Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > dvd burner purchase... help!!

dvd burner purchase... help!!

Reid1boys

What kinds of things should I be looking for in purchasing a dvd burner??
External vs internal, speeds etc...

External or internal makes no difference to me.

I am seeing all sorts of burners on ebay for around 80 bucks but I really dont
have a clue what Im looking at.

Thanks,

Texas Tech Geek

Hi there! I love the "Pioneer DVR-108 16X Double Layer DVD Burner".
This is the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of the
Pioneer DVR-A08 drive.
OEM versions are the same hardware, but come come in a plain box,
usually without bundled software and sell at a great discount to retail
versions. @ $78 it is the latest drive at a bargain price. Directron is
a reliable company that I have done business with for years here in
Houston. Double layer means that it can read and write DVD discs that
have two storage layers (double capacity). The drive is fast, handles
DVD+rw or DVD-rw disks ( the 2 main standards ). It doesn't handle DVD
RAM disks, which are seldom used, except by some DVD video camcorders
or corporate IT departments. If by chance you needed DVD RAM support,
Samsung makes "Super-Multi Format" drives that do all 3. The DVR-108
has been perfect for all uses (CD,DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, etc..). I've
had it for @ 3 months. As far as internal vs. external, external is
more expensive, but you can move it between computers... say office and
home for example.

As for speeds, the latest drives support faster speeds than the discs
currently available on the market. So, buying the fastest burner now
will insure good use for several years until the next generation of
storage comes along, perhaps "BLU-RAY" disc, or something else of much
greater capacity.

Check it out at : http://www.directron.com/dvr108.html

See manufacturer site at :
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...666603,00.html

Good Luck! Feel free to ask me any more questions....