Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Need software for remixing my VOBs

Need software for remixing my VOBs

Bob D.

What PC software would be good for mixing VOBs from various DVDr's (make on
my DVD recorder) to a single DVDr. I would like the menu to retain the
program names from the original discs. In other words, I would like to take
TV shows I've recorded on different discs, and make new discs with a
different program mix.

(The Roxio software that came with my burner looked like it would do what I
want, but it can't handle the Dolby AC3 sound.)

BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

--
Bob D.

P Pron

Bob D. wrote:
> What PC software would be good for mixing VOBs from various DVDr's
> (make on my DVD recorder) to a single DVDr. I would like the menu to
> retain the program names from the original discs. In other words, I
> would like to take TV shows I've recorded on different discs, and
> make new discs with a different program mix.
>
> (The Roxio software that came with my burner looked like it would do
> what I want, but it can't handle the Dolby AC3 sound.)
>
> BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2 discs,
using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see guide at
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg...ink31-main.htm

You'd lose the menus, though.

Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't do the
job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support AC3. But in
practice all this means is that I can't listen to the soundtrack while I'm
chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still there, though, and the authored
disc plays fine, complete with AC3 sound.

paul

Bob D.

I guess I didn't explain, what I want to do, very well. I don't need to
shrink anything. I'm just want to reorganize what I have recorded. I.E.- I
have epsodes of the Simpsons recorded among other shows on different discs.
(Each one is a VOB and the episodes are titled in the menu.) I'd like to
create new discs with all the Simpsons together (not necessarily all on the
same disc). I just want to copy VOBs from different discs to make a new
disc. I looked at "TMPGenc DVD Author" but it sounds like it can only merge
VOBs together, and doesn't have any menu capability.

--
Bob D.

"P Pron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob D. wrote:
>> What PC software would be good for mixing VOBs from various DVDr's
>> (make on my DVD recorder) to a single DVDr. I would like the menu to
>> retain the program names from the original discs. In other words, I
>> would like to take TV shows I've recorded on different discs, and
>> make new discs with a different program mix.
>>
>> (The Roxio software that came with my burner looked like it would do
>> what I want, but it can't handle the Dolby AC3 sound.)
>>
>> BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

> It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2 discs,
> using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see guide at
> http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg...ink31-main.htm
>
> You'd lose the menus, though.
>
> Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't do the
> job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support AC3. But in
> practice all this means is that I can't listen to the soundtrack while I'm
> chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still there, though, and the
> authored disc plays fine, complete with AC3 sound.
>
> paul

P Pron

Bob D. wrote:
> "P Pron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bob D. wrote:
>>> What PC software would be good for mixing VOBs from various DVDr's
>>> (make on my DVD recorder) to a single DVDr. I would like the menu to
>>> retain the program names from the original discs. In other words, I
>>> would like to take TV shows I've recorded on different discs, and
>>> make new discs with a different program mix.
>>>
>>> (The Roxio software that came with my burner looked like it would do
>>> what I want, but it can't handle the Dolby AC3 sound.)
>>>
>>> BTW, the DVDr is a Panasonic DMR-E80H. My PC has a DVD burner.

>> It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2
>> discs, using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see
>> guide at http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg...ink31-main.htm
>>
>> You'd lose the menus, though.
>>
>> Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't
>> do the job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support
>> AC3. But in practice all this means is that I can't listen to the
>> soundtrack while I'm chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still
>> there, though, and the authored disc plays fine, complete with AC3
>> sound. paul

> I guess I didn't explain, what I want to do, very well. I don't need
> to shrink anything. I'm just want to reorganize what I have recorded.
> I.E.- I have epsodes of the Simpsons recorded among other shows on
> different discs. (Each one is a VOB and the episodes are titled in
> the menu.) I'd like to create new discs with all the Simpsons
> together (not necessarily all on the same disc). I just want to copy
> VOBs from different discs to make a new disc. I looked at "TMPGenc
> DVD Author" but it sounds like it can only merge VOBs together, and
> doesn't have any menu capability.

You don't have to shrink with DVDShrink - you can use it to reauthor discs
without further compression, selecting the titles you want from each disc.
But (as you will have seen after reading the guide I posted the link to) you
need to copy all but one of the discs to your HD in order to achieve this.

And TMPGenc DVD Author certainly _does_ produce menus, by default. I know,
because I don't use menus on home-burned discs, and therefore have to
specifically select "no menu" every time I use the program. If you know of a
version of TMPGenc DVD Author that doesn't do menus, I'd like to know where
to get it.

But now that you've explained that each episode is a separate VOB, you
should be able to simply rename them with an MPG suffix (after copying to
your HD), choose which files you want, then author them as a DVD using
your usual software.

But I can't think of any way of doing what you have in mind while keeping
the original menus.

paul

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:43:44 -0000, "P Pron"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob D. wrote:
>> "P Pron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> It's quite a laborious process (I've never done it with more than 2
>>> discs, using this method) but it can be done with DVDShrink - see
>>> guide at http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg...ink31-main.htm
>>>
>>> You'd lose the menus, though.
>>>
>>> Have you confirmed that your existing software _definitely_ doesn't
>>> do the job? I use TMPGenc DVD Author, which also doesn't support
>>> AC3. But in practice all this means is that I can't listen to the
>>> soundtrack while I'm chaptering the DVD - the soundtrack is still
>>> there, though, and the authored disc plays fine, complete with AC3
>>> sound. paul

>> I guess I didn't explain, what I want to do, very well. I don't need
>> to shrink anything. I'm just want to reorganize what I have recorded.
>> I.E.- I have epsodes of the Simpsons recorded among other shows on
>> different discs. (Each one is a VOB and the episodes are titled in
>> the menu.) I'd like to create new discs with all the Simpsons
>> together (not necessarily all on the same disc). I just want to copy
>> VOBs from different discs to make a new disc. I looked at "TMPGenc
>> DVD Author" but it sounds like it can only merge VOBs together, and
>> doesn't have any menu capability.
>>

>You don't have to shrink with DVDShrink - you can use it to reauthor discs
>without further compression, selecting the titles you want from each disc.
>But (as you will have seen after reading the guide I posted the link to) you
>need to copy all but one of the discs to your HD in order to achieve this.
>
>And TMPGenc DVD Author certainly _does_ produce menus, by default. I know,
>because I don't use menus on home-burned discs, and therefore have to
>specifically select "no menu" every time I use the program. If you know of a
>version of TMPGenc DVD Author that doesn't do menus, I'd like to know where
>to get it.
>
>But now that you've explained that each episode is a separate VOB, you
>should be able to simply rename them with an MPG suffix (after copying to
>your HD), choose which files you want, then author them as a DVD using
>your usual software.
>
>But I can't think of any way of doing what you have in mind while keeping
>the original menus.
>
>paul

The easiest way by far is DVDlab. It will take Vobs directly as the
mpeg source and these can be put on the movie timelines, - and after
authoring, adding menus, an easy matter in itself, DVDlab will create
a new DVD without rerendering, just a 10 minute compile. As a plus
DVDlab handles SVCD and creates a DVD480 DVD using the D1 project
parameters. Again without rerendering. This will play properly on over
90% of players.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

... Steve ..