Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Soon - WTF?

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD Soon - WTF?

 
 
Dave Garrett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.

Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
expected to be unobtainable.

Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
time soon. Strike one.

Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
refund to be issued.

I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
emptor.

Dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0600, Dave Garrett <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
>offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
>reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
>retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
>give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.
>
>Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
>decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
>Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
>expected to be unobtainable.
>
>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
>time soon. Strike one.
>
>Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
>to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
>credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
>refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
>refund to be issued.
>
>I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
>unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
>and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
>to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
>refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
>practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
>DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
>emptor.
>
>Dave


They say right up front that the credit card is billed at the time of
the order, it's nothing to do with whether an item is in stock.
http://www.dvdsoon.com/terms-of-use.xml#purchasing If an order is
cancelled the credit can be applied to something else. Yes, the first
order I ever placed with them was for "Barbary Coast" which was listed
as in stock then "On Order" shortly after I placed the order. I wrote
an Email when I found out that it was truly unavailable and they
replied they didn't realize that. I continued to place many orders
with them with complete satisfaction though I have to say that since
January 2004 their service and speed has gone downhill.

RTFM, DVDsoon states its policy, if you were "suckered" it's because
you don't know how to read.

... Steve .

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Maureen Goldman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
>Dave Garrett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
>time soon. Strike one.


DVDSoon always bills your card when the order is placed. This is
clearly stated.

I've had good experiences dealing with them, and will continue to do
so. Well... when they restore free shipping, that is.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005

"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0600, Dave Garrett <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
>>offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
>>reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
>>retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
>>give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.
>>
>>Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
>>decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
>>Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
>>expected to be unobtainable.
>>
>>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
>>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
>>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
>>time soon. Strike one.
>>
>>Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
>>to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
>>credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
>>refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
>>refund to be issued.
>>
>>I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
>>unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
>>and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
>>to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
>>refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
>>practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
>>DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
>>emptor.
>>
>>Dave

>
> They say right up front that the credit card is billed at the time of
> the order, it's nothing to do with whether an item is in stock.
> http://www.dvdsoon.com/terms-of-use.xml#purchasing If an order is
> cancelled the credit can be applied to something else. Yes, the first
> order I ever placed with them was for "Barbary Coast" which was listed
> as in stock then "On Order" shortly after I placed the order. I wrote
> an Email when I found out that it was truly unavailable and they
> replied they didn't realize that. I continued to place many orders
> with them with complete satisfaction though I have to say that since
> January 2004 their service and speed has gone downhill.
>
> RTFM, DVDsoon states its policy, if you were "suckered" it's because
> you don't know how to read.



The policy may be stated, but is a very poor policy. Now that I'm aware of
it, I'll never shop there. So thanks to the OP for informing us of this
policy.


Dan


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve(JazzHunter)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:11:59 GMT, "Dan P."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0600, Dave Garrett <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
>>>offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
>>>reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
>>>retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
>>>give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.
>>>
>>>Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
>>>decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
>>>Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
>>>expected to be unobtainable.
>>>
>>>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
>>>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
>>>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
>>>time soon. Strike one.
>>>
>>>Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
>>>to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
>>>credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
>>>refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
>>>refund to be issued.
>>>
>>>I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
>>>unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
>>>and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
>>>to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
>>>refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
>>>practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
>>>DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
>>>emptor.
>>>
>>>Dave

>>
>> They say right up front that the credit card is billed at the time of
>> the order, it's nothing to do with whether an item is in stock.
>> http://www.dvdsoon.com/terms-of-use.xml#purchasing If an order is
>> cancelled the credit can be applied to something else. Yes, the first
>> order I ever placed with them was for "Barbary Coast" which was listed
>> as in stock then "On Order" shortly after I placed the order. I wrote
>> an Email when I found out that it was truly unavailable and they
>> replied they didn't realize that. I continued to place many orders
>> with them with complete satisfaction though I have to say that since
>> January 2004 their service and speed has gone downhill.
>>
>> RTFM, DVDsoon states its policy, if you were "suckered" it's because
>> you don't know how to read.


>> Steve ..

>
>
>The policy may be stated, but is a very poor policy. Now that I'm aware of
>it, I'll never shop there. So thanks to the OP for informing us of this
>policy.
>
>
> Dan


My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
a good relationship with suppliers.

