Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What is 3D Digital Noise Reduction?

What is 3D Digital Noise Reduction?

Brian

My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.

Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

Regards Brian

Mike Kohary

Brian wrote:
> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.
>
> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

It sounds like marketing gobbledegoop. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brian

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
>> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

>It sounds like marketing gobbledegoop. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's an adjustment on the DVD Recorder. That's why I'm keen to know
more about it.

Regards Brian

Will Dormann

Brian wrote:
> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.

3D noise reduction generally refers to noise reduction that operates
both spatially and temporally. That gives you your 3 dimensions.

--
-WD

Mike Kohary

Brian wrote:
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Brian wrote:
>>> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
>>> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

>> It sounds like marketing gobbledegoop. I wouldn't worry about it.

> It's an adjustment on the DVD Recorder. That's why I'm keen to know
> more about it.

Hm, experiment with the setting on its lowest and highest, then, and see
what difference it makes to the sound. I've never heard of it, so sorry not
to be of more help.

Darrel Christenson

Mike Kohary wrote:

> Hm, experiment with the setting on its lowest and highest, then, and see
> what difference it makes to the sound

It's for video, here's a link and some basic text...

http://www.digital-rapids.com/Products_DemoRoom.html

"Typical 3D noise reduction as used by most products compares images in sequence over a
predetermined period of time, blending the images between fields or frames. The simplified theory is
that by blending data over time you can reduce the overall noise content of the resulting image.
This is used in the film industry to remove film grain from blue or green screen shots. Successive
samples of the same blue or green screen scene are blended together which will effectively cancel
out the noise found in any individual frame. The problem with typical noise reduction algorithms is
that if there is any motion in the individual scene you will get a motion blur (trails) artifact in
the processed frame. One answer to this is to limit the blending process to a specific range of
frames or to restart the process every few frames. This is very visible in the noise reduction found
in the some software codecs. Every few frames it will reset and the noise will suddenly appear only
to disappear several frames later, then the process starts over again.

The DRC-Stream hardware uses a very advanced form of temporal noise processing called motion
adaptive 3D noise reduction. Motion adaptive 3D noise reduction combines the information in multiple
frames of video on a pixel by pixel basis to decide how much processing is applied to each pixel in
the final frame. Because each pixel is calculated individually the result will be more precise noise
reduction with less motion blurring artifacts than would otherwise be normally possible."

Darrel

One-Shot Scot

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the
> setting.
>
> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?
>
> Regards Brian

Is this a playback feature, or a recording feature, or both?

My Panasonic DVDS-55 player has this feature.

Here is what the manual says:

3D-NR (0 to i4)
"Reduces overall noise."

Video noise is the graininess that occurs when playing source material
which is less than perfect.

The basic effect is most noticeable on poorly mastered material, or
material which has a high compression ratio. Newer DVDs with
well-restored, well-mastered material recorded at low compression and
with high bit rates will benefit least from this feature.

If yours is a playback feature, you can check out the settings like
this:

Find a variety of disks which have scenes focusing on an actor in the
foreground while there is deep background information behind him or her.
The 3D-NR will only affect the very mild "raindrops on a window pane"
look of these background items. To further exaggerate the raindrop
effect, turn up the sharpness on your TV.

Some examples of good test scenes are the castle walls in _Elizabeth_
and interior office walls in _LA Confidential_. Also, old source
material such as the original Superman cartoons and the 1937 version of
_A Star is Born_ will benefit from the reduction in graininess. While
the disk is playing, switch the 3D-NR back and forth between OFF and the
other 3D-NR settings and you will see the grainy background images go
from rough to smooth and back again. Of course, when the sharpness
controls are reset to normal positions the effect will not be so
noticeable, but it will be visible.

John S. Dyson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.
>
> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

The 3D DNR is very helpful when converting from noisy (usually
analog) video sources into MPEG2. MPEG2 is the encoding method used
on DVDs, but is incapable of effectively
dealing with noisy video without introducing lots of artifacts (or
requiring more payload/taking more space on disk.) A
proper 3D DNR scheme can mitigate alot of the noise that MPEG2 really
hates to deal with.

If you provide a nice, relatively noise free signal to an MPEG2 encoder
you might be able to record more time onto a given disk (because the
MPEG2 encoder won't have to try to process the pseudo-random noise.)

John

GMAN

In article <cr7lfm$ehu$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Brian wrote:
>> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
>> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

>It sounds like marketing gobbledegoop. I wouldn't worry about it.

Its not gobbledygoop, its a gaussian noise reduction filter

luminos

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cr8gad$pcr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <cr7lfm$ehu$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>Brian wrote:
>>> My DVD Recorder offers 3D Digital Noise Reduction.
>>> There is no detail in the manual about this feature and the setting.
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me what this is and how I would use it?

>>It sounds like marketing gobbledegoop. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>

> Its not gobbledygoop, its a gaussian noise reduction filter

Ummmm Gaussian noise.....HA HA HA