Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD "Erase"

DVD "Erase"

E. Barry Bruyea

I'm using Roxio 6 and I'm wondering why when you go to erase a DVD-RW,
that the only choice is 'Quick Erase'. Is there a particular reason
why 'Full Erase' is not available? Do other programs do the same
thing?

Paul

E. Barry Bruyea <it'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm using Roxio 6 and I'm wondering why when you go to erase a DVD-RW,
> that the only choice is 'Quick Erase'. Is there a particular reason
> why 'Full Erase' is not available? Do other programs do the same
> thing?

Just a guess but I believe it does give you that option when you first use
your re-writables. Full erase is like doing a low level format and the
quick erase just wipes out the map to the data which is all that's really
required once it's been formatted.

- Paul

E. Barry Bruyea

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:56:25 GMT, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>E. Barry Bruyea <it'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm using Roxio 6 and I'm wondering why when you go to erase a DVD-RW,
>> that the only choice is 'Quick Erase'. Is there a particular reason
>> why 'Full Erase' is not available? Do other programs do the same
>> thing?

>Just a guess but I believe it does give you that option when you first use
>your re-writables. Full erase is like doing a low level format and the
>quick erase just wipes out the map to the data which is all that's really
>required once it's been formatted.
>
> - Paul

With CD's, both options are available; Why would DVD's be different?

Paul

E. Barry Bruyea <it'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:56:25 GMT, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>E. Barry Bruyea <it'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I'm using Roxio 6 and I'm wondering why when you go to erase a DVD-RW,
>>> that the only choice is 'Quick Erase'. Is there a particular reason
>>> why 'Full Erase' is not available? Do other programs do the same
>>> thing?

>>Just a guess but I believe it does give you that option when you first use
>>your re-writables. Full erase is like doing a low level format and the
>>quick erase just wipes out the map to the data which is all that's really
>>required once it's been formatted.
>>
>> - Paul

> With CD's, both options are available; Why would DVD's be different?

Again, just a guess but a full format of a DVD re-wriable can take a LONG
time and once you start, there's no backing out of it. My hardware is
rated slow for DVD-RWs and I remember something like 20-30 minutes for a
full format vs. a quick format being 2 minutes. Much more extreme than
with a CD.

- Paul