Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: help picking a new recorder with a hard drive!

OT: help picking a new recorder with a hard drive!

MauiJNP

I am looking to trade my JVC vcr/dvd recorder in for a model with a hard
drive. I can't spend more than $600. I was going to head to Best Buy
tomorrow to look and trade in. Things I really want include:

-a hard drive that holds at least 20 hours in XP quality
-must use -R and -RW and Ram (I don't care about +R so it can have it or
not)
-easy to use
-being allowed to edit right on the recorder with frame by frame edit points
(no PC required)

things I might want:

-a dvd/vcr combo (or just a dvd recorder but with enough of the $600 left
over to buy a separate vcr)

thanks for any help!

JMH493@gmail.com

I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

MauiJNP

>I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
> is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
> selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
> light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
> the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
> videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
> reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
> other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
> the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

my JVC does not record copyrighted vhs tapes if I'd want to dub them to DVD.
I use a separate VHS to play them and run it through a video enhancer to
record to dvd. as for other videotapes, like blanks, I can reuse them over
and over and record them to dvd with no problems. is this what you can't
do?

ShadowRaptor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
> is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
> selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
> light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
> the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
> videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
> reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
> other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
> the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

My Panasonic DMR-HS2 has a built-in 40G drive - good for around 8 hours at
XP so I have to edit and offload to DVD-R a little more often. The Panny
does not include any Macro defeat circuitry. It does not add any of this
stuff to the DVD-R's it produces either.

It has been very reliable for the past year and a half.

Rob
Canada

Brian

>I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
>is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
>selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
>light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
>the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
>videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
>reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
>other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
>the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

I'll agree with that, the Pioneer DVD recorders are good value.
If you want a Pioneer DVD Recorder with a larger hard drive then
there's the Pioneer DVR-720 with a 160 gig hard drive. The features
are simular to the Pioneer DVR-520.

Regards Brian

MauiJNP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have a Pioneer dvr-510-hs and it has an 80GB harddrive attached. It
>>is really good. Editing options are a breeze, you have a few nice menu
>>selections when making a dvd, better than panasonics plain generic
>>light blue menu. uses dvd-r, +, ram and rw.
>>the ONLY thing that sucks is that when you record one of your
>>videotapes it puts like a "macrovision" on the dvd you made. you can't
>>reproduce it with a standard program like "dvdx copy" but you can use
>>other methods. i'm not sure if all standalone burners put protection on
>>the dvd's they make. does your jvc do this??

> I'll agree with that, the Pioneer DVD recorders are good value.
> If you want a Pioneer DVD Recorder with a larger hard drive then
> there's the Pioneer DVR-720 with a 160 gig hard drive. The features
> are simular to the Pioneer DVR-520.
>
> Regards Brian

does the Pioneer DVR-720 have the same macrovision problem. I don't like
the sound of that.

FredBillie

<< From: "MauiJNP" (E-Mail Removed)
Date: Fri, Jan 14, 2005 3:57 PM

I am looking to trade my JVC vcr/dvd recorder in for a model with a hard
drive. I can't spend more than $600. I was going to head to Best Buy
tomorrow to look and trade in. Things I really want include:

-a hard drive that holds at least 20 hours in XP quality
-must use -R and -RW and Ram (I don't care about +R so it can have it or
not)
-easy to use
-being allowed to edit right on the recorder with frame by frame edit points
(no PC required)

things I might want:

-a dvd/vcr combo (or just a dvd recorder but with enough of the $600 left
over to buy a separate vcr)

thanks for any help!
>><BR><BR>

Best Buy reduced their $600 Panasonic VDV Recorder by $100. I think the price
is good through Saturday (today). It has a 120 GIG drive and uses DVD-R and
DVD-Ram. Doesn’t use DVD-RW but not sure that should be problem with a 120
GIG drive. If you are wanting RW to loan out temporarily and then get back and
reuse, the DVD-R Disks are so cheap now you can about give them away.

I believe a 120 GIG drive will give you about 24-25 hours in XP mode. I rarely
use it on my Panasonic since the 2 hour mode produces great results. Also,
although my Panasonic uses Ram disks in addition to the DVD-R disks I have felt
absolutely no need to use Ram disks with the availability of the Hard Drive.
Maybe this is more important for in PC editing.

Frame by Frame editing is available in the Panasonic and is easy to do.

Steve10

Take a look at the Toshiba RD-XS32 (80 gig hard drive) or the RD-XS52
(120 gig hard drive). I think they meet most of your requirements
except no dual VHS capability. I got my XS32 from Amazon for $370.

-Steve

MauiJNP wrote:
> I am looking to trade my JVC vcr/dvd recorder in for a model with a

hard
> drive. I can't spend more than $600. I was going to head to Best

Buy
> tomorrow to look and trade in. Things I really want include:
>
> -a hard drive that holds at least 20 hours in XP quality
> -must use -R and -RW and Ram (I don't care about +R so it can have it

or
> not)
> -easy to use
> -being allowed to edit right on the recorder with frame by frame edit

points
> (no PC required)
>
> things I might want:
>
> -a dvd/vcr combo (or just a dvd recorder but with enough of the $600

left
> over to buy a separate vcr)
>
> thanks for any help!

David E. Bath

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Steve10" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Take a look at the Toshiba RD-XS32 (80 gig hard drive) or the RD-XS52
> (120 gig hard drive). I think they meet most of your requirements
> except no dual VHS capability. I got my XS32 from Amazon for $370.

Ditto, I love my XS32 and highly recommend it. It supports -R -RW and
RAM. Also has PVR functions too.