Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Question About DVDs- whether to buy widescreen vs full screen

Question About DVDs- whether to buy widescreen vs full screen

damnfine

"KOS" wrote:
> Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
> One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
> Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
> adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
>
> I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.

Widescreen.

--
/^\damnfine/^\
"Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"

KOS

Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.

I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
Thanks
KOS

fuzzy1

"KOS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
> One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
> Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
> adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
>
> I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
> Thanks
> KOS

Widescreen definitely widescreen

kaydigi

"KOS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
> One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
> Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
> adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
>
> I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
> Thanks
> KOS

Only Widescreen. Never fullscreen unless it's the Orginal Aspect Ratio.

Mike Kohary

KOS wrote:
> Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
> One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
> Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance?

Just your own, but widescreen is vastly preferred by most movie collectors.
Full screen movies tend to be cropped and missing a lot of picture
information on the sides.

Mark B.

"KOS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
> One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
> Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
> adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
>
> I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
> Thanks
> KOS

Widescreen. Pan & Scan movies chop the sides off to make the image "fit" a
4:3 TV. I'm perfectly happy watching widescreen on my 27" 4:3 set.

Mark

Tim923

Most DVD film enthusiasts prefer widescreen, since the full screen
version cuts off 25-45% of the movie.

Take a look at Grease's full screen vs. wide screen comparison.
http://www.geocities.com/obsessivetougafan/grease.html
I had no idea how much I was missing watching the HBO/VHS versions.
To be fair, the comparison should have probably shown the widescreen
version as the small size required to fit on the 4:3 TV, but it still
makes the point.

Tim923

The widescreen version is also a good investment for the future, when
16:9 TVs are expected to be cheaper and common.

MauiJNP

"Tim923" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most DVD film enthusiasts prefer widescreen, since the full screen
> version cuts off 25-45% of the movie.
>
> Take a look at Grease's full screen vs. wide screen comparison.
> http://www.geocities.com/obsessivetougafan/grease.html
> I had no idea how much I was missing watching the HBO/VHS versions.
> To be fair, the comparison should have probably shown the widescreen
> version as the small size required to fit on the 4:3 TV, but it still
> makes the point.

this is what I don't get....

when I play a dvd with both versions on it, it looks the same in both modes.
none of the picture is cut off. I try time and time again to notice a
difference but I never do.

Dick Sidbury

KOS wrote:
> Hi, pretty new to DVDs.
> One question. I am planning on buying a DVD- it is released in both
> Widescreen and full screen. Is there any preferance? I know that I can
> adjust my DVD to different screen sizes.
>
> I do not have a widescreen tv. just want to know what is better to own.
> Thanks
> KOS

choose what you want. I prefer widescreen because since "standard" TVs
are shaped differently from "standard" movies, the choice is to either
have a smaller picture with black bars that contain all the frame or a
larger picture with parts of the frame chopped off. Most movie fans seem
to prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) which is how the movie was made
originally, typically widescreen for most movies since the early fifties
and full screen for most older movies and most TV shows.

dick