Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Benefit of a DVD recorder versus a burner??

Benefit of a DVD recorder versus a burner??

RichA

Seems like a computer-based unit offers greater flexibility for
different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
Correct?
-Rich

P Pron

RichA wrote:
> Seems like a computer-based unit offers greater flexibility for
> different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
> Correct?
> -Rich

Not clear whether you're talking in terms of different disc types or
different recording formats, but you're probably right, although I'm happy
to go with the options offered by my standalone DVD/HD recorder - which
didn't cost more than a computer.

I do use a computer for some video editing, and you might like to bear in
mind that video is very resources-intensive. If I'm trying to do something
else on the computer while it's doing a video-related task I find the
computer can be slowed down to a crawl. If I didn't have the standalone to
do most of the video stuff, I think I'd have go for two computers - one for
video and one for real life....

paul

Gary MacKenzie

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:22:17 -0500, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Seems like a computer-based unit offers greater flexibility for
>different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
>Correct?
>-Rich

depends what you want to do.
menus are easier to make 'pretty' with a computer , but , my panasonic
e55 makes decent simple menu pages on dvd-r and dvd-ram.

1,2,4,6,8 hours or anything in between in time as choice of recording
level , all vbr encoding done with hardware.

i use pc for stuff that requires editing and standalone to record
no-editing-required stuff.

for editing , i capture to dvd-ram with standalone , edit on pc with
panasonics dvd movie album software , and write finished file out to
dvd-r

Larry Gold

yes
but

A standalone with a built in h/d can be used like a video
I went to OZ for 5 weeks, and recorded 72 programmes
now could I have done that with a computer burner?

--
Larry.gold
Arsenal For Life

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seems like a computer-based unit offers greater flexibility for
> different formats, versus a more expensive, stand alone recorder?
> Correct?
> -Rich

Justin

Larry Gold wrote on [Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:56:35 GMT]:
> yes
> but
>
> A standalone with a built in h/d can be used like a video
> I went to OZ for 5 weeks, and recorded 72 programmes
> now could I have done that with a computer burner?

Use something like a TV tuner in conjunction with a scheduling program?