You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
has to also find its own savings.


... Steve ..
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stan Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
"Dave Garrett" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
>time soon. Strike one.


I had a similar experience with DVD Soon.

>Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
>to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
>credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
>refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
>refund to be issued.


That's a new one since my experience -- they were slow about
crediting the card but they did d it just on an e-mail from me.

>I'll never place another order with DVD Soon.


Ditto.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"Don't move, or I'll fill you full of [... pause ...] little
yellow bolts of light." -- Farscape, first episode
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Garrett
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
> response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
> business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
> small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
> the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
> and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
> prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
> a good relationship with suppliers.
>
> You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
> has to also find its own savings.


Well, I was pretty peeved myself when I posted that, but your original
point is taken, as I indeed failed to read all of the terms of sale
before placing my order. It wasn't primarily the order prepayment
(which, to be fair, occurs with other merchants as well) that irritated
me - most of the time, it shouldn't be an issue if the items you're
ordering are in stock. Defaulting to store credit instead of a refund
unless a refund is explicitly requested, though, and then stipulating a
three-week period before the refund is issued, however, is more than a
little sleazy in my book. It's possible that in practice refunds are
issued much quicker than that, so I'll wait to see what happens, but if
they're having to rely on the interest from a 21-day float to generate
revenue, their business model has some problems.

But, as I said in the earlier DDD thread, everyone's got their own
threshold for what they are willing to accept in order to get a bigger
discount, and the combination of prepayment with their refund policy is
way past my own threshold. YMM (and obviously does) V.

Dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
Apparently, getting the cheapest dvds they can find makes some people's
tolerance infinite. I say if they want the cheapest prices, they can deal
with the headaches, dont make it everyone elses by bitching a fit every time
one of their orders doesnt go flawlessly

"Dave Garrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c467c27d75593ef989f1a@207.14.113.17...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
> > response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
> > business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
> > small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
> > the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
> > and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
> > prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
> > a good relationship with suppliers.
> >
> > You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
> > has to also find its own savings.

>
> Well, I was pretty peeved myself when I posted that, but your original
> point is taken, as I indeed failed to read all of the terms of sale
> before placing my order. It wasn't primarily the order prepayment
> (which, to be fair, occurs with other merchants as well) that irritated
> me - most of the time, it shouldn't be an issue if the items you're
> ordering are in stock. Defaulting to store credit instead of a refund
> unless a refund is explicitly requested, though, and then stipulating a
> three-week period before the refund is issued, however, is more than a
> little sleazy in my book. It's possible that in practice refunds are
> issued much quicker than that, so I'll wait to see what happens, but if
> they're having to rely on the interest from a 21-day float to generate
> revenue, their business model has some problems.
>
> But, as I said in the earlier DDD thread, everyone's got their own
> threshold for what they are willing to accept in order to get a bigger
> discount, and the combination of prepayment with their refund policy is
> way past my own threshold. YMM (and obviously does) V.
>
> Dave
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
Dave Garrett wrote on [Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:36:00 -0600]:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
>> response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
>> business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
>> small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
>> the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
>> and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
>> prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
>> a good relationship with suppliers.
>>
>> You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
>> has to also find its own savings.

>
> Well, I was pretty peeved myself when I posted that, but your original
> point is taken, as I indeed failed to read all of the terms of sale
> before placing my order. It wasn't primarily the order prepayment
> (which, to be fair, occurs with other merchants as well) that irritated


Not that many though. Most only do an AUTH and then charge when they
send. Which is actually the law in some places.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2005
Biz wrote on [Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:44:58 GMT]:
> Apparently, getting the cheapest dvds they can find makes some people's
> tolerance infinite.


From looking at the DDDVD Thread and this one, I'd say it's far from
infinite!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD-R & DVD-RW & DVD+R & DVD+RW DVD-WTF Nozza Computer Support 5 12-02-2004 10:06 PM
What I would LOVE to see on dvd really soon... Adrian DVD Video 0 08-30-2004 09:50 PM
FS/FA: Ending Soon Tarzan & Cocoon DVD's Jason South DVD Video 0 06-26-2004 06:43 PM
DVD Soon Juan C. Rodriguez DVD Video 7 03-05-2004 04:54 PM
DVD Soon And Free Shipping Or IS It? Dragon DVD Video 1 01-31-2004 07:36 PM



Advertisments