Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > dvd-ram disc, what to do with it?

dvd-ram disc, what to do with it?

MauiJNP

I found a dvd-ram disc in my computer drawer, it came with my dvd burner.
since my dvd recorder is capable of burning to this type of disc, it there
any advantage to using this over dvd-rw for recording tv shows and/or
movies? does it allow for better quality? easier to copy to dvd-rs at a
later point? I know its supposed to be able to be used 100,000 times as
opposed to 10,000 or something like that, but is there more to it than this?
thanks.

Alan Pollock

In rec.video.dvd.tech MauiJNP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I found a dvd-ram disc in my computer drawer, it came with my dvd burner.
> since my dvd recorder is capable of burning to this type of disc, it there
> any advantage to using this over dvd-rw for recording tv shows and/or
> movies? does it allow for better quality? easier to copy to dvd-rs at a
> later point? I know its supposed to be able to be used 100,000 times as
> opposed to 10,000 or something like that, but is there more to it than this?
> thanks.

You can format it with fat32 to use like a small removeable hard disk. More
secure and versatile than packet-writing schemes when used that way. I keep
compressed C: partition images on -rams formatted in fat32 for 2 or 3 months
before replacing with new image archives. I also use fat32 -rams to move files
between machines in different locations.

Used for video and vr movies (in udf format on the standalones), they're
pretty-much the same as -rw discs. I've used both and trust the -rams more,
but that's just me. Nex

MauiJNP

> Used for video and vr movies (in udf format on the standalones), they're
> pretty-much the same as -rw discs. I've used both and trust the -rams
> more,
> but that's just me. Nex

thanks, I think I will give it a try in the standalone for a movie or
something off tv.