Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > There is no rewind button on my DVD player!!

There is no rewind button on my DVD player!!

Terkel

Actually, that is not a problem, just a fact

For Christmas I got a new Phillips DVP642 player and it works fine, but
so what? I haven't seen a modern player that doesn't.

However, this one does not have Macrovision embedded. Took a while to
find out but I have been moving all my old satellite taped VCR stuff to
DVD and have had the problem that the ATI capture card embedded MV
detection will trigger if the tape is not almost perfect. (Thanks for the
crap hardware, ATI). I had the wrong button pushed on my video switcher
and realised that I was watching a new DVD through my PC. Took a while
for that to sink in then started doing some tests.

This player throws the Macrovision away. Any DVD will perfectly dump to a
VCR tape (don't know why you would want to do that) or through my capture
card to the PC.

A friend ran down and bought the same model. Still no MV.

Question. I thought that MV had to be built into a consumer player by
federal law. Right? If so, how did these get through the pipe.

Terk (but not 182)

Iconer

Terkel wrote:

> Question. I thought that MV had to be built into a consumer player by
> federal law. Right? If so, how did these get through the pipe.

I have some retail ordering experience. Here is a way that it could have
happened. Not necessarily THE way, just A way.

Christmas rolls around. A purchasing agent at whatever chain yours was sold
realise that they have not ordered enough DVD players to make it through
the holidays. They send out the word for more.

Some flunkie down at a computer desk in the basement discovers that the
Singapore supplier has a containerload destined for Cost Rica. A couple of
emails and a funds transfer and that container gets offloaded in Miami.
Warehouse distributes it and everyone is happy.

Season is so busy that nobody from the purchasing agent down thinks about
the fact that equipment with macrovision crap can't be given away in any
other country than the US and therefore is manufactured without it. Just
an oversight in the busy season. So a few mildly illegal boxes get placed
into the stream of trade in the US.

ICONER

You know what? I just noticed that my player doesn't have a rewind button
either!

Jon Purkey

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:03:40 -0500, Terkel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Question. I thought that MV had to be built into a consumer player by
>federal law. Right? If so, how did these get through the pipe.

Don't know. I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder that fails to detect
the Macrovision on about half the commercial tapes I own. I think it
only looks for the "do not copy" flag/bit. It won't do protected
DVD->VHS though, not that I would really want to.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))

Nic Caciappo

OOOooopps!