Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT: Debit Card Fraud

OT: Debit Card Fraud

Dragon

Hi just some advise please

I have just checked my bank statement online and noticed a payment from
Cardiff City FC for the sum of 191.35 pence which I haven't got the foggiest
what it is, I cant ring the main bank card line till in the morning has
anyone else come across this and if so what can I do about it

I only use the likes of dvd soon and dvd pacific amazon and play.com to
order online and I haven't had trouble before with them, any one else had
this, I wouldn't mind I am an Everton fan, and know one else has access to
my debit card

help

Dave

Colin Wilson

> I wouldn't mind I am an Everton fan

Obviously not a football supporter then

Most banks have a number for lost / stolen cards. Given that money has
apparently been stolen from your account, i`d be tempted to use the 24hr
emergency number they have.

--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---

FMT

If your card is a debit card that can be used like a MasterCard or Visa,
sometimes it's just that a wrong credit card number was entered. A few
months ago I noticed a charge for a small British airline (I live in the US
and haven't been to England for 10 years) had a charge on my debit card. My
bank took a few days to fix things, but it did get done. In fact, I knew
more than they did for awhile after a little research on the internet. The
most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card they
did it for .02 less than they charged - a small thing I know - but it was
just the principal of the thing and way too time consuming to protest
further!

Good luck.

Fran

--
A small piece of that fresh fish you're planning to grill will no doubt
secure for you untold blessings ...

Zen for Cats by Henry Beard

"Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7p0Cd.18565$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hi just some advise please
>
> I have just checked my bank statement online and noticed a payment from
> Cardiff City FC for the sum of 191.35 pence which I haven't got the
> foggiest what it is, I cant ring the main bank card line till in the
> morning has anyone else come across this and if so what can I do about it
>
> I only use the likes of dvd soon and dvd pacific amazon and play.com to
> order online and I haven't had trouble before with them, any one else had
> this, I wouldn't mind I am an Everton fan, and know one else has access to
> my debit card
>
> help
>
> Dave

(Pete Cresswell)

Per FMT:
>The
>most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card

Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody* would want
a debit card in their name when they can have a regular credit card and just pay
the bill every month.

What scares me about debit cards is that they're a directly line into the bank
account - whereas a credit card is essentially a firewall....and has a $50 fraud
exposure limit.

If somebody cleans out my bank account with a fraudulent debit card transaction,
the money's gone and it's on me to get it back. If somebody hits my credit
card with a fraudulent transaction the credit card company still doesn't have my
money and I have recourse...

Am I missing something?
--
PeteCresswell

FMT

Well, using a debit does tend to limit how much you can spend because it
instantly comes out of your account and if you have a problem with credit
cards (which a lot of people do) this is a way to keep it under control.
Having said that, I can now say that I dumped my debit card and just pay off
my credit card every month. I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that
more companies aren't asking for the code from the back of the card, which
would tell them that you actually have the card in hand.

Most banks will reverse a fraudulent (or mistake) transaction on a debit
card (or at least I've never heard of one that didn't), but the problem is
that your account is short until they do. This incident was actually the
second time I've had a problem. Once I ordered incredibly expensive cookware
and the company charged my debit card twice (different amounts - go
figure) - ouch!

Anyway, I agree with you and I'm cured!

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per FMT:
>>The
>>most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card

> Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody* would
> want
> a debit card in their name when they can have a regular credit card and
> just pay
> the bill every month.
>
> What scares me about debit cards is that they're a directly line into the
> bank
> account - whereas a credit card is essentially a firewall....and has a $50
> fraud
> exposure limit.
>
> If somebody cleans out my bank account with a fraudulent debit card
> transaction,
> the money's gone and it's on me to get it back. If somebody hits my
> credit
> card with a fraudulent transaction the credit card company still doesn't
> have my
> money and I have recourse...
>
> Am I missing something?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Mike Kohary

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per FMT:
>> The
>> most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my
>> card

> Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody*
> would want a debit card in their name when they can have a regular
> credit card and just pay the bill every month.
>
> What scares me about debit cards is that they're a directly line into
> the bank account - whereas a credit card is essentially a
> firewall....and has a $50 fraud exposure limit.
>
> If somebody cleans out my bank account with a fraudulent debit card
> transaction, the money's gone and it's on me to get it back. If
> somebody hits my credit card with a fraudulent transaction the credit
> card company still doesn't have my money and I have recourse...
>
> Am I missing something?

Because debit is debit, and credit is credit. They're two entirely
different things. No, I'm not being facetious. Really, I want to spend
money I physically have in my live checking account. I don't want to rack
up credit to owe later. It's too easy (for me) to spend beyond my means if
I use a credit card as you describe. I know this from past personal
experience, and I won't fall into that trap again. A debit card keeps me in
line.

YMMV, and each to his own.

Tumbleweed

"(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per FMT:
>>The
>>most annoying thing was that when the airline finally credited my card

> Am I missing something? Right now I can't figure out why *anybody* would
> want
> a debit card in their name when they can have a regular credit card and
> just pay
> the bill every month.

How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
bank with your cheque book)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Alpha

In Japan, both credit cards and debit cards are almost not used. People
pull out big wads of cash to buy everything, including 30,000 yen plane
tickets. Don't even try to use a western credit or debit, such as Cirrus.

> How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
> bank with your cheque book)

Justin Cole

"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
> bank with your cheque book)

What do you need cash for? Last time I bought a round of drinks it was on
my card

Justin.

Tumbleweed

"Justin Cole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dh8Cd.436$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How would you get cash without one ? (unless you are content to go to the
>> bank with your cheque book)

> What do you need cash for? Last time I bought a round of drinks it was on
> my card
>
> Justin.

Mine's a 6X