Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: TV Antennas, strictly line-of-sight?

OT: TV Antennas, strictly line-of-sight?

(Pete Cresswell)

Rabbit ears aren't doing the job anymore and I'd like to get a rooftop antenna
installed.

My daughter had one put on and the guy walked around on the roof with some sort
of meter, selecting what he said was the best location.

Went down to the local Radio Shack, and they took issue with that story - saying
that location on the roof should be irrelevant as long as there is line-of-sight
to the transmission towers.

After a number of years fooling around with rabbit ears, I know for sure that
the location of those antennae definately matters: good signal in one place,
poor signal five feet away.

So what's the real answere for rooftop antennas: Just fasten it to the nearest
chimney, or use some device to select the best spot?
--
PeteCresswell

napalm68

They would be measuring signal strength.

If you are in line of sight to the towers, anywhere should be fine. If not,
hunting around for the best signal strength is a good enough idea. Also,
look at your neighbours. If you see a pattern as to where they are located
on their houses, a good idea to maybe follow suit. I've installed about 6
antennas at various places I've lived at in my life with good results, and
never had a signal meter. The TV is a good signal meter
Good quality cabling (like quad coax and crimp rj connectors) help too.

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rabbit ears aren't doing the job anymore and I'd like to get a rooftop
> antenna
> installed.
>
> My daughter had one put on and the guy walked around on the roof with some
> sort
> of meter, selecting what he said was the best location.
>
> Went down to the local Radio Shack, and they took issue with that story -
> saying
> that location on the roof should be irrelevant as long as there is
> line-of-sight
> to the transmission towers.
>
> After a number of years fooling around with rabbit ears, I know for sure
> that
> the location of those antennae definately matters: good signal in one
> place,
> poor signal five feet away.
>
> So what's the real answere for rooftop antennas: Just fasten it to the
> nearest
> chimney, or use some device to select the best spot?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Tony soprano

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rabbit ears aren't doing the job anymore and I'd like to get a rooftop

antenna
> installed.
>
> My daughter had one put on and the guy walked around on the roof with some

sort
> of meter, selecting what he said was the best location.
>
> Went down to the local Radio Shack, and they took issue with that story -

saying
> that location on the roof should be irrelevant as long as there is

line-of-sight
> to the transmission towers.
>
> After a number of years fooling around with rabbit ears, I know for sure

that
> the location of those antennae definately matters: good signal in one

place,
> poor signal five feet away.
>
> So what's the real answere for rooftop antennas: Just fasten it to the

nearest
> chimney, or use some device to select the best spot?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Have a rotor installed and you can rotate the antenna to get the best signal
from all stations in your area.

I had one installed to get my OTA HD signals and love it.

T.