorphic. The first LDs were from the CinemaScope
>>version, later followed by the Todd-AO. You might check eBay once or
>>twice a week and you may be able to find the old CinemaScope LD sooner
>>or later. It may not be the easiest way of getting it, but you get too
>>winded.
>>
>>Marty

>Actually, if you can get it and play PAL videos, I think the current
>UK widescreen VHS is from the CinemaScope version
>
>Don

Of course I could be wrong, but I believe both the Laserdisc and the
DVD is the 2.20:1 35mm cinemascope version. To the best of my
knowledge, there has never been a laserdisc or dvd that contained the
2.55:1 Todd-AO version. Additionally, so far, the only 2.55:1 DVD
Rogers & Hammerstein musicals are Carousel and The King and I.

Charles
nzvideos.org

Warchild

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Charles Eggen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:10:49 +0000, Don Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:29:58 GMT, Martin Hart
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> >>(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >>
> >>Everything currently available is from the Todd-AO production. The DVD
> >>is of very mediocre quality, being a single sided disc that is neither
> >>dual layer nor anamorphic. The first LDs were from the CinemaScope
> >>version, later followed by the Todd-AO. You might check eBay once or
> >>twice a week and you may be able to find the old CinemaScope LD sooner
> >>or later. It may not be the easiest way of getting it, but you get too
> >>winded.
> >>
> >>Marty

> >Actually, if you can get it and play PAL videos, I think the current
> >UK widescreen VHS is from the CinemaScope version
> >
> >Don

> Of course I could be wrong, but I believe both the Laserdisc and the
> DVD is the 2.20:1 35mm cinemascope version. To the best of my
> knowledge, there has never been a laserdisc or dvd that contained the
> 2.55:1 Todd-AO version. Additionally, so far, the only 2.55:1 DVD
> Rogers & Hammerstein musicals are Carousel and The King and I.
>
> Charles
> nzvideos.org

I believe that the last US laserdisc release, which I own, was the Todd
AO version. It also included a documentary about the production and
showed the differences between the two films. I might be wrong though,
and will have to dig out my laserdisc to confirm.

I realize that this is wishy-washy, but a big point was made of the
version of the film at the time the disc was released.

P Pron

Warchild wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Charles Eggen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:10:49 +0000, Don Carter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Actually, if you can get it and play PAL videos, I think the current
>>> UK widescreen VHS is from the CinemaScope version
>>>
>>> Don

>> Of course I could be wrong, but I believe both the Laserdisc and the
>> DVD is the 2.20:1 35mm cinemascope version. To the best of my
>> knowledge, there has never been a laserdisc or dvd that contained the
>> 2.55:1 Todd-AO version. Additionally, so far, the only 2.55:1 DVD
>> Rogers & Hammerstein musicals are Carousel and The King and I.
>>
>> Charles
>> nzvideos.org

> I believe that the last US laserdisc release, which I own, was the
> Todd AO version. It also included a documentary about the production
> and showed the differences between the two films. I might be wrong
> though, and will have to dig out my laserdisc to confirm.
>
> I realize that this is wishy-washy, but a big point was made of the
> version of the film at the time the disc was released.

Yes - the original laserdisc issue was produced from the CinemaScope master.
The final issue was produced from the restored Todd AO version, and was an
enormous step-up from the previous issue. I've seen a lengthy article
describing the differences between the two versions, but can't now find a
link to it.....

AFAIR, the surviving 'scope elements are too far gone to restore to a decent
standard.

paul

lcinerama@cox.net

P Pron wrote:
> Warchild wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Charles Eggen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<(E-Mail Removed). com>,

versions

The

is

way

current

> >> Of course I could be wrong, but I believe both the Laserdisc and

the
> >> DVD is the 2.20:1 35mm cinemascope version. To the best of my
> >> knowledge, there has never been a laserdisc or dvd that contained

the
> >> 2.55:1 Todd-AO version. Additionally, so far, the only 2.55:1 DVD
> >> Rogers & Hammerstein musicals are Carousel and The King and I.
> >>
> >> Charles
> >> nzvideos.org

> > I believe that the last US laserdisc release, which I own, was the
> > Todd AO version. It also included a documentary about the

production
> > and showed the differences between the two films. I might be

wrong
> > though, and will have to dig out my laserdisc to confirm.
> >
> > I realize that this is wishy-washy, but a big point was made of the
> > version of the film at the time the disc was released.

> Yes - the original laserdisc issue was produced from the CinemaScope

master.
> The final issue was produced from the restored Todd AO version, and

was an
> enormous step-up from the previous issue. I've seen a lengthy article

> describing the differences between the two versions, but can't now

find a
> link to it.....
>
> AFAIR, the surviving 'scope elements are too far gone to restore to a

decent
> standard.
>
> paul

lcinerama@cox.net

Several years ago American Movie Classics (before they went down the
tubes and started showing commericals during the feature) presented
Oklahoma in the Cinemascope and ToddAO versions back to back. I
recorded both and compared them side by side. There are certainly
differences. Unfortunately when I moved recently I apparently
misplaced both copies.

Paul Linfesty

> Of course I could be wrong, but I believe both the Laserdisc and the
> DVD is the 2.20:1 35mm cinemascope version. To the best of my
> knowledge, there has never been a laserdisc or dvd that contained the
> 2.55:1 Todd-AO version. Additionally, so far, the only 2.55:1 DVD
> Rogers & Hammerstein musicals are Carousel and The King and I.

Yes, you're wrong. The last LD and only DVD is the 2.2:1 70mm Todd-AO
version. The first (or second to last) LD was from the 35mm Cinemascope
2.55 version (or was it a mag-optic 2.35 release?) Anyway, Todd-AO was
never 2.55.