Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A question about 1080i, just a quicky.

A question about 1080i, just a quicky.

The Lonley one

A question about 1080i, just a quicky.

You know how a TV has progressive scan, can this be used when watching
TV to reduce the ficker, as i have read 1080i runs at 50htz.

Though i have read 50 to 75 selectable, or i could have gooten this
right, even if it was 75 i can still see the flicker on my monitor at
75, have to haveit at 85 atleast.

Distance from the Tv can this make the flicker less. I intend to watch
the Tv about 3 metres away, will this make it any better, the further
away the better ??

Thanks for any help.

/PS i hate 50htz TVS, or 60 or whatever pal is in Australia i can see
the flicker and HATE IT, but you have to live with it

LASERandDVDfan

>Though i have read 50 to 75 selectable, or i could have gooten this
>right, even if it was 75 i can still see the flicker on my monitor at
>75, have to haveit at 85 atleast.

Interlaced video with relatively low refresh may yield flickering not just
because of the video system used, but also what's used as a reference for the
refresh: your powerline frequency.

>Distance from the Tv can this make the flicker less. I intend to watch
>the Tv about 3 metres away, will this make it any better, the further
>away the better ??

Maybe, maybe not. The flickering will still be there, but it might be less
annoying. Besides, if you have a large screen, you should not sit very close
to the display anyways.

>/PS i hate 50htz TVS, or 60 or whatever pal is in Australia i can see
>the flicker and HATE IT, but you have to live with it

PAL is 50Hz, but 1080i is HDTV, which has nothing to do with PAL. But that
still may not change the fact that your set may run at 50Hz refresh because of
your powerline frequency.

That is one benefit with NTSC or running a set with 60Hz line frequency. With
the fact that the refresh is 10 cycles faster, the flicker isn't quite as
annoying.

Now what's better is SVGA on your computer monitor, being capable of running
progressive at multiple refresh frequencies regardless of powerline frequency.
- Reinhart