Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Difficulty level gauge for Microsoft Certification

Difficulty level gauge for Microsoft Certification

curious

I'm trying to gauge how tough it is get certified an MCSE
or MCSD as compared to MOS Master. I know this is a
relatively silly question for comparing an orange to apple
or peer but I'm just trying to gauge the difficulty level.

On a scale of 1 to 20, if MOS Master is at scale #2, what
scale would it be for:
MCSD ?
MCSE ?
MCSA ?
MCDBA ?

Thanks.

Rick

I would say MCSA was a 4 and MCSE is a 5. I am currently working on my last
3 MCSE test. The one that was the beast was 70-216, mostly because of the
massive ammount of content.
If you have network experience and a couple of PC's which you can use for a
lab you can work your way through it. The Microsoft self training guides
come with 180 day evail copy of the software which the are on.
I have 13 years in the industry with much hands on experience. I have been
using the Mike Myers Passports books to study and take an exam about every
two weeks. I think if you are newer to this stuff you could take an exam
every one to two months.

--
Rick
CompTIA: A+, Network + Server+, Microsoft: MCP, MCSA

Marko

If you have been using Word for a long time, brushing up
on the skills to pass the MOS Expert Word exam may only
take a weekend.

On the other hand, I would suggest passing the Windows
2000 Professional exam 70-210 or the Server exam 70-215
for an experienced Windows Tech after just one weekend of
study was a very big ask. The other exams are even more
difficult by comparison; mostly requiring around 50-200
hours of study, depending on your exisitng skill set and
ability to grasp new technology concepts.

My opinion; all of the MOS exams are a breeze by
comparison.

MCSD and MCDBA are probably going to be the more difficult
certs for someone with no experience with those specific
topics.

Brendon Rogers

I disagree - an experienced tech should easily be able to pass 210 or 215
after one weekend of study (I did them both after reading the MSPress
Enterprise Learning library for 3 to 4 hours per exam). If you work with the
product every day the only studying that should be required is to cover the
aspects of the subject which you don't implement in your work evironment
(e.g. VPN's) and to also to get an understanding of MS's "way" things are
supposed to work.

50 - 200 hours for the other exams??? For an experienced Windows tech? Nah.
Much quicker than that.

The key here is "experience", if you work with the products then studying is
more like revising.

Brendon

news:000b01c37f1c$f6da4f60$(E-Mail Removed)...